• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

WEBCAM April 2019
Post webcam observations for April here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Time Lapse Archives
Fukushima Daiichi
sengoku1904
Fuku1long

Cameras nearby
Futabagun  Direct network stream using VLC media player http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf
*** This camera view dropped out a few days ago, at the end of March.  

Here's a link to other cams in Japan.  
http://livejapan.fujiyamasan.com/fukushimaken2.html

Archive of ENENews
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

04-01 093430 c1 load.bmp

A burst of sparks during a moon transit that was obscured by clouds.  

04-03 010923 spark.bmp
04-03 011040 spark.bmp
04-03 011239 spark.bmp
04-03 011449 spark.bmp
04-03 011922 spark.bmp
04-03 012255 spark.bmp

3 pics

"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Can't watch. Webcams are out for me. :-(

Hi Felibi, I have had intermittent internet outages today. Last month when you saw that anomaly with no time stamp headers, my internet stopped an hour before that and took 24 hours for my Comcast to get the internet back up, so I missed that one. I get the cameras right this minute but I've had to restart them several times today. We'd be lost in a world without electricity.

(04-09-2019, 08:25 PM)Horse Wrote: Hi Felibi, I have had intermittent internet outages today.  Last month when you saw that anomaly with no time stamp headers, my internet stopped an hour before that and took 24 hours for my Comcast to get the internet back up, so I missed that one.  I get the cameras right this minute but I've had to restart them several times today.  We'd be lost in a world without electricity.

NPPs would be utterly lost. Like Fuk.
If the collapse is unavoidable, awareness.
Of course, it's easier for some than others! (Talking about awareness, not electricity! Tough for everyone)
The Japan times 4 days ago... Awakening takes time. Acceptance even more. 
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/0...K18iKTgp7P
Still no webcams :-  
:-) Yes, smiles to you anyway

Things have settled down tonight for me. Camera recorders have been running all night. My internet problems yesterday were probably Windows Updates coming in on the second Tuesday of each month. I'm using most of the bandwith that I pay for and I've got six computers running that are all trying to update on the same day.

The article about extending NPP life to 60 years. They were designed for 40 year lifespan. Not a good idea running beyond the design limit even with improvements, some parts are still too old.

Smiles back to you Felibi.

04-10  22:10  There was rain dripping down both tepcams.  It was odd to see the rain dripping down the middle of cam4 with the webs along the sides.  The rain dripping down is the grey streak on the vent tower.  Cam4 started a red light flashing on the corner of the r2 extension.  It was a little dimmer on cam1 but visible and they blinked in unison, the tepcams a few seconds different in timestamp.  The red light blinking was intermittent and lasted about half the night.  I haven't seen this light before blinking away. In the early days there were a lot of red lights blinking all the time that some said were radiation warning lights. I caught a spark on the left side of cam1 while scanning the recording for five minutes.  

On this 2019 4 11, the day when Julian Assange's eviction of the Ecuadorian embassy in London by Scotland Yard,
webcams are back.
Some things are right. Well, if Fuk. were right, we wouldn't be here.
When Truth becomes a crime and nukes are safe.

Felibi, glad you can see the tepcams again. It's about 06:30 jst 4-12 and cam1 has this eerie blue glow on the right side of the screen, right under the r2 extension. I know its sunlight reflection but I had to look for awhile to make sure. Fuku and surrounding areas will always be dead zones from the long-lived radionuclide fallout. Clean-up of a town is only good till the wind blows more in and people are still confined, unable to use the commons that was once their livelihood, lest they track contaminated dirt back into homes. Wipe your feet, like Mom says, don't track that Fuku into the house. Sad for families that have to live that way. I read about Assange's arrest this morning. He's been confined for years, they should just let him go with time served. So much propaganda, I can hardly find the speck of truth.

04-12 pm  I glanced up and saw this light coming down cam1.  I looked in the recordings to see what it was.  I found a dim spark in there.  I still see a few but with the bright lights making the vent tower glow I don't notice as many.  Here's some Pics and a 2.5 minute video.  You can find the spark in the video and it should become clear what the light is.  

Some idea of what goes on.  Microcarpa mentions a hasty work schedule, not necessarily clean enough for safe operations.  From Microcarpa twitter.  
https://twitter.com/microcarpa1/status/1...8417775616

Fuel storage capacity of Fukushima Daiichi and Daini nuclear power plants
https://www.pref.fukushima.lg.jp/sec/160...nan10.html

Date published: January 15, 2019    google translated

https://www.pref.fukushima.lg.jp/site/ge...an515.html
Quote:Overview
From Tokyo Electric Power Co., Ltd., we will explain the disassembly plan for Unit 1 X-braces, tidying up residual pieces of Unit 2 Opflo, removal of spent fuel from Unit 3 disassembly plan for Unit 1 and 2 stacks, and problems with Unit 3 fuel handling equipment As a result, we confirmed the Unit 1 X Brace cutting at the site and the Unit 1/2 exhaust stack. In addition, in the seismic isolation building, the situation of putting away the remains of the operation floor in the Unit 2 remote control room and the situation of the remote control room from which spent fuel was taken out in the Unit 3 remote control room were confirmed. In the report of the malfunction of the Unit 3 fuel handling equipment, it was reported that a break and foreign matter were confirmed inside the cable connection section laid outdoors.
Main explanation contents
(Confirmation of situation concerning fuel removal)
The removal work of the Unit 1 reactor building rubble is an obstacle to the work to access the spent fuel pool, so the work of removing the steel frame called X brace, which is a structural material of the building, is performed by the remote control robot.
A remote-controllable robot was inserted from the opening installed on the west side outer wall of the Unit 2 reactor building, and analysis of air dose and smear (wipe off) of floor and wall was performed.
For Unit 3 spent fuel removal, remove debris in the spent fuel pool and take out fuel. Explain the process.
(About the work to be carried out in the future, the trouble that occurred in the vicinity, etc.)
The Unit 1/2 stack is dismantled to secure earthquake resistance, and the stack with a height of 120m is dismantled to a half length. While cutting from above the tube body and the steel tower, make it shorter. The construction is done by remote control and mockup tests of full size are being conducted.
During the pre-use inspection of the Unit 3 fuel handling facility (FHM (* 1) • crane), an alarm was generated on the fuel handling machine, which made it unusable and interrupted the pre-use inspection. When investigating the cause, disconnection and foreign matter were found inside the cable connection.
While cleaning up the equipment using the No. 3 oplo crane, an error occurred and the crane stopped. In investigating this cause, it was found that a load exceeding the rated load was suspended, and the case was reported to the Labor Standards Inspection Office.
(* 1) FHM: Fuel Handling Machine; Fuel Handling Device (Refueling Machine)

The crane load shining brightly in the video and pictures above was a first on the cams that I’ve seen even during the day.  I think it may have something to do with the vent tower 1 for reactors 1 and 2 being dismantled.  Looking at some other pictures it looks like cam1 is the only one showing vent tower 1 and the top half to be removed is zoomed out of the current field of view.  Cam4 currently shows us a view of vent towers 2 and 3 but not vent towers 1 or 4.  The cam4 pictures only showed the load at the start and at the end of dropping the load.  I hoped we would see the work of dismantling vent tower 1 on both cams but it looks like we won’t be able to see much on cam1 either because we can’t see the top half of vent tower 1 and cam4 doesn't show any of vent tower 1.  One thing that has always puzzled me about the vent towers was why so many?  If tower one was for reactors 1 and 2, and tower 2 was for reactors 3 and 4, what were the other two vent towers used for?  Here’s some pictures that show wider views to see different perspectives of the four vent towers on the site and an old one from Microcarpa that shows the damage that is making the removal of the top half of vent tower 1 so urgent.  

Cryptome Capture 0356 showing vent towers 1, 2,, and 3 from left to right
Yolpkli 150  TBG  cam4 full field of view
2011-11-12 hi-res view Nuckelchen
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 07_04_52 crop 150 Microcarpa

Local firm to take on hazardous demolition at Fukushima plant - April 11, 2019

The work will begin in May to demolish a 120-meter-tall exhaust stack that has kept workers at bay. Radiation levels of 2 sieverts per hour around the stack, sufficient to kill anybody who spends more than a few hours in the area. Expected to take up to six months. The exhaust stack was badly damaged in a hydrogen explosion caused by the nuclear accident. The structure would pose a danger if it fell. Given the hazardous nature of the project, Able Co., the local company that will undertake the task, will use remote controlled equipment deployed on a 750-ton crane to “slice” through the upper half of the structure. 

The demolition equipment will be manipulated remotely from a control room in a converted bus. One fear is that strong gusts of winds could affect the operation. Workers will operate the equipment by watching images captured by 160 cameras mounted on and around the device.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201904110004.html - with pictures.
Fukushima 311 Watchdog

So they are starting to remove 566 nuclear fuel rods from building 3 in April. Should be interesting to watch on the webcam if we can see them lift containers outside of reactor 3 by crane and transfer to a trailer on ground level. This sounds incredibly risky and precarious in the open air! See diagram procedure from link below.

TEPCO to start removing fuel at Fukushima’s No. 3 reactor - April 12, 2019

TEPCO workers will use remote control to remove nuclear fuel assemblies kept in the pool on the upper floors of the No. 3 reactor building. Utility officials acknowledge that the process will not be easy, as they have no experience conducting such a dangerous task remotely.  The 566 nuclear fuel assemblies in the storage pool will be removed under a plan expected to take two years to complete

The No. 3 reactor will also serve as a test case for eventually removing spent nuclear fuel from the No. 1 and No. 2 reactor buildings. Workers will be stationed in a control room about 500 meters from the reactor building and use remote control equipment while observing the process through monitors. Each nuclear fuel assembly will be lifted and transferred to a special transport container that can hold up to seven such assemblies in water. The container will then be carried out of the reactor building by crane, which will then lower the container outside of the building to a trailer about 30 meters below at ground level.

As a hydrogen explosion blew off the roof of the No. 3 reactor building in the wake of the 2011 nuclear accident, a semi-cylindrical copper covering has been placed over the building to prevent radioactive materials from spreading when the spent nuclear fuel is being removed. 

The work at the No. 3 reactor will serve as a model for a similar process planned for the No. 1 and No. 2 reactor buildings to start in fiscal 2023. The top floor of the No. 1 reactor building is covered with debris from a collapsed ceiling and damaged crane. Workers have also confirmed that the lid on top of the containment vessel has shifted, meaning radiation levels inside the building are likely even higher than in the No. 3 reactor building. To prevent leaking of radioactive materials, the lid for the containment vessel will first have to be moved back into place. 

While the No. 2 reactor building did not suffer major structural damage, large amounts of radioactive materials are believed to be trapped inside the building, radiation levels are also very high there. The level at the top floor is so high that any worker remaining there for one hour would quickly exceed the annual radiation exposure level. After decontamination, the upper part of the No. 2 reactor building will have to be taken apart to remove the spent fuel. However, this poses the major problem of preventing the spewing of radioactive materials during that process.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/photo/...01720.html - Diagram
Fukushima 311 Watchdog

Could be one the reasons why they disconnected the Futuban hwy6 webcams from view.

Thanks for adding that in Califnative. We won't be able to see much on the tepcams. R3 spent fuel containers being moved is all out of view under the steel roof and behind the number 3 vent tower. The exhaust stack removal work has 160 cams watching and all we get is the two tepcams. That crane drop on the 12th was very different from the crane movements I've watched on the tepcams. From my notes, there was a similar drop an hour and a half later at 23:23. Maybe it was just a practice run. Those should be big pieces coming down for us not to be able to see something on the tepcams. I wonder where there going to put all the tower pieces they cut down? I remember seeing radiation surveys of hotspots on the tower to dangerous for workers to get near. I started noticing a few more sparks after that drop and on 4-16 I noted an uptick in noticeable spark activity, not worth counting so far.

04-24  Not much new to report.  Here's some pics of daily crane work and a moon transit, one with a spark.

2019 5 1 around 06 am JST
Foggy Fuk. Foggy Fing dawn.
Emperor Akihito’s abdication is effective this morning.  
Surely thought of #Fukushima NPP’s ongoing catastrophe.
Too bad he didn’t speak about that.
This could well be part of his daily conversation with his wife.
Let us all speak out. No more nukes. Keep dreaming. #Fighting
And much love to you all.The best possible May.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM April 2018 Horse 14 19,803 04-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM April 2017 Horse 30 57,623 04-30-2017, 12:40 PM
  WEBCAM April 2016 Horse 27 54,652 04-27-2016, 06:10 AM