• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Current model for storing nuclear waste is incomplete
"The materials the United States and other countries plan to use to store high-level nuclear waste will likely degrade faster than anyone previously knew because of the way those materials interact, new research shows.

The findings, published today in the journal Nature Materials, show that corrosion of nuclear waste storage materials accelerates because of changes in the chemistry of the nuclear waste solution, and because of the way the materials interact with one another."

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-current-nu...plete.html

I like that suggestions of it being "new research".

Hey, you guys have been following this sort of stuff far more than I have, do you guys feel like perhaps commenting there or mentioning specifics I'd mention there on your behalf?

I do have many things to address, infections, poisons, so...I'd appreciate some help.

(01-27-2020, 12:10 PM)OS-Iris Wrote: "The materials the United States and other countries plan to use to store high-level nuclear waste will likely degrade faster than anyone previously knew because of the way those materials interact, new research shows.

The findings, published today in the journal Nature Materials, show that corrosion of nuclear waste storage materials accelerates because of changes in the chemistry of the nuclear waste solution, and because of the way the materials interact with one another."

Hey, you guys have been following this sort of stuff far more than I have, do you guys feel like perhaps commenting there or mentioning specifics I'd mention there on your behalf?

I do have many things to address, infections, poisons, so...I'd appreciate some help.

Everyone has heard that Einstein suggested the U.S. build an atomic bomb. In retrospect Einstein voiced regrets and became a vocal opponent of war.  The Russel-Einstein Manifesto highlighted the dangers posed by nuclear and called for world leaders to seek peaceful resolutions to international conflict. The signatories included eleven pre-eminent intellectuals and scientists, 

Einstein wrote;

"the idea of achieving security through national armament is… a disastrous illusion," that the arms race between the US and the Soviet Union had assumed a "hysterical character," and that with the advent of hydrogen bombs, "radioactive poisoning of the atmosphere and hence annihilation of any life on Earth has been brought within the range of technical possibilities."

Is there anything more serious or important than  annihilation of  life on Earth?  Your investment portfolio perhaps?

His comments prompted FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to direct the FBI offices across the country to find all available "derogatory information" on Einstein.    They tried to smear Einstein using all manner of surveillance, lasting until his death.  The ever present threat of nuclear holocaust is obvious madness
we are healthy with background radiation but unhealthy with the same dose from fallout

(01-27-2020, 04:08 PM)Code Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 12:10 PM)OS-Iris Wrote: "The materials the United States and other countries plan to use to store high-level nuclear waste will likely degrade faster than anyone previously knew because of the way those materials interact, new research shows.

A classroom of mentally retarded students were left unsupervised for some duration, long enough for one of the children to open a storage closet and find a gallon of roofing tar.  He proceeded to pour this roofing tar on everything, including the heads of some of the other children.   Not able to foresee the consequences, none of the children attempted to stop the proceedings.   When the supervisor returned and attempted a futile clean up of the tar from the childrens hair and inability to return the tar to the container,  he wrote a simple memo to the parents and faculty.  Cleanup of storage content incomplete.

Well thats a rather poor analogy, but it points to one of the more fundamental issues of the nuclear waste problem.  Why are there super toxic synthetic radionuclides literally everywhere on the planet except in safe storage?  Its been 70 years, and we are still pouring tar on everything with no cleanup strategy or concern for consequences.  The analogy would be closer if we substituted mercury or arsenic for the tar.   Outrage would be the appropriate response of the parents and an immediate end to the careless spreading of the toxic material 

The cut off point for mental retardation is sometimes given as an IQ of 70.  One to three percent of the population falls in that category.  But its important to realize the obvious; the IQ or to take one aspect, the inability to foresee consequences is a relative and sliding scale.  Einsteins IQ is said to be 160 to 190.   If we were to set that level as non retarded, then by definition all of the people promoting nuclear would be retarded. But even Einstein made mistakes, so perhaps the perfectly non retarded IQ is 1000.  The point is that a prudent person checks their hubris and refrains from creating super toxins which they have no plan for safe storage, if such a thing even exists.

The nuclear storage predicament SHOULD  be a wake up call to stop the production of these materials, just like a supervisor returning to a room of kids with tar in their hair.  The very first thing the supervisor does is to stop the pouring of the tar, and then to figure out how to remove the tar,  probably by shearing them bald and using toxic solvents. 

Shouldnt the decision of making nuclear bombs and waste be left to higher IQ supervisors with education in the field rather than politicians who in their corporate alliance and pecuniary fervor are more concerned with profit rather than poison?  

Everyone has heard that Einstein suggested the U.S. build an atomic bomb. In retrospect Einstein voiced regrets and became a vocal opponent of war.  The Russel-Einstein Manifesto highlighted the dangers posed by nuclear and called for world leaders to seek peaceful resolutions to international conflict. The signatories included eleven pre-eminent intellectuals and scientists, 

Einstein wrote;

"the idea of achieving security through national armament is… a disastrous illusion," that the arms race between the US and the Soviet Union had assumed a "hysterical character," and that with the advent of hydrogen bombs, "radioactive poisoning of the atmosphere and hence annihilation of any life on Earth has been brought within the range of technical possibilities."

Is there anything more serious or important than  annihilation of  life on Earth?  Your investment portfolio perhaps?

His comments prompted FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to direct the FBI offices across the country to find all available "derogatory information" on Einstein.   This is somewhat like the retarded kid pouring the tar on everything attempting to blacklist the supervisor.  They tried to smear Einstein using all manner of surveillance, lasting until his death, but in the end they failed.  Mutual assured destruction never gained favor in the logic of the highly intelligent, yet remains the default outcome of the nuclear stockpile

Well that's far too much for me to be able to use as a comment/reference on that site (and ironically I'm dealing with some people, playing in a game, that can't teach me anything as I type this, it's Quick Aikido). But I was wondering, if the earth had already solved that storage problem, with say, gold, silver, lead and such, wouldn't it be quite stupid, or even...worse, to ignore that?

Why are differential corrections in systemic senses so difficult to explain to idiots, especially if you start considering things such as -1st order effects? Why are the oldest organisms on the planet not vaccinated, despite having experienced many pathogens, diseases and change? Why oh why do people think that more numbers derived in a cave, while their habitat is crumbling, will save them? Judging by that, I have to conclude that they have fath in the supernatural, god, etc. Coz they clearly can't explain it, or explain it clearly.

As I understand it, Plato is actually a misspelling of Playdough. Thanks edumedications!

The planet has solved it. It's stored in the entirety of the closed loop bio-sphere. Not limited to but including every living thing on this planet. Their God is ecstatic. Money.

OS-iris, there is a thread on nuclear storage started by Jebus. http://caferadlab.com/thread-3747.html
Just saying, if we keep pertinent information together I feel all will be better served. The directory is a helpful tool.

"Well that's far too much for me to be able to use as a comment/reference on that site"

I know that.  

I review some of the IAEA guidelines for effective communication here 
 http://caferadlab.com/thread-3767-post-1...l#pid10846

Know your target audience and exactly what points to make. keep it short.  Use plain language.  Use a reference to a trusted authority.  Include a stand out sentence that can be said within 10 seconds. 

Stupidity is close friends with greed narcissism and hubris. Indeed Stephen Hawking affirms: “We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity.”

I think you were after something more technical and less sociological.  I apologize for my excesses
we are healthy with background radiation but unhealthy with the same dose from fallout

Martin E. Hellman, P.h.D.  points out that given enough time nuclear war is a certainty.  

Despite the warning from our brightest scientists of immanent destruction (doomsday clock set to 100 seconds before midnight), we continue to produce atomic weapons and nuclear fuel waste which we have never figured out how to store for thousands of years into the uncertain future.

The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, or WIPP, is the world's third deep geological repository.  in 2014 there was an explosion of a storage container, 17 people were contaminated and radiation leaked to the environment.  The cost exceeded $2 billion

The other two nuclear waste storage facilities, Morsleben radioactive waste repository and Asse II mine, which were hoped to last for 10,000 years are plagued with uncontrolled instability and costly remediation. 

Add to this dismal failure of vitrification and its clear that the rush to mutual assured destruction and capitalization of Uranium was a remarkably  bad idea.    A failure of colossal proportions

Ah well, practically impossible to communicate with a retarded pretargeted audience that I can't even recognize.

*shrug*

I tried. I failed. You died.

(01-27-2020, 07:26 PM)OS-Iris Wrote: Ah well, practically impossible to communicate with a retarded pretargeted audience that I can't even recognize.

*shrug*

Hey OS-Iris, I read all of your comments at Phys org about the self accelerated corrosion of vitreous storage and I thought they were all good...well done.     

despite my best efforts I just make tedious bloat.

(01-27-2020, 08:02 PM)Code Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 07:26 PM)OS-Iris Wrote: Ah well, practically impossible to communicate with a retarded pretargeted audience that I can't even recognize.

*shrug*

Hey OS-Iris, I read all of your comments at Phys org about the self accelerated corrosion of vitreous storage and I thought they were all good...well done.     

despite my best efforts I just make tedious bloat.

Oh you noticed I obviously had to log in with another account there and mistype while I wasn't even there, taking drugs as well as dealing with a bunch of infections, and commenting on other articles (although I can't say I did well with those, as I had to basically blindly copy/paste links due to not really having references handy, internet search bias/censorship and such)? I thought that was pretty impressive too, I almost can't believe my memory would be so good considering I haven't read any of the nuclear stuff since about 3 years ago.

As an aside, no civilian has died as a result of nuclear power plants in the past 50 years. This is a serious problem. Which is also why I love insistence on singular causative factors.

I say that in a very cynical sense, of course. Because, if say, a teenager, typical civilian, doctor or even engineer searches for disease, damage, death related to nuclear power plants, you basically can't find any such references or statistics indicating damage. There is practically no info connecting damage from mining, to processing, to nuclear power plant operation, to waste, to DU and bombs. Which is taken as guaranteed assurance of safety, luckily.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuclear Deadly Waste Contained ? DUDe 1 579 11-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Last Post: rthsmth