• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BNC SAM 935 - Portable Gamma Spectrometer

I love the BNC SAM 935, which is a popular portable gamma spectroscopy system utilized by the Department of Energy, Environmental Protection Agency, National Laboratories, and the nuclear industry.  It is one of the fastest and most reliable portable Sodium Iodide (NaI) gamma spectroscopy systems available.

Given enough activity, the SAM 935 can detect and identify multiple gamma-emitting radionuclides within 1 second and also gives you the full dose rate and dose rate of each identified isotope.

A fully charged battery should give you 8 hours of operation.

There are multiple types of the BNC SAM 935 available, some have internal NaI and Neutron detectors, or external 1.5”, 2”, and 3” NaI detectors.  I have the external 2” detector, pictured.

The unit will also plug into a computer and with the software can download and store all spectra generated.

You have full control over the isotope library and can add/edit any entry.
"All models are flawed, some are useful."
George E. P. Box

that looks like a sweet rad tool. Know the price?
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(12-21-2015, 07:33 AM)piajensen Wrote: that looks like a sweet rad tool. Know the price?

Depends on when/where you purchase. Typically between $1,000-$5,000 for a used unit.
George E. P. Box

not bad... hmmm. seems it would be a good tool for most municipalities in zones around nuke plants.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(12-21-2015, 11:26 AM)piajensen Wrote: not bad... hmmm. seems it would be a good tool for most municipalities in zones around nuke plants.

Either one of these or one of the newer models
George E. P. Box

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bubble Detectors - Neutron / Gamma LWH 4 6,052 10-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Last Post: piajensen