• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • Welcome to the discussion on all things nuclear
  • This site is updated daily.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WEBCAM March 2016
Post webcam observations for March 2016 here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki

Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archive  sengoku1904
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Photo 
Dodgy 

March 2nd just after 2 in the morning jst.

Heavy emissions and bright lights over the CSFP.

Hi Chasaha, you caught the start of the moon transit. Saw two bright sparks together at 02:04. Those double lights on cam4, they start out dim in the evening, then brighten. Are they just work lights?
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

better than web cam! Views filmed around the grounds ---
http://youtu.be/F7KRYf7M6Cs

I wonder how long these workers will live?

3-01 Spark report

The yellow highlighted sparks are the distortions.  To save time I scanned these hours at 2x speed instead of my usual 1.5x speed; might have missed a couple, but I was catching some of the faint ones so I don't think I missed too many.  

3-02

Thumbs Up 
(03-04-2016, 07:56 AM)Horse Wrote: [Multi-colored SPARKS.]

The multi-colored sparks are somewhat new to me.  

I am still undecided on exactly what it is we're observing. 

What the visual actually is, is baffling.    Huh
Is it the cam or something 'igniting' in air, so to speak?
I am 100% undecided.   Undecided

Either way, there is 'something' going on that is could be a phenomenon that's never been observed before.  Probably not a good phenomenon would be my guess.

Appreciate the graphs Horse.

(03-05-2016, 08:25 AM)Chasaha Wrote: The multi-colored sparks are somewhat new to me.  

Either way, there is 'something' going on that is could be a phenomenon that's never been observed before.  Probably not a good phenomenon would be my guess.

Appreciate the graphs Horse.

Hi Chasaha, I think it is radiologic activity and I can't explain how the camera is picking up a spark with tested technical references because no one has bothered to research it and publish it, but I can't explain it away as some random camera artifact or weather manifestation.  Before the flowplayer, on the old feeds the sparks were small white dots that lasted just one frame in the recording.  A very few might have some color or last two frames.  With the flowplayer, the normal spark now lasts two frames.  I've started labeling the pics if they are one frame (1f) or three frames (3f).  In the 3-1 sparks there was one instance that had a second with a spark in two frames, an empty frame, and the next frame had a spark lasting the one frame.  Four frames with three sparks, or was it a two frame spark and another one frame spark together.  The flowplayer has also added more color to the sparks; the dim white single frame sparks gave way to brighter, more colorful sparking lasting two frames.  The spark examples posted above are typical of the bicolored or double spark which occur more often when the spark activity increases.  While the appearance of the sparks may have changed a bit, the timing shows the same regularity as before.  I hope the new histograms convey that regular timing to people who can't plod thru a recording for hours. I noticed the regular timing, like a ticking time bomb, with bursts of activity accompanied by higher emissions and periods of few sparks under clear skies.  I did the charts so I could verify the regular timing I was seeing when I count the sparks.  I think the sparks are radiologic indicators of ongoing criticalities occurring in the fuel melts and spent fuel pools.

The sparks were hiding in plain sight since the earliest days of the disaster.  I find them in the recordings other people made of the tepcam feeds.  I find lots of spark activity when TEPCO transferred spent fuel assemblies from r4's sfp to the common spent fuel pool; when the r1 roof came off; and when the crane assembly was removed from the r3 sfp.  Sparks blink by so fast when viewing at normal speed; people seldom noticed them on the old enenews webcam forum.  They always gave me such a tough time over there, I was grateful that a few oldtimers had seen the sparks and wondered about them.  I was elated that Califnative backed me up by posting a few spark grabs.  Computer technology advances have made it easier and more affordable to record video streaming; I'm taking advantage of that to take a closer, more thorough look at the anomalies on the tepcam feeds.  I plan on going thru the previous spark count data and charting histograms on past events; maybe see if a timing pattern sticks out or whether the activity is more/less/or the same.

Appreciate the comments, it seems empty in here with silent lurkers compared to the chatty old enenews webcam forum.  People stopped watching the cams because nothing was blowing up or falling over with only steam/smoke/emissions to talk about; not enough sensationalism.  Maybe we can get the silent lurkers to start commenting and help us figure out just what the little sparks on the tepcams are.

report on cams turned off --
http://youtu.be/vX4SXypS87Q

3-06 pm sparks were flying again in the thick emissions.  I found several distortions while the sparks were flying.  I noticed a spark on cam4 that prompted this count.  When the cam4 spark occurred there were sparks of the same green color on cam1 very close in time.  This was the first time I’ve caught a spark on both cams that were so similar and may add to the evidence that sparks are exploding in the air above the plant and being captured by both cams.  The time on the two cameras don’t seem to be in sync.  Cam1 seems to be consistently ahead of cam4 by up to a minute; watching the crane activity during the day on both camera views side by side the cranes seem to move at the same time even though the time on the cams are about 45 seconds different.  Trying to compare events on both cams is difficult; the different camera angles leave only the area of the one cooling tower in both views and cam4 is tilted to look up at the buildings while cam1 looks even with the roof lines.  The emissions coming from the west side of the buildings and the spark on cam4 leads me to think the recent activity is coming from the common spent fuel pool.  

3-06 pm
2016.03.06_18.00-21.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozSWHKhJjk
about 2:05 in c4 spark (posted above) found at 20:06:47

and here’s another I found scanning the 60x timelapse.

3-07 am
2016.03.07_03.00-06.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggl_XM__a4
about 2:09 in, c4 spark (posted below) found at 05:11:33

Rainbow 
(03-05-2016, 11:59 PM)Horse Wrote: I think the sparks are radiologic indicators of ongoing criticalities occurring in the fuel melts and spent fuel pools.

Definitely indicators.    IMO - I have no doubt.   Exclamation

When I look at the grabs from 2016-03-06 20:05:48 and 20:06:20  the lower green spark seems somewhat obscured by the emissions which could mean its on the other side of the emissions.   Compared to the  'clearer' green spark that's high above and out of the emission zone.  Just a thought.   Maybe a zoom in on the lower green spark to see how obscured it may be?

I have a new source for area cams that are helpful for looking at weather. Sometimes on the live cam you don't know if it is white steam coming up into cool air or just low fog.
http://japanlivecams.blogspot.com/

The page links to 14 Sendai cams and the major volcano cams. And it loads fast.
I added it to my cam list on FUKED
http://www.rockythedog.net/F/fuked.html

Sakurajima volcano has been acting up.

(03-05-2016, 08:25 AM)Chasaha Wrote:
(03-04-2016, 07:56 AM)Horse Wrote: [Multi-colored SPARKS.]

The multi-colored sparks are somewhat new to me.  

Idea   One of the best ways to catch up to sparks, arcs, weird lights is watch Arto Lauri explain it. He is Finnish so his work is subtitled. He is a nuke worker and he re-creates some effects in the kitchen with an explanation.

http://youtu.be/21iFi7fo0hU

http://fukushimahounds.freeforums.net/th...-sacrifice

all of this vids -
http://fukushimahounds.freeforums.net/bo...-video-set

[He was very harassed for doing these videos, they closed his bank account etc. - Finland has many rad releases from nuke plants that he talks about...]

Photo 
Bright Orange Glow.    2016-03-16 2:25 jst
R3 looks lit up a bit brighter than usual.

yeah, Majia tagged it as possible incineration... hard to say without watching the video.
Pia
Jitsi chat: enfo.pia@gmail.com

Checked last night and recorded some tbs. Looks like a crane segment brightly reflecting light in front of the remote crane. Add haze and it looks like flame. Sparking has dropped into the 10 per hour range over the last few nights.

White Heat
2016.03.20_06.00-09.00.Unit1side

http://youtu.be/ztJP5gIOJQc

definitely some color changes on sidewall @ 1:00 into the video. curious how it comes and goes, "in waves." Possibility there's reflection from something else off camera? Windows on another building reflecting changing skylight?
Pia
Jitsi chat: enfo.pia@gmail.com

3-21  Saw that extra fog seaside behind r4 again tonight, wonder if that's the new incinerator. Saw some sparks on cam1, but not many. Cam 4 shows a small light blinking by day and two bright lights to either side on all night. Sometimes, in the lulls of activity, I think it might be over but the spark activity and the fogging increase and I know it was just the calm before the next storm.  The fog showing up behind r4 tonight had a blinking light looking like it was coming out of the r4 building.  Thought it was pretty quiet, then I saw a spark on cam4.  I don't catch them very often.  Looked on cam1 and found a spark very close in time followed by 10 sparks in 25 minutes, a nice cluster.  

The emissions coincide with sparks I found on c4 last night.  Might have to do some counting.  Must be burning radioactive trash at the south end.  Could be emissions venting out the seaside of r4, but they emptied it clean as a whistle some time ago, they said.  If it was from r4, I would expect it to come out of the r4 extension as well, but maybe not.  The new emissions don't look like csfp emissions.  Here's another c4 spark I found last night.  Pretty blue spark.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM March 2017 Horse 33 11,432 04-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM December 2016 Horse 55 20,218 01-01-2017, 09:31 AM
  WEBCAM November 2016 Horse 73 35,895 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
  WEBCAM October 2016 Horse 52 27,282 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM
  WEBCAM September 2016 Horse 62 26,941 10-02-2016, 01:00 AM