• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEBCAM September 2017
Post webcam observations for September here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki
Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archives
sengoku1904
Fuku1long
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

I've noticed the rain the last few days and nights with big webs in the tepcam views. When spark counts are low the rain storms don't show the webs. When spark counts are high the rain leaves webs on the lens. Why does some rain wash down the lens and other times the rain drops stick to the lens to form the webs?
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

09-04 07:00 An arch segment was added to the movable frame parked on the west side of r3.  Workers walked back and forth across the top of r3.

(09-01-2017, 10:23 AM)Horse Wrote: Why does some rain wash down the lens and other times the rain drops stick to the lens to form the webs?

Could be a matter of barometric pressure and/or wind direction/speed/constancy?
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Horse - I was thinking about static electricity (energized air/particulates) also as I began to read your note above
"An old webcam watcher tried to duplicate the web effect at home" caferadlab.com/thread-2097-post-4271.html#pid4271

An old webcam watcher tried to duplicate the web effect at home. He went to great lengths trying to get a drop to sit and jiggle on a vertical surface. The one thing he couldn't duplicate was the radiation fallout in the raindrop. 'Water caustics' or webs occur when water sticks to the camera lens usually from dust or pollen in the drop. My guess was that radioactive raindrops have an electro-static charge that mimics dust and pollen sticking to the lens.. In the early years every rain produced long lasting fantastic webs. I noticed the last year or so rains no longer stuck to the lens to produce webs but simply ran down the lens like normal rain should do. Last month the spark bursts climbed back up to rates of the early years and the webs returned. My theory that the radiation caused sticky raindrops has held up over time as the radiation levels as measured by the spark rates now varies from the constant high rates of the early years. Higher spark rates showed more webs, lower spark rates didn't produce the fantastic webs. The webs seem to be an indication of the amount of radiation in the fallout the rains wash from the air. The spark rates gave me a measure of the radiation that correlates to the appearance of webs.

09-06 Another arch added to form a ring segment.

(09-04-2017, 11:23 AM)Horse Wrote: Horse - I was thinking about static electricity (energized air/particulates) also as I began to read your note above
"An old webcam watcher tried to duplicate the web effect at home" caferadlab.com/thread-2097-post-4271.html#pid4271

An old webcam watcher tried to duplicate the web effect at home.  He went to great lengths trying to get a drop to sit and jiggle on a vertical surface.  The one thing he couldn't duplicate was the radiation fallout in the raindrop.  'Water caustics' or webs occur when water sticks to the camera lens usually from dust or pollen in the drop.  My guess was that radioactive raindrops have an electro-static charge that mimics dust and pollen sticking to the lens..  In the early years every rain produced long lasting fantastic webs.  I noticed the last year or so rains no longer stuck to the lens to produce webs but simply ran down the lens like normal rain should do.  Last month the spark bursts climbed back up to rates of the early years and the webs returned.  My theory that the radiation caused sticky raindrops has held up over time as the radiation levels as measured by the spark rates now varies from the constant high rates of the early years.  Higher spark rates showed more webs, lower spark rates didn't produce the fantastic webs.  The webs seem to be an indication of the amount of radiation in the fallout the rains wash from the air.  The spark rates gave me a measure of the radiation that correlates to the appearance of webs.  

He was trying to prove webs were not water caustics but I found it important that something was making the water droplets sticky enough to stay on a lens for so long.  Another thing I've noticed was that the first rainout had the biggest webs, the second night of rainout had lesser webs, ...

Radioactive droplets. Charged air/particulates.  Radioactive plumes don't dissipate easily. Even years later the rainouts at Dai-ichi still produce webs sometimes, not like the early days when there was so much emissions that the rains couldn't wash the lens clean of webs.  

Pia, I almost missed your edit to my post.  Added in missing text.  Had problems lately with wildfire smoke choking me up.  Been on hurricane watch.  Harvey flooded Texas. Two nuke plants and dozens of chemical plants and superfund sites in the projected path of Irma.  Another right on its heels.  Man-made pollutants make every natural disaster worse.  Mexico hit with an 8.0 EQ when strong CME bursts are hitting earth.  

9-08 after sunset saw 2 sparks about five minutes apart.  So I started noting them.
1920 B
Making this note might have missed one.
Notice a rate of every five minutes or so.  Gonna miss some trying to get this much posted.  

ack! I didn't mean to edit yr post. been down with cold and knee/leg pain lately. nothing going smoothly for me at this time.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

ack! sums up the first week of September.  The smoky haze from the wildfires has wrecked my sinuses, a week of ozone alert days, unhealthy air.  Local news talked of pink sunsets, made me concerned about cesium being released.   Forest fire smoke used to be an orange haze, but pink is the new normal.  September is our best month temperature-wise, not too hot, not too cold, but I can't go outside without choking.  Record breaking hurricanes hitting the coast and more toxins will wash out to sea.   I blame the added krypton in the air making the storms worse, increased conductivity of the air and not just the global warming hype. Electric Universe model explains the weather changes better than CO2 global warming.  Nothing going smoothly for any of us.

I recall forest fire colors well.. from California through Oregon, Washington & Alaska and you are correct - pink is not the norm.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

09-11 06:30 watched the second completed ring segment move into place on the east side of R3.  It takes about a half hour to move the ring from one side to the other.  It really is an engineering marvel to watch considering how massive the structures are.  Here's both tepcam views side by side.  

09-15 06:40 The steel framework on R3 moved back out of the rings but it stops halfway across this time. Many workers out and about on R3; the last pic caught sunlight glinting on the white tyvek suit of a worker. 

09-15 09:40 a remote crane moves a tool to R3 and picks up a large piece and moves it off of R3.

09-16 am the recordings were both frozen at 8am and all the cranes were up.  After I recycled the browser windows it was already noon and I noticed the big remote cranes were all down.  Tepco only drops the cranes when they expect high winds.  

09-18 rain poured down last night and both tepcams are shaking in the strong winds this morning.

09-19 Yesterday had mostly blue sky, partly cloudy. Today the cranes started back to work. The crane by r1 up at 7:17; the others come up from 9:00 to 10:00 and go fully upright by 11:00.

To you Horse and watchers , thank you for your updates and here's to you: "Dawn on Fuk."
this morning JST
https://www.dropbox.com/s/adxw5ll7sm1qoo...k.png?dl=0

Hello Felibi - can you insert your pics instead of redirecting? Best width size is 700 pixels soit doesn't spill off the page.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Hi Felibi, thanks for the dawn over fuku pic.  I see a lot of pink in the sunsets and sunrises lately.  The pink puts some color in the drab industrial monotony of the site.  The tepco screen grabs can be zoomed up so they look more like what we used to see when they were full screen.  I use MS Paint to resize the pics I grab.  Another method is to open a pic with the Picture Viewer and zoom that to the size I want and use the MS Snipping tool to grab the zoomed image.  

Here's your pic I opened full screen, zoomed 66%, adjusted the position to see the whole pic, and used the snipping tool to grab the zoomed image.

It was easier when Teoco showed us a full screen view but they tried to discourage viewing with the little half size window we get now.  I'll be glad to help you get any picture you grab posted here on CRL.  Thanks much for contributing.

Horse! You're such a darling for doing what Pia asked me to do :-) Indeed, I've been wondering what I could do about
my few recent Tepcam screenshots that were so ridiculously small. The last normal size I've got dates back to November 11 2016.
Your explanation is enlightening. Tepco and the whole Nuclear Village are immune to shame. Evil!
I'm gonna try to follow your advice and do sth about my skills.
Isn't it wonderful that we're able to catch glimpses of beauty even in the midst of horror.
We'll keep watching as long as we can. We are legion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM December 2017 Horse 11 3,430 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Felibi
  WEBCAM November 2017 Horse 33 11,272 11-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM October 2017 Horse 30 10,517 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM
  WEBCAM August 2017 Horse 29 14,755 08-30-2017, 11:06 AM
  WEBCAM July 2017 Horse 32 12,475 07-31-2017, 12:30 AM