• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WEBCAM January 2016
Post webcam observations for January 2016 here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki

Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archive  sengoku1904
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

1-1 Moon transit started at 5:35 on cam1, gone by 05:50. Nice spark at 05:51; 05:58. Birds fly by at 06:15, deep blue sky with a bright reddish orange haze low on the horizon. 06:18 the lights were turned off leaving the black buildings in sharp contrast to the colors of dawn. 17:04 first spark.

The ionizing radiation spews out of the Daiichi disaster site. Ionizing radiation spews out of the sun.

Quote:NOAA just extended the G3 (Strong) solar storm watch through New Year's Eve, as the energy hitting Earth is expected to hit later than expected, and continue in intensity. January 1st, New Year's Day, will now see a minor G1 storm as the system last longer than first expected.
http://www.sott.net/article/309536-Massi...-US-states

Who could have foreseen Nature’s fury or Man’s folly?

More cosmic energy to dissipate to ground.

Happy New Year
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Happy New Year to you too Horse and everyone on CRL. Been seeing unusual cloud formations but it's just my imagination getting the best of me again Wink

Now where have I seen these colors before?

January 2016 SPACE – 2016 began with an explosion–not only of fireworks, but also auroras. On Jan. 1st, a G2-class geomagnetic storm sparked bright lights around the poles as revelers around the world were ringing in the New Year. In Glenfarg, Scotland, fireworks crackled against a backdrop of green: “Our neighbours let off some fireworks for the New Year,” says photographer Stuart Walker. “They were modest compared to the organized display in Edinburgh, but looked great alongside the ongoing aurora.”

The storm was the result of a CME strike on New Year’s Eve (Dec. 31 @ 00:30 UT). At first the CME’s impact had little effect. Indeed, we initially ruled it a “dud.” But as Earth moved deeper into the CME’s wake, solar wind conditions shifted to favor geomagnetic activity. The very first sighting of auroras in 2016 may have come from Taichi Nakamura, across the International Date Line in Dunedin, New Zealand:

“It was a beautiful treat to see the auroras kick off the New Year,” says Nakamura. “The display began after midnight and kept glowing with waves and beams until morning twilight painted light over the aurora. It is summer now in New Zealand and my four year old son was delighted to come with me as it is warm even at night.” Those were the first auroras of 2016. Ready for seconds? NOAA forecasters estimate a 75% chance of more polar geomagnetic storms on Jan. 1st, subsiding to 45% on Jan. 2nd as Earth moves through the wake of the CME. –Space Weather

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress....year-ends/

Nuclear colors from Fukushima in the atmosphere world wide

Lightbulb 
Idea

For several years I tried to keep track of the last visual sighting of a human at Fuku.

I know there were HUMANS SIGHTED during the year 2015, but I'm not sure how many there were overall or when.  I am pretty sure it was only a handful of times, if that.  I think maybe sickputer noted the last one seen. (?)
(I tried searching the ene archives, but they are pretty messed up.)

Arrow   So... if anybody sees a human, please note the time and what they're wearing.  Light suit or a dark one.

We watched many people working on R4's fuel pool the first couple of years, almost every day in some very horrible conditions.   Sad 

What year will the world wake up to this debacle so maybe we can actually do something about it?

1-5 Work activity started up again this morning, the remote crane over r1 was busy.  The two week slowdown was an opportunity to see what’s happening without the usual wok activity; the sparking continued, peaking and falling on cam1 with a couple outbursts on cam4.  This evening I noticed on cam4 some venting curling over the r4 extension for a few minutes.  It was a brief release and didn’t lead to any web effects; there was no rain/humidty in either cam as an excuse for the steam curling over the r4 extension except that work had started up again.  To me, this is one indicator that work continues in r4.  

The great debate about r4’s spent fuel pool and determining the source terms of the disaster are confounded by TEPCO’s outright lies.  

Majia has a good summary,
http://majiasblog.blogspot.com.es/2015/1...a.html?m=1

My view is that sfp4 may have burned and damaged some assemblies.  As the r4 spent fuel assemblies were transferred to the common pool, steam would rise from the csfp area.  The number of times we witnessed steam events didn’t match very closely to the number of assemblies TEPCO claims were transferred.  TEPCO may have lightened the load in r4’s sfp but my guess is that a good bit of the fuel remains in the pool and work continues to try to keep it cool and remove what they can.    

(01-05-2016, 12:21 PM)Horse Wrote: 1-5 Work activity started up again this morning, the remote crane over r1 was busy...This evening I noticed on cam4 some venting curling over the r4 extension for a few minutes.

that was amazing to watch. at first I did not believe that that rippling/shifting blob hanging off that extension was what you referred to, but when it dissipated (begin dissipation @ 2:05 in) it was very apparent it had been what I think was a significant release.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Hi Pia, thanks. I've watched it a few times, when it goes on the steam can fill the air and reach cam4's location to cause webs. This was a small one and it wasn't raining or fogging to blur the view and confuse the origin. Majia and Chasaha have mentioned it before and this was just such a clear example. One more event we can easily track to monitor activity in r4.

yes, it was a "clear example" - lots of significant events occurring, me thinks...
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(01-05-2016, 12:55 PM)piajensen Wrote: that was amazing to watch. at first I did not believe that that rippling/shifting blob hanging off that extension was what you referred to, but when it dissipated (begin dissipation @ 2:05 in) it was very apparent it had been what I think was a significant release.

@Pia, it was a lucky catch finding the little two minute puff to show people what ‘steam curling over the r4 extension’ looks like.  When it’s bigger and reflecting more light and mixed in with rain and webs it could be easily mistaken for water on the lens.  Teased out of the noise, some proof, the r4 extension steam venting was creating a lot of local weather.  Gathering and examining evidence has been easier here at Café Rad Lab and I want to thank you and Lucas for hosting this webcam forum.

@Cali, Strange the way the colors match so closely in the two very different snapshots, the neon colors of ionizing radiation.  The clouds didn’t seem unusual except for the coloration the local haze gave the sky.  The haze was thick for days; I was thinking the cameras were out of focus.  Your pics add some color to the record, I think you have a bit of artist in you, thanks for posting.  

@Chasaha, yes, there were a couple of sightings of workers last year.  Summer, I saw a couple workers dressed in white going back and forth at the bottom of the csfp girder framework on the left in the cam4 view.  Saw a few workers in white on the roof of the building with the big gray pipe in the foreground on the right in the cam4 view.  I don’t think the smaller cranes are remote controlled but I hope they have some shielding for those crane operators.  Good idea to track sightings of humans, you should start a topic, worker sightings.  We could add past sightings and any new ones and have a record in one place to reference.    

1-9  00:00 to 00:50 Counted 16 sparks and one distortion in 50 minutes.  The last two nights I’ve noticed lots of fancy sparks, multiple dots forming a tail or a streak.  Noticed this morning TEPCO has the radiation detectors hanging from the remote cranes over the usual hotspots, checking on a Saturday.  

1-12 pm adding spark frequency chart.  Used this evening's spark count data to play with the histograms.  

20:00 - 20:59  22 sparks, 20:13:33 distortion
21:00 - 21:59  15 sparks

White smoke/steam rising up in the center of the JNN cam now.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbs-live-camera

Camera is shaking from wind or waves. The smoke comes from behind those big white water tanks.
I thought it was a water drop on the lens at first.

Today the JNN cam shows black ... it must be down. I have no live cam working that I can see.
A couple of very large quakes recently in north Japan so I thought I would look.

http://miningawareness.wordpress.com/201...r-nuclear/

(01-14-2016, 03:38 PM)missFrill Wrote: Today the JNN cam shows black ... it must be down. I have no live cam working that I can see.
A couple of very large quakes recently in north Japan so I thought I would look.

This must be why . . .
(1 min. in --- )

http://youtu.be/f83GR8nClF0

(01-14-2016, 04:57 PM)missFrill Wrote:
(01-14-2016, 03:38 PM)missFrill Wrote: Today the JNN cam shows black ... it must be down. I have no live cam working that I can see.

This must be why . . .
(1 min. in --- )

http://youtu.be/f83GR8nClF0

2016.01.14_21.00-00.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uN3_J1G_aE

When the fogging comes from the left on cam4, I suspect the csfp overheating/venting.  Radioactive steam builds up and abates; fun little webs dancing on the lens.  The venting may go on all the time but we usually can't see it depending on air temperature and humidity levels.  Watching during the day about 15:00 there were two 'drops' looking like smudges on the lens of cam4; one around the csfp, the other over the r4 extension.  It didn't look like it was raining and why do just the two drops show up in the same places as other emissions have?  How much of the weather is generated locally?  I have good recordings of the tepcams but didn't check the other cams.  I wasn't seeing sparking on the recordings when I skipped thru, but I haven't done a count.  I think earthquakes can shake up fuel melts and cause out-gassing that steams the scene.  I think solar CME's hitting Earth might cause more extreme weather events and be triggers for earthquake activity as cosmic charge seeks a path to ground.  I'm all for tracking these events to build more than just circumstantial evidence for a connection.  Steaming and webs following earthquake activity was noted on the old webcam forum.  Two weeks into the new year and we've had a solar flare, two earthquakes, lots of fancy sparking, and now steaming and webs. The grey overcast sky cleared quickly in the morning showing no clouds in the sky and a thick haze close to the ground. The remote cranes were very busy over r1 and r3 until about 13:30.

Observed shaking cam TEPCO Unit Side 4 at  Sat 8:54 jst. About 20 seconds worth.

It looked liked waves of movement as opposed to heavy winds.

Thumbs Up 
(01-15-2016, 06:15 AM)Horse Wrote: 2016.01.14_21.00-00.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uN3_J1G_aE

Good footage. (60x)    Some heavy spider lightning stuff towards the end too.  IMO - This is an example of where there may be a mixture of unique phenomenon(s) going on.   Multicolored fog is highly visible too.   

Re: screenshot: 2016-01-14 14:57:16
The translucent colorful FALLOUT 'goo' on the lens is eerie, to say the least.  What exactly is in that 'mix' and how long will it be floating around the planet should be on everybody's mind?   Wink

(01-18-2016, 12:31 PM)Chasaha Wrote: Re: screenshot:  2016-01-14  14:57:16
The translucent colorful FALLOUT 'goo' on the lens is eerie, to say the least.  What exactly is in that 'mix' and how long will it be floating around the planet should be on everybody's mind?   Wink

Chasaha, it could be fallout goo on the lens, but I thought it might be steam emissions from the csfp and r3 pit.  If tepco did a steam venting just before 3:00 pm, a bright afternoon sun would render a light grey steam release practically invisible.  I think the venting just shows clearly in the grey overcast day.  At the tail end of this time-lapse.  

2016.01.14_12.00-15.00.Unit4side  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx4185LXwwY

And at the beginning of this one.  

2016.01.14_15.00-18.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgk51OFh2OU

I can make arguments for goo on the lens or steam emissions, just not sure which one in this instance.

Photo 
Observed what appears to be a very large boat.  

High winds causing camera jarring made it difficult to get a clear screenshot.
I wonder if they're fishing?     Maybe they didn't get the memo about the Nuclear Meltdowns?

Right click screenshot for full view with time stamp. 2016-01-20 2:36 jst

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-19-2016, 02:04 PM)Chasaha Wrote: Observed what appears to be a very large boat.  

High winds causing camera jarring made it difficult to get a clear screenshot.
I wonder if they're fishing?     Maybe they didn't get the memo about the Nuclear Meltdowns?

Right click screenshot for full view with time stamp.  2016-01-20 2:36 jst

In the past, sightings of the boat usually coincide with subsequent reports of high radiation, high visible emissions, etc. However, the last two days the plant has looked a bit calmer than last week. Last week I saw what looked like some sort of injections into unit 1. I thought it was nitrogen but I'm really just speculating.

Quote:On 1/13/2016, a dust monitoring post issued a warning of high radiation level, according to Tepco.
The alarm went off at 0:39. The monitoring post situated near the Southern border of Fukushima plant.
http://fukushima-diary.com/2016/01/radia...ima-plant/

1-9  00:00 to 00:50 Counted 16 sparks and one distortion in 50 minutes.  The last two nights I’ve noticed lots of fancy sparks, multiple dots forming a tail or a streak.

1-12 pm spark counts
19:58:59 to 20:58:28  one hour  24 sparks and 1 distortion
21:11:43 to 21:58:16  one hour  15 sparks
22:02:06 to 22:30:17  half hour  7 sparks

1-15 pm spark counts
20:13:12 to 20:50:24  one hour  17 sparks
21:07:50 to 22:01:46  one hour  27 sparks

(01-20-2016, 11:09 AM)Dandylion Wrote: In the past, sightings of the boat usually coincide with subsequent reports of high radiation, high visible emissions, etc. However, the last two days the plant has looked a bit calmer than last week. Last week I saw what looked like some sort of injections into unit 1. I thought it was nitrogen but I'm really just speculating.

Hi Dandylion, less sparking this week, like the spark generator is idling.  Saw the vacuum cleaner going into r1 and two other rigs, purpose unknown.   The cranes were busy over r3 with multiple rigs.  The boat might be testing the water in the harbor to check if the leakage is dilute enough.  Tepco’s dust monitoring posts aren’t going to tell us what’s spewing into the air above the plant.  So much they don't want us to know.  

Wonder if this planetary alignment will trigger another big earthquake?

Star 
Huge object being lowered into Unit 1. Could clearly be seen on the Unit 1 Cam and the TBS cam.

2016-01-23 08:10 - 08:15 jst

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM January 2018 Horse 16 4,207 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM January 2017 Horse 8 6,518 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM
  WEBCAM December 2016 Horse 55 33,185 01-01-2017, 09:31 AM
  WEBCAM November 2016 Horse 73 55,955 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
  WEBCAM October 2016 Horse 52 41,399 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM