• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WEBCAM May 2016
Post webcam observations for May here. Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s). Describe as best as possible what you see. Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi. Comments and analysis welcome. Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki

Direct network stream Futabagun http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archive sengoku1904
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Photo 
Some heavy colorfully scary looking emissions, just around midnight.

Majia reports: "The visible level of steam has been building back up recently. Is it because of leaks in the ice wall? I don't know...." http://www.majiasblog.blogspot.com.uy
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(05-02-2016, 03:08 PM)piajensen Wrote: Majia reports: "The visible level of steam has been building back up recently. Is it because of leaks in the ice wall? I don't know...." http://www.majiasblog.blogspot.com.uy

Hi Pia, I don't think it is ice wall leaks that are causing the steaming. The ice wall is to stop the flow of ground water in or out of the reactor basements.  Changing the flow of underground water in and around the reactors could be affecting the conditions for the out-of-containment corium fuel melts as highly contaminated water concentrates in the reactor basements.  TEPCO doesn't know where the corium are; if they're wet or dry; or how active they may be.  Normally, ultra pure water is used to cool spent fuel as contaminates may cause unwanted reactions.  I think nuclear reactions have been increasing at Dai-Ichi.  The spark activity steadily increased last year over the year before; and this year shows a steady increase over last year.  TEPCO's modifications to the camera feeds with the implantation of 'flowplayer' seems just another effort to conceal conditions at the disaster site.  Take note of MVB at AllegedlyApparent reporting recent detections of fission products.  I think TEPCO is better at stopping information leaks than it is at stopping radiation leaks.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

5-03 22:08 Watched cam4 shake, again at 22:20.  Saw some sparks in the heavy emissions.  

M4.1 - 162km E of Miyako, Japan 2016-05-03 12:06:10 (UTC)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e...b3#general

It is hard to say exactly what the cause of the changing emissions are. I haven't put my finger on it as there's too many unknown factors. What is the ambient air temp, how much difference in temp between various facilities, the ground, the air; where are the radioactive hotspots in relationship to the facilities we see on the webcams... etc. But, I have a hunch it's nuclear fissioning at the very least. So, you know, when I post (or tweet) other's reports, I am not necessarily embracing or endorsing their findings. You may wish to talk with Majia.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

an hour ago
(speed up vid)
http://youtu.be/vVNaIOWNuwk

(05-03-2016, 12:30 PM)piajensen Wrote: It is hard to say exactly what the cause of the changing emissions are. I haven't put my finger on it as there's too many unknown factors. What is the ambient air temp, how much difference in temp between various facilities, the ground, the air; where are the radioactive hotspots in relationship to the facilities we see on the webcams... etc. But, I have a hunch it's nuclear fissioning at the very least. So, you know, when I post (or tweet) other's reports, I am not necessarily embracing or endorsing their findings. You may wish to talk with Majia.

Yes, Pia, TY for posting reports, I didn’t mean to direct my comment at you or Majia personally, but considered it an opening to further comment.  The ice wall is thrust into the news but it seems more a political and economical move that TEPCO is making.  Designed to last 7 years but expected to stop the river of water flowing under the site for 200 years.  Risks include ground heaving, earth cracking, isotope concentration, liquefaction, and gaps at surface access points.  The stated purpose is to reduce the flow of water thru the highly contaminated reactor basements, but unintended consequences include flooding the site, and that might be the risky part intended; to flood the basements and cover dry fuel melts that are not being cooled or shielded.  Funny that they proceed with expensive technological fixes without knowing where the fuel melts are exactly.  Maybe the ice wall does reduce the flow of water thru the site and reduce the radioactive leakage out to the sea without causing unforeseen problems, good for them.  The reactor basements could be pumped and the highly contaminated water filtered.  The tank farm is full and prone to more leakage and failure over time.  The problem they still have is out-of-containment fuel melts creating more radioactive fission products.  The sparks and emissions have been going off and on for five years and radiation readings still show regular increases so the ice wall hasn’t changed anything yet.

(05-03-2016, 08:28 PM)missFrill Wrote: an hour ago
(speed up vid)

Thanks for posting that timelapse video, MissFrill.  It looked mostly like weather, another rain storm passing thru.  What I can't be sure of is how much of the fog was natural and how much is caused by the steaming radioactive releases.  The fogging wasn't a uniform gray over the area, it had dark clouds drifting thru.  I don't have much experience with natural coastal fog but I have watched the emissions of a power plant in cold weather.  Most days the warm steam isn't visible but get enough humidity or chill in the air and the steam emissions condense into a huge, visible cloud in the air.  One thing for sure, Dai-Ichi gets a lot of big, dramatic fogging events.

(05-04-2016, 07:20 AM)Horse Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 12:30 PM)piajensen Wrote: It is hard to say exactly what the cause of the changing emissions are. I haven't put my finger on it as there's too many unknown factors. What is the ambient air temp, how much difference in temp between various facilities, the ground, the air; where are the radioactive hotspots in relationship to the facilities we see on the webcams... etc. But, I have a hunch it's nuclear fissioning at the very least. So, you know, when I post (or tweet) other's reports, I am not necessarily embracing or endorsing their findings. You may wish to talk with Majia.

Yes, Pia, TY for posting reports, I didn’t mean to direct my comment at you or Majia personally, but considered it an opening to further comment.  The ice wall is thrust into the news but it seems more a political and economical move that TEPCO is making.  Designed to last 7 years but expected to stop the river of water flowing under the site for 200 years.  Risks include ground heaving, earth cracking, isotope concentration, liquefaction, and gaps at surface access points.  The stated purpose is to reduce the flow of water thru the highly contaminated reactor basements, but unintended consequences include flooding the site, and that might be the risky part intended; to flood the basements and cover dry fuel melts that are not being cooled or shielded.  Funny that they proceed with expensive technological fixes without knowing where the fuel melts are exactly.  Maybe the ice wall does reduce the flow of water thru the site and reduce the radioactive leakage out to the sea without causing unforeseen problems, good for them.  The reactor basements could be pumped and the highly contaminated water filtered.  The tank farm is full and prone to more leakage and failure over time.  The problem they still have is out-of-containment fuel melts creating more radioactive fission products.  The sparks and emissions have been going off and on for five years and radiation readings still show regular increases so the ice wall hasn’t changed anything yet.

(speed up vid) [2016.05.04_03.00-06.00.Unit1side ]

Thanks for posting that timelapse video, MissFrill.  It looked mostly like weather, another rain storm passing thru.  What I can't be sure of is how much of the fog was natural and how much is caused by the steaming radioactive releases.  The fogging wasn't a uniform gray over the area, it had dark clouds drifting thru.  I don't have much experience with natural coastal fog but I have watched the emissions of a power plant in cold weather.  Most days the warm steam isn't visible but get enough humidity or chill in the air and the steam emissions condense into a huge, visible cloud in the air.  One thing for sure, Dai-Ichi gets a lot of big, dramatic fogging events.

Undecided I noticed an odd phenomenon on top of R1 at  1:03 1:04 in on the speed up vid.
( 2016-05-04 4:08:56 jst clock approximately)

The upper right corner (sw) begins to build a fog bubble at about :56 seconds in and then the 'bubble' of 'heavy fog' seems to burst like an overflowing fish tank  down the side of R1.  

Never seen that before.

Maybe a fast raindrop splatter. ?

(05-04-2016, 08:54 PM)Chasaha Wrote:

Undecided  I noticed an odd phenomenon on top of R1 at  1:03 1:04 in on the speed up vid.

The upper right corner (sw) begins to build a fog bubble at about :56 seconds in and then the 'bubble' of 'heavy fog' seems to burst like an overflowing fish tank  down the side of R1.  

Never seen that before.

Hi ChasAha, you picked a pretty good example.  I've seen these puffs before and over the same spot.  Here's a 3 minute video from the recording that shows a couple sparks in the first minute, the fog bubble in the second minute.  The third minute was the slow fade.  

The sparks, in case you missed them at 04:07:05 and 04:07:42.  

Each of the reactor sfp's are steaming but the largest volume probably comes out of the common spent fuel pool.  I watched that night for a few hours and scanned the recording but I didn't see any of those fast dripping raindrops to account for the fog bubble.

Lightbulb 
(05-05-2016, 01:24 AM)Horse Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 08:54 PM)Chasaha Wrote:

Undecided  I noticed an odd phenomenon on top of R1 at  1:03 1:04 in on the speed up vid.

Never seen that before.

Hi ChasAha, you picked a pretty good example.  I've seen these puffs before and over the same spot.  Here's a 3 minute video from the recording that shows a couple sparks in the first minute, the fog bubble in the second minute.  The third minute was the slow fade.  

The sparks, in case you missed them at 04:07:05 and 04:07:42.  

Each of the reactor sfp's are steaming but the largest volume probably comes out of the common spent fuel pool.  I watched that night for a few hours and scanned the recording but I didn't see any of those fast dripping raindrops to account for the fog bubble.

Interesting that the sparks, (good ones!), come just prior to the 'bubble' wave and that you've observed this in the same area before.

Idea My gut feeling, purely speculative opinion, is that the bubble wave on top of R1 is related to the rogue core. Like a mini volcano vent belching.  It may be easier to see because of the mist and temps, but I don't think its shoreline fog or rain related.  

The current work of the CFSP, covering on the CAM4 view side recently, tells me they're trying to contain something.   The steam emission events lately tell me they're not doing so well.   Sad

May 1 cam view shows explosion -- (time-stamp at the end)
http://youtu.be/JYz3wzknP6M

(05-05-2016, 10:39 PM)missFrill Wrote: May 1 cam view shows explosion --  (time-stamp at the end)
http://youtu.be/JYz3wzknP6M

The video appears to be cam1 zoomed to the area over the r3 pit. Cam1 looks to the south.  Reactors 5 & 6 are to the north of the plant. The timestamp seems to be a local computer time instead of a JST time.  I need a JST time to find events in a recording.  The mostly blue color in the video looks to be a dawn or sunset time.  Often see light flashes over the r3 pit, some have been ships in the harbor, some could be work lights on r3.

(05-05-2016, 03:38 PM)Chasaha Wrote: Interesting that the sparks, (good ones!), come just prior to the 'bubble' wave and that you've observed this in the same area before.

Idea  My gut feeling, purely speculative opinion, is that the bubble wave on top of R1 is related to the rogue core. Like a mini volcano vent belching.  It may be easier to see because of the mist and temps, but I don't think its shoreline fog or rain related.  

The current work of the CFSP, covering on the CAM4 view side recently, tells me they're trying to contain something.   The steam emission events lately tell me they're not doing so well.   Sad

TY ChasAha, your speculative opinion is pretty close to mine, I don't think Fuku fog is just normal coastal fogging and a good rain just blurs out the camera views.  The steamy radioactive vapor clouds are invisible in warm dry weather but the spent fuels pools are constantly evaporating contaminates into the air.  When the warm steam rising over the open spent fuel pool hits the cold wind blowing over the open roof of reactor 1 the condensation becomes visible.  It curls down the building as the vapor cloud sinks in colder air and slowly dissipates.  The reactor core is below the SFP and has melted down and out.  The reactor fuel melts steaming away might be more contained or localized deeper within the structure adding more heat and steam as it rises to the surface.  When cool moist weather passes thru, I notice the sparking, then fogging, a pause as it dissipates, more sparks, more fogging or emissions, pause, sparks… in a repeating cycle over a few hours.  More frequent sparking usually produces bigger emission clouds in cool moist weather.  In warm dry air the sparks still fly but the foggy emissions aren't as visible.  From the earliest days TEPCO has tried to keep the common spent fuel pool area out of camera view, edging the camera over so we can't see the area directly above the common pool anymore.  Some time ago I read that TEPCO had to run lines from the reactor sfps to the common pool to use the cooling and filtering equipment in the common pool because cooling/filtering equipment at the reactor's sfps were inoperable or inaccessible.  Don't have a source and don't know if conditions have changed.  

The work week ended with hardly any small crane movement and no large remote crane movement.  No signs of life.  Few work lights at night.  Large earthquake cluster is followed by a weeklong work pause and cranes remain down.

(05-06-2016, 05:44 AM)Horse Wrote:  The steamy radioactive vapor clouds ...

Good description.

(05-08-2016, 07:16 AM)Chasaha Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 05:44 AM)Horse Wrote:  The steamy radioactive vapor clouds ...

Good description.

TY, emissions is a tough topic for me. Reactor 1 has had strange emissions coming out the roof opening since they removed the roof panels last year.  Dai-Ichi gets normal weather that turns into radioactive fallout weather when it hits the local conditions over the plant.  

6-10 22:20 Raindrops dripping down both cameras; looked like quite a few sparks on cam1, blurs and webs on cam4. Striped lights on r1 only seem to shine in the rain.

Photo 
Noticed straps 'flapping' at the CSFP wall.    Angel  
(Sort of like shredded tarp material.)

Image from Unit 4 side :
2016-05-12 7:20 - 7: 30 jst

IMO - Since we observed the workers scrambling outside at the CSFP and then the dark cover added and now the flapping straps... I would say there is more going on at the CSFP than meets the eye, if you get my drift. Wink

CSFP workers scrambling outside:
2016-03-23 Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDu8FlNedoA

Workers outside in horrible weather conditions at CSFP:
2016-04-04 Screenshot
http://caferadlab.com/thread-378-post-1288.html#pid1288

Timelapse video – workers on csfp.
2016.05.12_09.00-12.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZ30y3esso

05-13 A little green spark on cam4 at dawn.

Photo 
(05-13-2016, 06:09 AM)Horse Wrote: Timelapse video – workers on csfp.
2016.05.12_09.00-12.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZ30y3esso

Noticed a GIANT PUFF of SMOKE at 1:04 in on the video.  Sad
2016-05-12 10:11 jst

Comes in from the west and moves across the facility.

It can barely be seen on the UNIT 1 Side cam, but it's there, at the right time.
2016.05.12_09.00-12.00.Unit1side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y8SCCTm0P8

I can't remember how to find Fuku LONG versions.. anybody?

(05-13-2016, 07:32 AM)Chasaha Wrote: I can't remember how to find Fuku LONG versions.. anybody?

https://www.youtube.com/user/fuku1long/v...freload=10

As you can see fuku1long hasn't uploaded since mid Feb 2015.   Sad

The fuku1long archive is still a great place to go spark hunting.  

Noticed in the 5-12 timelapse, the r2 outside elevator went up and down too; quick inspection of the roof of r2.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM December 2016 Horse 55 39,563 01-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM November 2016 Horse 73 66,142 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
  WEBCAM October 2016 Horse 52 48,257 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM
  WEBCAM September 2016 Horse 62 50,965 10-02-2016, 01:00 AM
  WEBCAM August 2016 Horse 44 37,879 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Last Post: piajensen