• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Africa: Tech, Econ, Workforce
Having watched the global nuclear scene earnestly for more than four years, I noticed that one country's nuclear pursuits presented red flags on several fronts, considering South Africa's (SA) ranking in industrial education, geo-political instability, internal government corruption, and financial imbalances.

So, it was not surprising to find several articles recently that highlighted those issues. One article: SA selling nuclear secrets to Russia? www.businesstech.co.za/news/general/99502/south-africa-selling-nuclear-secrets-to-russia/ asks what South Africa's governance was actually doing when it met with external agencies, governments, and industrial representatives. I read this article after I read a similar article: Annual report exposes Treasury on nuclear says DA www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2015/09/27/Annual-report-exposes-Treasury-on-nuclear-says-DA.

In 2009 this article announced SA's intention to prepare workers for nuclear employment: Universities prepare for nuclear future www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20091113142652444, yet in 2015 China hosted workers from SA and promised them educational degrees after a short series of seminars: Nuclear Power Skills Training Underway In South Africa Vendor-Country Wannabes www.afkinsider.com/100103/nuclear-power-skills-training-underway-in-south-africa-vendor-wannabe-countries/.

This June 2015 article presents corruption issues that the country's leader, Zuma, has to face: Zuma corruption charges: Lead NPA prosecutor throws weight behind DA ‘spy tapes’ court challenge www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2015-06-10-zuma-corruption-charges-lead-npa-prosecutor-throws-weight-behind-da-spy-tapes-court-challenge/#.VgkxJ3tG9js.

With an environment that favors renewable energy, off the grid solutions, decentralization, and which has a history of environmental racism imposed upon it by external actors, I question the capacity of SA to professionally and securely manage nuclear power facilities. I also ask, as I typically do, what do they do with their waste and what will they do with their future waste?

My burning question today, though, is:

How does South Africa get itself in a position to sell nuclear secrets to what I was led to believe were more advanced nuclear nations?
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(09-28-2015, 08:31 AM)piajensen Wrote: Having watched the global nuclear scene earnestly for more than four years, I noticed that one country's nuclear pursuits presented red flags on several fronts, considering South Africa's (SA) ranking in industrial education, geo-political instability, internal government corruption, and financial imbalances.

So, it was not surprising to find several articles recently that highlighted those issues. One article: SA selling nuclear secrets to Russia? www.businesstech.co.za/news/general/99502/south-africa-selling-nuclear-secrets-to-russia/ asks what South Africa's governance was actually doing when it met with external agencies, governments, and industrial representatives. I read this article after I read a similar article: Annual report exposes Treasury on nuclear says DA www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2015/09/27/Annual-report-exposes-Treasury-on-nuclear-says-DA.

In 2009 this article announced SA's intention to prepare workers for nuclear employment: Universities prepare for nuclear future www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20091113142652444, yet in 2015 China hosted workers from SA and promised them educational degrees after a short series of seminars: Nuclear Power Skills Training Underway In South Africa Vendor-Country Wannabes www.afkinsider.com/100103/nuclear-power-skills-training-underway-in-south-africa-vendor-wannabe-countries/.

This June 2015 article presents corruption issues that the country's leader, Zuma, has to face: Zuma corruption charges: Lead NPA prosecutor throws weight behind DA ‘spy tapes’ court challenge www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2015-06-10-zuma-corruption-charges-lead-npa-prosecutor-throws-weight-behind-da-spy-tapes-court-challenge/#.VgkxJ3tG9js.

With an environment that favors renewable energy, off the grid solutions, decentralization, and which has a history of environmental racism imposed upon it by external actors, I question the capacity of SA to professionally and securely manage nuclear power facilities. I also ask, as I typically do, what do they do with their waste and what will they do with their future waste?

My burning question today, though, is:

How does South Africa get itself in a position to sell nuclear secrets to what I was led to believe were more advanced nuclear nations?

The "nuclear secrets" referenced are proprietary (specific component design) in nature.  There have been big pushes recently to develop nuclear in South Africa, lots of countries would love to export there (or anywhere else they could sell tech to).  I'm guessing that during this courting process many companies shared technical information to try and get SA involved.
"All models are flawed, some are useful."
George E. P. Box

I was thinking along the same lines. Three may be "trespasses" on nuclear tech laws during such events, but which never get reported out because it's a normal part of any collective culture sharing and pursuing information.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Africa No Nukes piajensen 0 737 02-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Last Post: piajensen
  S Africa piajensen 0 1,057 05-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Last Post: piajensen
  So. Africa Energy Mgt Crisis piajensen 1 1,941 09-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Chasaha