• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two headed Turtle: Florida
A rare mutant baby turtle with two heads has been found on a Florida beach by researchers. gearsofbiz.com/baby-turtle-with-two-heads-found-on-a-florida-beach/21516

Pia
just pm me if needed.

Quote:The chances of any single hatchling surviving are extremely low, with anywhere from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 10,000 infant turtles making it adulthood, according to statistics from the US Sea Turtle Conservancy.  Young turtles must survive fishing nets, abnormal weather patterns caused by climate change, and human developments along the Florida coastline on the reptiles’ long migration routes.
The part of human developments not mentioned by the turtle article - radioactive tracers

Radioactive Iodine Detected Near Bermuda
August 23, 2017
http://bernews.com/2017/08/radioactive-i...r-bermuda/
Quote:“One scientific consequence that arose from the testing of nuclear bombs in the atmosphere in the 1950s was that their radioactive fallout provided a powerful global tracer of water circulation and deep-ocean ventilation.

“Other sources of radioactive material for scientists to track water movements have been the nuclear reprocessing plants at Sellafield in the UK and at La Hague in France.

“Contaminants have been legally released from these sites for more than 50 years. One in particular, Iodine-129 [129I], has been very useful for scientists tracing the ocean currents that help pull down greenhouse gases into the waters.
h/t Heart of the Rose

Two heads might not be better than one for turtles.  How they gonna git two heads into one shell?

But it was all legal and is all safe for human development.

Pia, your turtle story was good too. The prehistoric creatures might survive higher radiation levels better than human latecomers will. Radioactive tracers might be useful to trace what happened to human development.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Thanks, Horse. That's the opening of a short story, sc-fi/cli-fi(climate fiction) titled "They didn't know."

From the article you cited: "“This is the first study to show precise and continuous tracking of Atlantic water flowing northward into the Arctic Ocean off Norway, circulating around the arctic basins and returning to the Nordic seas in what we call the ‘Arctic loop’, and then flowing southward down the continental slope of North America to Bermuda at depths below 3000 metres."

Interesting that they don't mention Fukushima with it's fallout pattern via wind carrying rads into the arctic.

Heart of the Rose is funny. "How they gonna git two heads into one shell? "
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(08-25-2017, 02:52 AM)piajensen Wrote: Heart of the Rose is funny. "How they gonna git two heads into one shell? "

Pia, the humor was all mine.  When I read your entry it reminded me of the study Heart had posted.  

Here's Heart:
Quote:Heart of the Rose
August 23, 2017 at 9:35 am · Reply
More tracers ..oh ..hurray.. tracers to study the ocean current.
Levels are supposedly safe ..just enough for tracers!

“129I is particularly well suited for studying global ocean circulation, because unlike gas ventilation tracers that undergo ocean atmosphere exchange in surface waters, 129I levels undergo little modification other than by mixing once 129I is discharged into the ocean.”

Radioactive Iodine Detected Near Bermuda
Aug 23 2017

http://bernews.com/2017/08/radioactive-i...r-bermuda/

And now that their happy little study is over..is the contamination going to cease?

Vacation in Bermuda ..anyone?

I guess the turtle might have vacationed in Bermuda.  Just because humans come up with rationalizations for their actions doesn't make it a good thing.  They dump radioactive waste with no thought to the impact on other creatures.  Worse, they put blinders on when they notice any impact and refuse to mention radiation has any effect other than as a useful tool for mankind.  The turtle nods both heads in agreement and swims away. Humans need to pull their heads out of their own shell.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Well, You do have good humor! Governments are run by men who really don't care to understand how their actions impact others. They just want their stocks to soar, their gold to gain value, and their women sleek and meek. Just being poetic. I don't know what they want, but I do know that they've made a royal effing mess of our commons.
Pia
just pm me if needed.