• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of Necessity - Bailout
Bailout - Need or Greed?

[ In 2017 Dominion ( the owners of Millstone in Connecticut ) tried to plead poor and get the state to provide financial support. In addition to rate payers balking at the idea was a consortium of other energy providers that viewed the bailout as an unfair advantage for such a large corporation. They hired an independent analyst group to study Millstones financials since Dominion refused to open the Millstone books. ]

[ Eventually the handout to Dominion was defeated. ]

[ This is a site they ran with a nice chronology of events. ]

http://www.stopthemillstonepayout.com/news-clips/

[ This is the report they received. ]
[ It shows that Millstone was NOT in need of any financial assistance and is the most profitable NPS in the northeast. ]

April 2017
Financial Assessment Millstone Nuclear Power Plant [ 62 pgs ]
http://clients.searchintegrations.com/ba..._FINAL.pdf

Based on the financial analysis described in this report, Millstone has been very profitable, including the past five years when natural gas and energy prices have been at their lowest levels.  Under a number of reasonable energy price outcomes for the next five years, Millstone is projected to continue to be profitable, generating positive cash flow under each scenario, including the unlikely scenario in which energy prices continue at 2016 “extraordinarily low” levels for the next five years.  

[ What's really interesting is this study by MIT. ]

Early Nuclear Retirements in Deregulated U.S. Markets: Causes, Implications and Policy Options
http://ceepr.mit.edu/files/papers/2017-009.pdf [ 36 pgs ]
by Geoffrey Haratyk March 2017

[ This is an analysis for the justification of subsidizing nuclear power stations. ]
[ I'm using it simply for the chart on Pg 8 showing the profit/loss per Mw/h for each unit/site. ]
[ The chart was to big to get a pic in one page so it's in two shots. ]
[ If you can't read the charts, right click on the image and select view image and you'll get a full screen inage. ]
[ I annotated the pics with other info about units having financial problems or closing. ]

[ In this screen shot we see the ranking of units that are profitable. ]

[ Notice that ALL the units in NY state were profitable yet the owners were able to con the state into a bailout. ]

[ In this shot we see those that are not profitable. ]

[ Notice the imbalance between the number of profitable units seeking bailouts/closing vs the unprofitable. ]

[ Now ain't that special, what a bunch of scam artists. ]

[ Given the profitability of some of the units makes one wonder why they are always breaking down. ]
[ The answer is because the owners take the profits and don't repair the units. ]

[ Since I first found and annotated the profit/loss chart Davis Besse, Perry and the Beaver Valley units have been added to the potential closing lists. I say potential because the threat of closure is used to scare the state governments into a bailout. The nuclear goons will also try to convince the general public that without those nuclear stations the power will go out. ]

Shows quite clearly that nuclear can't hack the energy market and that taxpayers and consumers have been duped for decades so nuclear management and contractors can be paid well. What a scam.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cuomo Nuke Bailout piajensen 0 894 10-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Last Post: piajensen