• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings
Hello
Unlikely I'll post much until I learn my way around.
I am surprised - and thankful - I got this far as quickly as I did.
Thanks to the people running this place.
Here goes...

(12-14-2017, 04:58 PM)me-san Wrote: Hello
Unlikely I'll post much until I learn my way around.
I am surprised - and thankful - I got this far as quickly as I did.
Thanks to the people running this place.
Here goes...

Hi me-san!   
Perhaps you could mention what your interests are.

me-san - be sure to read posts in New Users and search for topics of interest as well as browse the different categories. if you need guidance, just ask.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Hello, made an account here long ago but never used it.

Couldn't remember the orig id/pwd so I just created a new account.

I plan on focusing mainly on tracking/documenting activities at US commercial power stations.

I will try to keep my anti nuke bias/disdain/contempt under check but may occasionally fail. I apologize in advance.

(03-03-2018, 09:21 PM)Staup Wrote: Hello, made an account here long ago but never used it.

Couldn't remember the orig id/pwd so I just created a new account.

I plan on focusing mainly on tracking/documenting activities at US commercial power stations.

I will try to keep my anti nuke bias/disdain/contempt under check but may occasionally fail. I apologize in advance.
Welcome Staup.  We could use more documentation of US NPP's.  One thing I've thought interesting is how much radiation the various sites might be releasing to the local environment thru normal operations.  Was reading an article on a pro-nuke site about Fort Saint Vrain.  The engineer stated that when it was running it was cleaner than any other US NPP's.  Implication was some are worse than others. I'm sure you'll find plenty to criticize with our cost cutting commercial power plants.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Kakpoes deleted their own posts. Because there was an inherent sense of antagonism in their posts, I decided to purge Kakpoes. Pretty sure that one was only going to be trouble.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(03-09-2018, 11:54 AM)piajensen Wrote: Kakpoes deleted their own posts. Because there was an inherent sense of antagonism in their posts, I decided to purge Kakpoes. Pretty sure that one was only going to be trouble.

I have a copy of his new user posts for posterity. What he deleted from the Flu thread was just vaccine conspiracy links. Maybe he wasn't too proud of his contributions. With ENENews down we'll probably see others test the waters. There were some good posters left over there but they were getting drowned out by the noise. Glad we have good noise filters here.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Yes, "good noise filters" - helps to have the core group on the same page. I do hope more folks come over from ENE. There were some mighty fine researchers and commenters there.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(03-09-2018, 02:58 PM)piajensen Wrote: Yes, "good noise filters" - helps to have the core group on the same page. I do hope more folks come over from ENE. There were some mighty fine researchers and commenters there.

ENEnews....something interesting about enenews....a lively chat.  I was thoroughly fed up with the trolls and riff raff, yet I was still inclined to post there...reserving my more direct radiation related stuff for CafeRadLab.   Im personally glad ENEnews is down because for that very reason of the chat interaction, I wasted a serious amount of time there.   

Still, there is perhaps something to take from it.   Why does CafeRadLab with its inherently superior structure and lack of trolling have fewer readers than ENE had?  A lively discussion may need the spice of differing views.  

Where to draw the line?   I'll make an example;  I personally think that the world trade center collapses were so obviously engineered that no student should graduate who doesnt see this.   Insofar as the collusion of government and the military industrial complex is tied to nuclear, busting the dark corruption involved in the WTC demolition would help bring down the nuclear cartel and give our agencies and sciences the good shaking up they need.    However this view is still considered conspiracy by the mainstream.   I draw the line which excludes much conspiracy, like the flat earth, CERN insanity, and even poor exposition of nuclear fallout quantity and danger.   But I would keep posters who believe Fukushima did no harm if they were intelligent/professional.  Say a Buesseler or Cullen.  We should be able to debate them

WTC dust
https://morganreynolds.files.wordpress.c...ubbler.jpg

Enenews also had the big headlines.  A bold headline page would perk peoples interest in CafeRadLab

I appreciate the idea that having folks like Cullen or Buesseler participate at CRL, but I think it's highly unlikely that they would. As for the differences in readership, that's difficult to quantify since many of CRL's readers are not registered and there is no way to gauge the impact of their attention here. They could be lawyers, health professionals, agency staff or directors, anti-nuclear activists... what they take away from posts here could actually have greater ramifications than the multitudes of readers at ENE, many of whom could be signing in under multiple names.

There's really no comparison, except that CRL is better managed.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(03-09-2018, 05:57 PM)piajensen Wrote: I appreciate the idea that having folks like Cullen or Buesseler participate at CRL, but I think it's highly unlikely that they would. As for the differences in readership, that's difficult to quantify since many of CRL's readers are not registered and there is no way to gauge the impact of their attention here. They could be lawyers, health professionals, agency staff or directors, anti-nuclear activists... what they take away from posts here could actually have greater ramifications than the multitudes of readers at ENE, many of whom could be signing in under multiple names.

There's really no comparison, except that CRL is better managed.

Pia...I agree that CafeRadLab may be more effective per view; may appeal more to professional types.  In that regard, I think ENEnews was often a detriment to progress. Trolls and fools made it so.   The popularity issue stands.  ENEnews had a surprisingly high ranking.   Visuals help, and a headline.  Personally Im not so concerned at readership numbers, I would rather interface with fewer but the more influential.

I was very happy that Prof. Mousseau took the time to post here.  Yet, it was only a kind explanation of his paper.  What can be done to attract and hold professionals to CafeRadLab?  What can be done to get the word out to a larger readership?   A strong core would attract others. Perhaps asking people like Busby to contribute...indeed even Buesseler... might do something.  

For my part, I need to expand on the subjects I started.  Im not so happy they become tedious to read. Its humbling that 3,048 people have read the thread on Pacific Genocide, and it is barely fleshed out...and perhaps too wordy.  I hope all will contribute to that thread with tight statistics and good science.  Lets do justice to the few people like Kevin Blanch who feel the extraordinary magnitude of the situation.

Anyway, thanks Pia for your efforts and the website.

I would also like to see CRL gain more "popularity" and I think it hasn't helped that some people chose to bad mouth CRL in ENENews and who knows where else.

As for my capacity to promote, I do what I can via twitter and that typically results in instant increase in views. I have also networked in email conversations with professionals whose input would be valuable, but, I think they are busy with their own investigations. Lucas has become incredibly busy with his work in Chernobyl and doesn't appear to have much time for promoting CRL, but,I'll send him a note to see if he can pitch in. Not clear about your comment on visuals - posts here have screenshots and graphs.

I see CRL as being in an evolutionary state. It isn't what it was when it first began and it won't be what it is now in the future.

Thanks for hanging in with us.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Pia, considering the interest in the 'Pacific Genocide' thread, perhaps it could be made a separate forum rather than a thread within biological effects, so that it would always be visible for visitors.   

Technically speaking, the same could be true for a forum that unravels the radiation measurement conundrum, the background radiation comparison conundrum, of which the bystander effect is an important facet. Maybe 'scientific error' or preferably something more catchy. 'help for befuddled scientists'?  how about  'How science and the media get it wrong'
Or the ol' standby 'what the nuclear cartel and scientists dont want you to know'

I was always frustrated ENEnews didnt have a running forum specifically for explaining just how bad (or not) the Fukushima situation is, with updated rad releases, and estimates of mortality.  Lost threads, buried in the sands of time was not productive.

(03-09-2018, 06:46 PM)piajensen Wrote: I would also like to see CRL gain more "popularity" and I think it hasn't helped that some people chose to bad mouth CRL in ENENews and who knows where else.

As for my capacity to promote, I do what I can via twitter and that typically results in instant increase in views. 
 Pia....advertising, i.e. getting the word out is the one thing that will bring people.  So thanks for your efforts.  Its no coincidence that the threads I started got so many views; I 'advertised' them on ENEnews.  I wonder if its possible to get a presence on ResearchGate 
https://explore.researchgate.net/display.../Community

I'll look into research gate tomorrow. That's a great idea.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Pia wrote ' Not clear about your comment on visuals'

There is no picture, no graphic, just 'CafeRadLab' in gray.   Whenever you find a photo that has meaning to you, post it, in the header or the left unused field.  Changing the 'CafeRadLab' title to a cherenkov blue might help.  I can do graphics if you want help...that is if you ever felt like changing it
https://i0.wp.com/www.technobyte.org/wp-...iation.jpg

People are grounded in visuals and color.  Also, you could add a subtitle, under CareRadLab  ....anything that nailed down your mission   'uncovering the truth of nuclear fallout'   or  'we live on a radioactive planet, the danger is in the fallout, not the dose'  Openheimers  'Now I have become death, the destroyer of worlds'  or something

(03-09-2018, 04:55 PM)Code Wrote: Why does CafeRadLab with its inherently superior structure and lack of trolling have fewer readers than ENE had?  A lively discussion may need the spice of differing views.

CaféRadLab came into being four years after the Fuku disaster.  We missed the crowd that came for the sensational news.  The crowd found what they wanted at ENENews.  As I recall, back then ENENews admin didn't allow the trolls to overrun the place.  I don't have a problem with differing views, but I don't like foul language or personal attacks.  Our South African friend crossed the line in the new user thread testing our limits, yet wasn't banned.  He toned it down in the Flu thread and we were having a lively discussion.  We listened to his criticism and responded by cleaning up some of the clutter.  He chose to delete his entries, not us.  Purging his user name was just more housecleaning.

(03-09-2018, 04:55 PM)Code Wrote: Where to draw the line?   I'll make an example;  I personally think that the world trade center collapses were so obviously engineered that no student should graduate who doesnt see this.   Insofar as the collusion of government and the military industrial complex is tied to nuclear, busting the dark corruption involved in the WTC demolition would help bring down the nuclear cartel and give our agencies and sciences the good shaking up they need.    However this view is still considered conspiracy by the mainstream.   I draw the line which excludes much conspiracy, like the flat earth, CERN insanity, and even poor exposition of nuclear fallout quantity and danger.   But I would keep posters who believe Fukushima did no harm if they were intelligent/professional.  Say a Buesseler or Cullen.  We should be able to debate them

WTC dust
https://morganreynolds.files.wordpress.c...ubbler.jpg

I recognized the WTC controlled demolition watching it happen, others took a little longer and some will never see it.  I've got a better example for you, Code.  GOM was a good poster that wandered into Flat Earth theorizing.  Even after GOM withdrew, you wouldn't let go of it.  It started getting out of hand with the personal attacks from both parties.  I think Flat Earth is ridiculous but I would welcome GOM for the on-topic contributions made.  Would you?  Remember the plasma webs debate, many people got upset with me because I didn't buy into the sensational plasma webs idea.  I would welcome all the 'water caustics' deniers because they remained civil even if they did think I was wrong.  As to pro-nukers coming in here, sure, it would be fun to debate them; Socref was quite educational until his defensiveness turned him into a bully.  Inform me and I'll keep reading, anything else is just noise.

Horse, thank you for your viewpoint.   I think we are talking about several things here; the challenges of moderating a forum; the format of the forum and the effect it has on readers and posters, and also the challenge of communicating exclusively in the written word.

Fundamentally, I believe everyone deserves to be heard, regardless of intelligence, mannerisms and viewpoint.  Sincerity is key.  I love a sincere person, even if their IQ is 70.   The question of moderation or censorship becomes immediately complicated if you have a goal.  Its regrettable that life is often a triage; to accomplish the mission, sometimes you must throw people overboard, even if your heart is soft. 

You get into specific names now.  In the case of GOM, I think she made many good posts, and often seemed fervent and sincere.  But the picture is more complicated than your sketch of it.  She was a major antagonist from way back. This would be fine in a debate...thats what you do....but it wasnt within (my view of) normalcy. She had a sexual and cryptic alliance with poster Sadie.  Sadie was a flat earther. Both of them vehemently accused me, and also stock of being the lowest of the low.  GOM  accused me of being one and the same as 'Dr Anne'.  GOM hounded me on the potassium issue, as did many others.  The thing is, they were all patently wrong on biology,... science.  Those werent debates; they swamped me five posts to one with balderdash and senseless attack.  After all that I didnt want them to ingratiate themselves with a few good posts.  Sorry, but they went over the top

We had many episodes with trolls on ENEnews and this made me quite suspicious of people who attack with falsehoods.  When GOM and Sadie both came out with the flat and dish shaped earth...I assumed it was proof of their troll status...during a time when the ship of ENEnews was listing and about to sink. I thought they had pulled all stops and were just having a field day.  

Truth is, it would be hard for me to sensor GOM, Sadie, Frank or Anne.  And what about the Mandela effect doper?  But the moderator must make a stand.  We are already labeled 'conspiracy theorists'.   Attackers and fools within our ranks pull us to the bottom.   They should find other forums to express their views.  Unfortunate about S.A. Frank because he was obviously intelligent.   Then again, poster m a x l i  posted some evidence suggesting Frank was an artificial intelligence troll bot.    Such is the brave new world of social communications on the internet.... None of them would survive a science forum for even a day.

Yup, I think you've helped me illustrate my point, thank you. I went thru some uncomfortable attacks on ENENews and I know Code went thru a lot more.  Code puts it into good words; new users take heed.  Moderating a rowdy bunch is an impossible task and way too much work.  I don't want to censor or ban anyone either.  The four or five mentioned would not be my top choices for informative reading.  Banning certainly limits diversity.  If they'd only behave as adults and not like children.  The South African poster put me on the spot and his anger wore me out and I was running out of words.  'Where to draw that line?' you asked and I jumped at the opening.  Hard to find a balance when being pummeled.  New users, if you want your message to be heard please show a little more respect for Pia, she's the admin and she will ban noisy posters.  Show some respect for posters on this site sharing their research.  Show some respect for our audience.  Any 'ol ENENewsers that can do that are still welcome.  

Users who maintain and participate on this platform foster a collegial atmosphere regardless of experience or intimate knowledge of the issues discussed.

Just a quick note about membership policy. We, Lucas and I, had a variety of discussions about what types of personalities could risk losing their membership. There's been, in the past, a ton of outright spammers and a few off kilter members who've been banned. By off kilter I mean that their demeanor towards others was degrading, they posted wherever they wanted - ignoring the organizational structure, and they were antagonistic. A very few members have received guidance about topics that don't meet the goals of this forum.

This forum wasn't meant to be like ENENews and is meant to promote higher level of dialog than occurred at ENENews. It is meant to engage thinkers and people who want to learn the truth about man-made radiation without having to wade through posts by people whose intentions are not in-line with our goals.

So, some members will be banned if they simply can't help themselves and choose to act out as if they are at ENENews. When there are some doubts about whether banning is the right action to take, I confer with Lucas or Horse, and they have always backed up my intuition.

I sent Lucas a note about changing the graphic - the colors are part of a set package offered by MyBB. Their formats are relatively rigid, but, I'll look into the color scheme. I also asked if he had some time to do some more recruiting and promotions as he has in the past.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

I took a deeper look at the theme options for MyBB and there is very little flexibility in the theme we have now. Though, I'll wait to hear from Lucas on design possibilities. Here are some images of MyBB themes to give you an idea of what we are working with here. https://www.google.com/search?q=does+myb...06&bih=723 - keep in mind, we currently pay nothing for the current theme.
Pia
just pm me if needed.