• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

WEBCAM May 2019
Post webcam observations for May here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Time Lapse Archives
Fukushima Daiichi
sengoku1904
Fuku1long

Archive of ENENews

Maps
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Quote: It seems to me that people should be a long, long way away from the Daiichi plant unless they are critical for mitigation efforts there.  So, why are people being forced back into their villages in the area by elimination of subsidies for evacuees?  Why are the Olympics being held anywhere near Fukushima?"

The Olympics are being held in Japan because of wishful thinking.  The objective reality is that parts of Japan are now contaminated to some degree with radioactive nuclides from the Fukushima disaster.  All the wishful thinking that makes up nuclear practices has made it difficult to quantify the real danger of living, working, or playing amidst radioactive fallout.  Exposure to radioactive fallout has serious health consequences.  To utilize nuclear energy our eyes have been blindfolded to the consequences of radioactive contamination.  Critical thinking is based on observing objective reality, as science is based on testing objective reality.  When people turn away from observing objective reality, their wishful thinking traps people into making bad decisions.  Wishful thinking is a hard habit to break when reality looks so harsh.  

I notice the first few days of May the Tepcams are still.  Not showing movement as I would expect on work days.  Happy May Day holidays.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

So much money is being spent on a great Olympic Games that would have been better spent helping people relocate away from contaminated areas, removing the spent fuel assemblies and stopping the contamination flowing into the sea. Cheap solutions stretch out the timetable, nuclear waste is only a problem for the next generation. The government wants you all to know how safe you are under their wise leadership.

Watching this and wondering.
Best thoughts

(05-06-2019, 01:31 PM)Felibi Wrote: Watching this and wondering.
Best thoughts

and now light off bottom right. Smoke seems to be subsiding. It was smoke? What do you think?

Thanks Felibi.  I have a gap from 12:30 to 3:30 where the feed stopped.  In the hours before midnight I saw rain on Cam1 with a little web in the lower right hand corner.  Cam4, no rain, there was an overall fog very briefly but clear most of the night.  When I restarted the feeds and my recorders I saw rain drop down the screen on cam4.  What Felibi posted could have been camera lens fogging or some local fogging from reactor heat/emissions, hard to tell.  The air was saturated so both are possible.  There hasn’t been anything moving on the Tepcams since the beginning of the month.  I’m delighted that Felibi’s is watching and reporting.  Tepco has been known to do stuff in the dark of night before work starts in earnest. The moisture seems to have cleaned the lenses and the cam views are crystal clear in the morning, 05-07.  At 10:16 I noticed a puff of white coming from the left side of cam4.  Faint and didn’t last long, and another puff at 10:22. They won't show up well in grabs, we'll see later when I stop that recording.  Here's some of the night before.    

This morning JST, crane activity. You can see sth dangling on the far left. I was lucky to grab that pic... Duh!
Just watched episode 1 of HBO mini series. Chernobyl. Excellent. With Stellan Skarsgård :-)

(05-07-2019, 07:28 PM)Felibi Wrote: This morning JST, crane activity. You can see sth dangling on the far left. I was lucky to grab that pic... Duh!
Just watched episode 1 of HBO mini series. Chernobyl. Excellent. With Stellan Skarsgård :-)

it was 07 58 JST

More dangling stuff ...

Felibi, I just watched the first episode of the Chernobyl mini-series, too.  What struck me was how the people didn’t know the radiation was upon them.  The ones that had an idea of how bad it was locked down the city so no one could leave.  Looks like a good drama unfolding as well as telling the story of that terrible disaster.  

05-08   I noticed all the crane activity.  I started noting the times when I saw the load show on both Tepcams at once, four times.  You posted one framed just right, between the cranes.  I'll post the last one I noted.  I caught the puff of smoke on cam4 and show the tool going into r1 the rest of the afternoon.  

Just wanted to post the heavy emissions that bring out the colors day and night. One comparison in March to May after they started work on R3.

(05-11-2019, 11:50 AM)piajensen Wrote: That's a tough call... not enough 'data' (photo sets) to really get a handle on anything to compare. When I click on the pics I do see the file names include times and dates. That is helpful.

Just the colors Pia, nothing else, no rocket science data to offer.

Hi Califnative, thanks for the pics.  The first two pics show a different angle of solar lighting from 10am to 1pm.  The sunlight in the sky portions show different haze in the sky.  The white panel of r4 shows some interesting color variations.  The third pic at night, lots of color and light variations in that area with the work going on atop r3.  At the bottom the color variations may be different lights reflecting from the ground level.  Your first picture shows the area where I see the most activity, between the tower and the crane on the left side.   There seems to be a walkway from just behind the tower extending to the right where the red wall starts.  Here's some pics of workers in white suits crossing the gap.  

I noted two days of unusual local Fuku weather. The 16th and 17th the tepcams were socked in with grey. The way it hung in the sky, shifted from one camera to both, it behaved more like a smoke event than fog rolling in and out. The sky when it appeared was blue. I watched cranes moving after the grey cleared so work continues. Pia posted news from microcarpa that the crane to take down the top of the exhaust stack was over a meter short. Expecting some delays in the decommissioning comes out of Tepco too often these days.

I had provided a paper in a debate a long time ago...that showed radiation was capable of nucleating fog and creating a stationary fog bank, in spite of wind.  Of course we cant say that applies...but the possibility is there.   Some bad stuff in the spent fuel or something. 

Here is an ion cloud, I presume, over fuku in the early days

Attached Files Image(s)

we are healthy with background radiation but unhealthy with the same dose from fallout

I remember seeing that pic, there was one that showed a mushroom cloud shape in dawn's light from that camera too. That looks like a Futaba grab. Do you have a date for the Fuku beam? It looks like before they had r4 all covered up.

Fuku does get unusual fog. The fog at times had that layered look, clear at the top and bottom, thick grey in the middle. The two days stood out from the week's weather so I noted them. For all I know, they could be from incinerators onsite, but I thought those were filtered or at least they should be. Fuku decommissioning hasn't gotten nearly the money that Japan is spending on the Olympics. I'm glad to see a crane wiggle so I know some effort is being made.

the earliest date I have for the photo is ‎December ‎17, ‎2014,.    I am the one who enhanced the contrast.  I did not ADD anything, just contrast.   I explained that when I first put out the enhanced image.    I enhanced the image because I am adept at observation and I could see what others were missing....so I increased the contrast so the action was clearly visible.    I can see now that the image wandered around the world and caused some confusion....what could cause it?   But the answer is really the same regardless of image contrast..because the stuff...whatever it is, is there....an ionization effect I believe.
we are healthy with background radiation but unhealthy with the same dose from fallout

Code, I found this video on Chasaha's youtube site,
STOPnukesNOW
showing much the same as your pic, the ominous plume that emanated from Fuku.  

Here's a link to Majia'a collection of grabs that includes more pink sky shots on the Futaba cam.
Pink Sky Sep 14 2014.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nur9wrfnlw2jw...4.pdf?dl=0

The sky just isn't as pink as it was back then.  R4 and R3 have both been covered up and radiation on the south side isn't as bad as it was.  The north side is still too radioactive for workers to spend much time there so remote cranes and robots are used.  

From notes, some observations.  I didn't have time to grab some pics, but you've seen the like here before.

05-19  20:40 c1 spark at the start of a moon transit

05-20 C1 sparks at sunset, one at 19:21.  20:12 r3 workers crossing the gap.

05-22 16:09 C4 showed a large crane load stayed on camera over a half hour.  It wasn't visible on cam1 that I noticed.  Moved very slowly, it was a very large load.  16:32 workers crossing the gap on R3.  17:08  C1 crane pulls tool out of r1, visible on C4.

Forgot to mention there was a rainy, foggy day, a few days ago. It looked like a normal storm, skies were cloudy, rain splattered on both cams, the grey fog enveloped both screens, stayed there and then left when the skies cleared.

Hi all. "TEPCO postpones work to remove exhaust stack at Fukushima plant"
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201905170049.html
I'm so glad you're here CRL, Horse, Pia and all. Long live.

Felibi, I don't know if this has to do with the vent tower removal but there was a large crane load moved recently that reminded me of the other unusual load at night.  On 10-23 an object came into partial view on the right side of cam1, moved into view and started rising up off screen.  As it started moving I noticed an object on the left edge of cam4 moving up, later it came into full view as it was lowered.  Here's some clips.  

Test to see how much Mb I'm using... (266.44 KB)

Thank you, Felibi, we have the attachment problem fixed now. Plenty of room for more now.

June 2019, here you are! Thanks Horse. Always.
http://caferadlab.com/thread-3581.html