• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China
17th October 2017 - Contaminated Banknotes

Extracts:

The cash triggered an alarm when passing through the radioactivity monitoring system inspection process at Pudong International Airport on October 10. The notes contained a high level of radioactivity. They were being carried in the bag of a male passenger. They were found to contain Americium-241 - a highly toxic radioactive substance, according to the Shanghai Airport Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. Americium-241 has a half-life of 433 years.

Furthermore, it promotes the formation of cancer cells because of its radioactivity. If cash is contaminated by radioactivity, it poses a serious threat because banknotes are circulated quickly, bureau officials said. It is also difficult to track the source of contamination during circulation and users are usually unaware of the risks, the officials added.

Comment:

Americium-241 is mainly an alpha radiation emitter, and is a significant health risk if ingested or inhaled. Americium-241 is the decay daughter of Plutonium-241.

The Americium-241 on banknotes raises lots of questions that need to be answered!

It should be ringing alarm bells!

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/database/in...-60249-CHN
CafeRadLab  Free Guides and Resources For Everyone Here!

Get Prepared For Earth Changes!

The purpose of life is to learn to express your personal energy Creatively and Lovingly!

Quite the find. I've neglected checking RSOE for a long time. That report is a doozey. Burning questions are:

Where did that rad cash come from?
Who contracted the transport?
What are oversight agencies doing? (IAEA, money laundering, etc.).
Where was the rad cash going?
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Yes. lots of unanswered questions that need answering very quickly!

How did this highly toxic radioactive material end up on banknotes?

Were the banknotes intentionally contaminated?

Did payment for black market nuclear material occur in an environment that was highly contaminated?

The purpose of life is to learn to express your personal energy Creatively and Lovingly!

Quote:Meanwhile, the male passenger has had his money confiscated, but he has not been arrested and is considered an innocent party in the matter, officials said. Investigation is still under way, but no further details were revealed.

Lots they aren't saying. Hadn't thought of cash as a contamination vector. Could it be from a smoke detector factory?
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

"The notes contained a high level of radioactivity."

This suggests the Americium-241 is in a dust form!

"a highly toxic radioactive substance."

So how did Americium-241 end up on these banknotes?

"This was the first time that banknotes severely contaminated by radioactivity were found at a Shanghai port, the bureau said."

Important keywords, "banknotes severely contaminated by radioactivity."

You certainly would want to avoid handling these contaminated banknotes!

Everything that a person touched after handling these banknotes smartphones, clothing, ect., would need to be carefully decontaminated.

I could only think of spent fuel or smoke detectors as the source. Lax safety procedures and improper handling led to the contact with banknotes.  No telling how long the banknotes could have been in circulation before being detected at the airport where they had the equipment to detect the alpha emitter.  Decontamination didn't seem to be a priority; they let the suspect go free and cash is hard to backtrack anyway.  The news story reminded me of the uranium workers that contaminated their families with the dust in their clothes.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Of course, pouring a vial of Americium-241 over banknotes might be a new form of economic warfare.

(10-23-2017, 12:25 PM)Horse Wrote: Of course, pouring a vial of Americium-241 over banknotes might be a new form of economic warfare.

Yes, my thoughts also!

Vital1, good to have you contributing here.  Interesting topic, radioactive contamination in banknotes.  Reading about the uranium miners, they mentioned that the uranium dust had also contaminated the town's money supply but, of course, the levels were considered to be of no concern to health or safety according to the regulatory agencies.  The banks would resupply the town's money and destroy the contaminated notes in circulation.  You know, routine uranium mining town cleanup to comply with new regulations.  Americium-241 dust sure ups the ante; far more toxic in smaller amounts.  

(10-23-2017, 12:25 PM)Horse Wrote: Of course, pouring a vial of Americium-241 over banknotes might be a new form of economic warfare.

Bankers might be allowing this story to be released or plant a story like this to further the goals of a cashless society.  Strike fear of cash, advertise safe bank cards, get new customers and more fees.

(10-24-2017, 11:43 AM)Horse Wrote: Vital1, good to have you contributing here.  Interesting topic, radioactive contamination in banknotes.  Reading about the uranium miners, they mentioned that the uranium dust had also contaminated the town's money supply but, of course, the levels were considered to be of no concern to health or safety according to the regulatory agencies.  The banks would resupply the town's money and destroy the contaminated notes in circulation.  You know, routine uranium mining town cleanup to comply with new regulations.  Americium-241 dust sure ups the ante; far more toxic in smaller amounts.  

(10-23-2017, 12:25 PM)Horse Wrote: Bankers might be allowing this story to be released or plant a story like this to further the goals of a cashless society.  Strike fear of cash, advertise safe bank cards, get new customers and more fees.

Horse, thanks for the welcome. The Uranium contaminated cash was also an Interesting story.

I think the radioactive contaminated Chinese banknotes would have been Worldwide news by now if your suggestion had been the goal.

I have not seen any MSM  stories on this detection so far.

(10-24-2017, 08:28 PM)vital1 Wrote: Horse, thanks for the welcome. The Uranium contaminated cash was also an Interesting story.

I think the radioactive contaminated Chinese banknotes would have been Worldwide news by now if your suggestion had been the goal.

I have not seen any MSM  stories on this detection so far.

The story of the uranium miners was something I read long ago in a 3-4 page article in a local newspaper.  It was never really a headliner in the news either.  Industries shifted many jobs to China just to avoid the expense of complying with environmental laws and use cheaper labor.  The criminal element in China probably has a hand in the supply chain as well as in recycling, but they would want to make money off the expensive radioactive commodity and not just throw it away on banknotes.  As a weapon, Americium-241 is too slow acting for assassination and money isn't an effective delivery system.  Some months ago I read an article that Chinese bankers were pushing bank cards with government blessing to reduce the untraceable cash used by black-market and increase bank profits.  The Americium-241 story showed up in a region the Chinese bankers were targeting for increased market share.  Locals that were reluctant to give up cash might know something about the hazardous material that goes into the smoke detectors and other things being made or recycled or polluting the region and get panicky over handling cash.  The main audience for the mainstream news already have their bank cards and wouldn't worry about some far away place detecting some radioactive substance that they're always told is safe anyway.  News outlets have no interest in reporting the facts who, what, when, where, why anymore.  Their job is perception management and control of the flow of information for monied interests.  No need for the story to go mainstream in this case.  

Quote:Investigation is still under way, but no further details were revealed.

I see that and I doubt I'll ever read anything more about it.  Vital1, what kind of economic warfare were you thinking about?

Shanghai Expat Report

18th October 2017 - Radioactive Cancer Causing Cash Seized At Pudong Airport

Extract:

Pudong airport security confiscated 10,000 yuan worth of banknotes containing a high level of radioactivity last week, after it triggered an alarm in the radioactivity monitoring system. The notes contained Americium-241 which is a highly toxic and radioactive material and can cause the formation of cancer cells from its radioactivity.

https://www.shanghaiexpat.com/news/radio...ng-airport

I understand 10,000 yuan is worth around US$1,500.

From Wikipedia,
Quote:it was first offered for sale in 1962, its price, about 1,500 USD per gram of 241Am, remains almost unchanged owing to the very complex separation procedure.[4]

The yuan contaminated is the price of a gram.

(10-26-2017, 08:53 AM)Horse Wrote: From Wikipedia,
Quote:it was first offered for sale in 1962, its price, about 1,500 USD per gram of 241Am, remains almost unchanged owing to the very complex separation procedure.[4]

The yuan contaminated is the price of a gram.

Yes, it is a very expensive material by weight. Gold today is sitting around US$41.00 per gram.

Contaminating these bank notes with Americium-241 is hugely more expensive than sprinkling gold dust on them.

In my opinion the weight of the evidence points to the Americium contamination of these banknotes was done on purpose.

(10-26-2017, 08:23 PM)vital1 Wrote: Yes, it is a very expensive material by weight. Gold today is sitting around US$41.00 per gram.

Contaminating these bank notes with Americium-241 is hugely more expensive than sprinkling gold dust on them.

In my opinion the weight of the evidence points to the Americium contamination of these banknotes was done on purpose.

On purpose, yes agree, many possible culprits.  Much valuable material in a bunch of smoke detectors.

From Wikipedia,
Quote:Americium-241 is the only synthetic isotope to have found its way into the household
The process for making the americium used in the buttons on ionization-type smoke detectors begins with americium dioxide. The AmO2 is thoroughly mixed with gold, shaped into a briquette, and fused by pressure and heat at over 1470°F (800°C). A backing of silver and a front covering of gold (or an alloy of gold or palladium) are applied to the briquette and sealed by hot forging.

I've noticed incidents of illicit trade and outright theft of nuclear material because of its value and importance, but the MSM doesn't usually cover much of that.  Governments and banks have control over media.  Some message was meant to be sent.

(10-26-2017, 10:17 PM)Horse Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 08:23 PM)vital1 Wrote: Yes, it is a very expensive material by weight. Gold today is sitting around US$41.00 per gram.

In my opinion the weight of the evidence points to the Americium contamination of these banknotes was done on purpose.

On purpose, yes agree, many possible culprits.  Much valuable material in a bunch of smoke detectors.

From Wikipedia,
Quote:Americium-241 is the only synthetic isotope to have found its way into the household
The process for making the americium used in the buttons on ionization-type smoke detectors begins with americium dioxide. The AmO2 is thoroughly mixed with gold, shaped into a briquette, and fused by pressure and heat at over 1470°F (800°C). A backing of silver and a front covering of gold (or an alloy of gold or palladium) are applied to the briquette and sealed by hot forging.

I've noticed incidents of illicit trade and outright theft of nuclear material because of its value and importance, but the MSM doesn't usually cover much of that.  Governments and banks have control over media.  Some message was meant to be sent.

(10-30-2017, 03:57 AM)stock Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 10:17 PM)Horse Wrote:

From Wikipedia,

yes, I immediately went to idea of black market plutonium purchases, under less than pristime storage conditions.

"Some message was meant to be sent."

Yes, my thinking also!

They seem to indicate that they have no idea how much of this contaminated cash is in circulation.

A lot of people may eventually develop a serious illness from handling these contaminated bank notes!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corrupt China Nuclear piajensen 0 1,067 10-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Last Post: piajensen