• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • Welcome to the discussion on all things nuclear
  • This site is updated daily.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEBCAM August 2017
Post webcam observations for August here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki
Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archives
sengoku1904
Fuku1long
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

08-02 am, watched the second arch segment go into place over r3, joined together to form the first cylinder of unit 3's new structure.  Tepco calls it a Fuel Removal Roof Cover but it reminds me of Chernobyl's sarcophagus.  

"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

This will be interesting, thanks for the pics Horse.

They said the 'new' structure is approx. 60 meters long. R2,3,4 are about 50x35m

Looks like it is going on east->west, the short side, easiest way to fit it in? Hmmm.

About the size of the R4 cover. A better/easier design, I think.

Sure would be nice to know what fuel to be taken out, will need this to take it out.

Sorry, tin-hat raging.

(08-02-2017, 12:52 PM)AirSepT Wrote: They said the 'new' structure is approx. 60 meters long. R2,3,4 are about 50x35m
Looks like it is going on east->west, the short side, easiest way to fit it in? Hmmm.
Sure would be nice to know what fuel to be taken out, will need this to take it out.

So the thing will overhang quite a bit.  E-W makes sense for easy access to the main roads.  I keep questioning what fuel could be left and what condition it might be in.  Big boom left a smoldering heap.  Exploring the reactor core hasn't found the tonnage they're looking for yet.  The SFP, structure above falling on it.  The extraction crane they removed a couple years back must have just floated on top of those pristine fuel assemblies.  I see a repeat of the R4 SFP removal show playing at the Tepco theatre.  I predict the playbook will be the same.  Tepco's performance portrayed all the fuel from R4 was recovered in less than a year when those assemblies probably lost coolant in a damaged, leaking pool and a couple were known to have been damaged even before 311.  R4 was successfully removed from public view.  No matter what happens at R3, the cover will keep any problems out of view and Tepco can publish all the slick PR they need to for the Olympics show.  You should toss that old tin-foil hat for one of the new gold-foil hats, less brain damage from hot particles falling on your head.  The muon scans should have shown some fuel in R3 SFP but it looked like structural grey to me.  Tepco wouldn't lie to us, would they?

[Image: rsz_u3_muon_widescan.jpg]The muon presents a 'creative explanation'  op.

I can't wait. Maybe black 'sprinkles' mean something.

Black sprinkles are all around except in the sfp region.  I know, we're only supposed to look at the missing reactor core.  Thanks for chiming in, I thought I was the only one left wearing a funny hat.  When r4 sfp recovery was going on I researched what damaged fuel assemblies looked like.  Zirc fire caused fuel pellets to expand, warping the rods and the assemblies holding the rods of fuel pellets.  Now how could they yank a damaged assembly out without losing a few pieces?  The volatile radionuclides burned up but that still leaves a big chunk of uranium, daughters, and plutonium.  Some assemblies were probably removed but it stretches my gold-foiled hat to think that they all made it out safely.  Then there's that full common pool that still steams up after earthquakes.  So full they had to pack some of r4's assemblies into r6's sfp.  What little dry-casking has been going on?  That shouldn't have been a question, let's ask Tepco. I'm still looking for a simulation that shows the sfp filled with water and fuel.

(08-02-2017, 04:48 PM)Horse Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 12:52 PM)AirSepT Wrote: They said the 'new' structure is approx. 60 meters long. R2,3,4 are about 50x35m

So the thing will overhang quite a bit.  E-W makes sense for easy access to the main roads.  I keep questioning what fuel could be left and what condition it might be in.  Big boom left a smoldering heap.  Exploring the reactor core hasn't found the tonnage they're looking for yet.  The SFP, structure above falling on it.  The extraction crane they removed a couple years back must have just floated on top of those pristine fuel assemblies.  I see a repeat of the R4 SFP removal show playing at the Tepco theatre.  I predict the playbook will be the same.  Tepco's performance portrayed all the fuel from R4 was recovered in less than a year when those assemblies probably lost coolant in a damaged, leaking pool and a couple were known to have been damaged even before 311.  R4 was successfully removed from public view.  No matter what happens at R3, the cover will keep any problems out of view and Tepco can publish all the slick PR they need to for the Olympics show.  You should toss that old tin-foil hat for one of the new gold-foil hats, less brain damage from hot particles falling on your head.  The muon scans should have shown some fuel in R3 SFP but it looked like structural grey to me.  Tepco wouldn't lie to us, would they?

I think the Muon scan of R3 showed just a few flakes of spent fuel in the spent fuel pool.   11 days with no power.....TMI They Melted It!

(08-03-2017, 01:20 PM)stock Wrote: I think the Muon scan of R3 showed just a few flakes of spent fuel in the spent fuel pool.   11 days with no power.....TMI They Melted It!

"The bigger the lie, the easier it is to sell it."  

The liars have it easy, they make up stuff as they go along.  Facts, figures, analysis all come too little, too late to have any impact.  Control of the information and perception management has made it easy to downplay the damage nuclear forces do to people and life.  

There is no smoking gun, just billions of invisible atomic bullets. Look how long Tepco has claimed that three meltdowns never left containment.  It infuriates some of us.  I propose making the island of Japan the world's nuclear waste dump site; where a smile a day keeps the radiation at bay.  

Hey stock, here's a poll suggestion, but I'm having trouble with my options.

Where on Earth would be the best place to store the vast amounts of nuclear waste mankind is generating?

A.  The island of Japan
B.  The Ocean

C.  Not in my neighborhood
D.  None of the above and we’re still stuck with all of the above
   Scatter it everywhere and call it dilution
   Leave it for future generations to figure out

If anyone doesn't think Japan should be the world's new nuclear waste storage site, I've got some Cherenkov radiation sparks I found on the Tepco cameras to show you.  

08-05 am, Sorry to suggest that Japan is nuclear toast.  We all see how hard Japan is trying to ignore the radiation hazards.  Many other sites around the world could qualify as a nuclear waste repository.  Today I watched another technological marvel as Tepco moved a ring of the sarcophagus from one side of R3 to the other.  

(08-02-2017, 05:16 PM)AirSepT Wrote: The muon presents a 'creative explanation'  op.
I can't wait. Maybe black 'sprinkles' mean something.

To me the black sprinkles look like they are above and outside the shaded area the simulation shows as the spent fuel pool filled with water. I see the size of a core blocked out and the sfp holding a few cores should be a somewhat larger darker area in the structural grey of the sfp area. Maybe the muon scan catches the spent fuel assemblies at a bad angle. The muon scan and simulation convinced me there was nothing left in the core area but it wasn't clear where the spent fuel is.

Ok, I'm trying to look at this scan without a 'focus', but more like a gaze, more 'open'.

I agree, no core.

The SFP is much more 'dark...overall' than the Equipment pool area.
I'm just going to say I do not know what it 'should' look like. Jeez, I love being stupid.

What really bugs me is the 'cloud' between the concrete wall and the RPV, left side of course.
It looks like it is 'into the wall' and 'into the RPV', but that's 2d.
In 3d, looking from above(imagination needed) it would be on an arc, maybe a 1/3 circle.
That could give that type of 'shading'.

There is a lot of piping/penetrations all over that area, from the RPV through the PCV/concrete.
Anyone think the piping/side of the RPV could have failed? Huh

Or maybe I should put the crackpipe down?

Better see if I can find a drawing, maybe help relieve my OCD. Confused

Quote:The SFP is much more 'dark...overall' than the Equipment pool area.
I'm just going to say I do not know what it 'should' look like.
The Equipment pool is not marked, but you're locating it on the right and sfp on the left.  I was figuring the sfp would be denser with more structural stuff, two thick cement walls, steel liner, and the water tepco adds in the simulation to compare with the muon scan.  Comparing the sfp area and the concrete wall surrounding the PCV looks similar grey in the muon scan.  In the simulation pics the core did not stand out as much as I thought it would so maybe it wouldn't stand out at all against the sfp structure. I can't tell fuel from structure in the muon scan or the simulation. 

Quote:What really bugs me is the 'cloud' between the concrete wall and the RPV, left side of course.
In 3d, looking from above(imagination needed) it would be on an arc, maybe a 1/3 circle.

There is a lot of piping/penetrations all over that area, from the RPV through the PCV/concrete.

The Building Wall (main steam isolation valve) is certainly the darkest part of the muon scan.  Shows much denser than the sfp area.  

Simulated from structure map of the reactor building

Muon scan

(08-05-2017, 04:09 AM)Horse Wrote:
Quote:The SFP is much more 'dark...overall' than the Equipment pool area.
I'm just going to say I do not know what it 'should' look like.
The Equipment pool is not marked, but you're locating it on the right and sfp on the left.  I was figuring the sfp would be denser with more structural stuff, two thick cement walls, steel liner, and the water tepco adds in the simulation to compare with the muon scan.  Comparing the sfp area and the concrete wall surrounding the PCV looks similar grey in the muon scan.  In the simulation pics the core did not stand out as much as I thought it would so maybe it wouldn't stand out at all against the sfp structure. I can't tell fuel from structure in the muon scan or the simulation. 

Quote:What really bugs me is the 'cloud' between the concrete wall and the RPV, left side of course.

The Building Wall (main steam isolation valve) is certainly the darkest part of the muon scan.  Shows much denser than the sfp area.  

Simulated from structure map of the reactor building

Muon scan

" I can't tell fuel from structure in the muon scan or the simulation. "

Yes. Who can, save the people that do this/have experience with the technology?
Stacking the views brings it a bit clearer overall.

I think within the realm of 'reality' they are the same, or at least close. Enough for me? well ya,,,I guess so.
The 'shading' is represented in the simulation. Both the SFP and the darker drywell/shell/concrete area.

I've looked at 100's of x-rays, hours of video, on piping/vessels for material/welding defects.
Some things you just have to do, to know what is real or not.
Someone...a 'muon read expert', will have to make some logical chatter to make it clear,,, 'what it is'.

It is a shame that they have made so many mistakes, made contradictory statements, about so many things.
From the day they started grading the site. Being truthful and truly safe seems to evade them.

Boondoggle--'work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but gives the appearance of having value'

Hopefully the world will wake up to what using Uranium to boil water is really about.

Thanks AST, I've had some experience reading x-rays and was hoping to subtract the simulation structure to 'see' the fuel.  It would help if we had access to all the simulation data to compare to the muon scan, but again I see cherry-picked data being presented that only experts can interpret for us.  One more comment though, the simulation shows structure under the RPV but the muon scans doesn't show that structure.  Wonder where that went?  The boondoggle went fubar.

Quote:unincredulous
August 5, 2017 at 2:23 am · Reply
Unit three cover details for reference placing it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxXJ47YN4w
Quote:Horse
August 5, 2017 at 2:39 am · Reply
I'd seen that 'tube too, so it took me a bit by surprise to see the ring moving. At 1:06 in we see the ring on the ocean side were it is now. Missing still is the square crane part to remove the fuel. Watching for when they add that piece cause they'll need that piece before they cover it all up with rings.

08-14  Not much going on after that first ring segment rolled into place on R3.  Wondered why no crane movement - no signs of life.  

Simplyinfo chats
Quote:Obon holiday starts in Japan. News may be less for 2 weeks. TEPCO may have some work planned. In other years they have done dangerous or risky work during these two weeks since the rest of the plant staff is gone

That makes it hard to find something to document.  Pia, this is worth a repost for the links, on ENENews we made Mack's list.  

Quote:Mack
August 12, 2017 at 1:24 am • Reply
Cripes, there has been so much immature arguing on ENENews lately that it's distracting away from the fact there are mature adults are out there who are still working hard to bring us the truth about the dangers of nuclear energy, etc.

Here are a few of them, and you should be supporting them by listening to their interviews and reading their blogs:

(1) Nuclear Hotseat; the latest interview from Libbe HaLevy is timely and concerning:

"Garrett Graff, author of RAVEN ROCK: The Story of the US Government’s Secret Plan to Save Itself While the Rest of Us Die"

http://nuclearhotseat.com/2017/08/02/sec...tseat-320/

(2) http://www.simplyinfo.org

(3) https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/tag/video-blog/

(4) http://www.nuclear-news.net

(5) Sean a/k/a arclight: https://europeannewsweekly.wordpress.com/

(6) http://www.caferadlab.com

(7) Michael's great work: https://allegedlyapparent.wordpress.com/

(8) Ton Kraanen's scoop it:

http://www.scoop.it/t/fukushima-by-ton-kraanen

(9) Lucas' enformable which FYI contains the original FOIA info on Fukushima

http://www.enformable.com

(10) And of course majia, read her new blogpost on Tritium in us all:

http://majiasblog.blogspot.nl/2017/08/tr...s-all.html

I noticed the sparks were blinking brightly in the clear night and I thought I saw a cam4 spark.  Didn't find one at the time I noted but when I scanned I found one a short time later.  Then I scanned the cam1 recording and found more than I thought I would; found a nice double.  

Spark count

08-14 200005 spark.bmp
08-14 200119 spark.bmp
08-14 200352 spark.bmp
08-14 200626 spark.bmp
08-14 200630 spark double.bmp
08-14 200701 spark.bmp
08-14 200842 spark.bmp
08-14 201223 spark.bmp
08-14 201516 spark 3f.bmp
08-14 201823 spark.bmp
08-14 202158 spark.bmp
08-14 202302 spark 3f.bmp
08-14 202312 spark.bmp
08-14 2023318 d.bmp
08-14 2023321 d end.bmp
08-14 202721 spark.bmp
08-14 203701 spark.bmp
08-14 203830 spark.bmp
08-14 204125 spark.bmp
08-14 204238 c4 spark.bmp
08-14 204744 spark.bmp
08-14 205004 spark.bmp
recording ended 20:53:01

19 cam1 sparks
1 cam4 spark
1 cam1 distortion

Pics
08-14 200630 spark double
08-14 204125 spark
08-14 204238 c4 spark
08-14 204744 spark

I think the sub drain analysis reports from TEPCO beginning 4 Aug probably make "the big story" recently. The reports aren't technically all that informative and they leave me wanting to know more about that situation.
https://twitter.com/Cecalli_Helper/statu...2042305536

Yesterday was the most recent analysis of the sub drain condition.
https://twitter.com/Cecalli_Helper/statu...3096640513

Not familiar with the work Mack does...he have a website? That's great we finally got listed. And,listed with all the sources I regularly tweet news from. That's awesome. Thanks, Mack! I wonder if he knows Lucas is the owner of this site?
Pia
Jitsi chat: enfo.pia@gmail.com

Mack has been at ENENews for quite awhile, one of the adults over there.  People post their favorite links to help others find useful information.  My favorites have evolved over time.  I had most of his list already bookmarked.  I think it's interesting how many new anti-nuke sites have been spawned by the Fuku fubar.  There's more anti-nuke activism and a growing awareness of what the nuclear industry has left for another generation to deal with.  The Greatest Generation went headlong into the Atomic Age without knowing all the ramifications; figuring science would eventually work it out.  The Baby Boomers worked on the science but completing the nuclear fuel cycle remained out of reach and they kicked the can down the road.  The Internet generations have better communication tools to reveal the game being played on us by those in charge of state secrets.  
___

04 Aug High rad DustAlarm monitoring post #4
Further testing detected only natural sources.

The day before the first ring segment rolled into place.  Could be the preparations stirred up a lot of dust.  How useful is monitoring the dust when the work must go on?  The alarm didn't stop any work; probably expecting another false alarm.  They don't seem to trust their rad detection systems; seems every time one of them gives a spurious indication it's just replaced.
__

08-15 20:00 noting lots of sparks the same time as last night that I scanned for the spark count.  Haven't done a count yet for tonight, recorders are still rolling.  The eight o'clock bursts make me wonder if something tepco is doing could be causing the spark surges.

(08-14-2017, 11:08 AM)Horse Wrote: 08-14  Not much going on after that first ring segment rolled into place on R3.  Wondered why no crane movement - no signs of life.  

Simplyinfo chats
Quote:Obon holiday starts in Japan. News may be less for 2 weeks. TEPCO may have some work planned. In other years they have done dangerous or risky work during these two weeks since the rest of the plant staff is gone

That makes it hard to find something to document.  Pia, this is worth a repost for the links, on ENENews we made Mack's list.  

Quote:Mack
August 12, 2017 at 1:24 am • Reply
Cripes, there has been so much immature arguing on ENENews lately that it's distracting away from the fact there are mature adults are out there who are still working hard to bring us the truth about the dangers of nuclear energy, etc.

Here are a few of them, and you should be supporting them by listening to their interviews and reading their blogs:

(1) Nuclear Hotseat; the latest interview from Libbe HaLevy is timely and concerning:

"Garrett Graff, author of RAVEN ROCK: The Story of the US Government’s Secret Plan to Save Itself While the Rest of Us Die"

http://nuclearhotseat.com/2017/08/02/sec...tseat-320/

(2) http://www.simplyinfo.org

(3) https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/tag/video-blog/

(4) http://www.nuclear-news.net

(5) Sean a/k/a arclight: https://europeannewsweekly.wordpress.com/

(6) http://www.caferadlab.com

(7) Michael's great work: https://allegedlyapparent.wordpress.com/

(8) Ton Kraanen's scoop it:

http://www.scoop.it/t/fukushima-by-ton-kraanen

(9) Lucas' enformable which FYI contains the original FOIA info on Fukushima

http://www.enformable.com

(10) And of course majia, read her new blogpost on Tritium in us all:

http://majiasblog.blogspot.nl/2017/08/tr...s-all.html

I noticed the sparks were blinking brightly in the clear night and I thought I saw a cam4 spark.  Didn't find one at the time I noted but when I scanned I found one a short time later.  Then I scanned the cam1 recording and found more than I thought I would; found a nice double.  

Spark count

08-14 200005 spark.bmp
08-14 200119 spark.bmp
08-14 200352 spark.bmp
08-14 200626 spark.bmp
08-14 200630 spark double.bmp
08-14 200701 spark.bmp
08-14 200842 spark.bmp
08-14 201223 spark.bmp
08-14 201516 spark 3f.bmp
08-14 201823 spark.bmp
08-14 202158 spark.bmp
08-14 202302 spark 3f.bmp
08-14 202312 spark.bmp
08-14 2023318 d.bmp
08-14 2023321 d end.bmp
08-14 202721 spark.bmp
08-14 203701 spark.bmp
08-14 203830 spark.bmp
08-14 204125 spark.bmp
08-14 204238 c4 spark.bmp
08-14 204744 spark.bmp
08-14 205004 spark.bmp
recording ended 20:53:01

19 cam1 sparks
1 cam4 spark
1 cam1 distortion

Pics
08-14 200630 spark double
08-14 204125 spark
08-14 204238 c4 spark
08-14 204744 spark

Lots of sparks over cam1/R1 7-14-17, same as 7-15-17. Caught a double green spark over R2. Cam1 thick air pulsates like a heartbeat. I vaguely see subtle bursts of energy if you watch closely.

Great observations & yes, repeating Mack's list is more than fine - tomorrow, I will copy it over to the links section.
Pia
Jitsi chat: enfo.pia@gmail.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM December 2017 Horse 9 206 Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM November 2017 Horse 33 2,171 11-30-2017, 09:00 AM
  WEBCAM October 2017 Horse 30 2,457 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM
  WEBCAM September 2017 Horse 26 1,999 09-29-2017, 11:50 PM