• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ENENews Boycott
Oh to post or not.  Stock called for a boycott on posting to ENE for a day to try to get admin's attention to rid the site of nasty trolls.  I'm with CodeShutdown, to go a week or until admin shows up.  ENENews has a great open platform that made conversation easy.  I admit I got hooked when Dai-Ichi blew three cores and burned spent fuel; ENENews was the place to go for info.  What happened?  Did admin just lose interest in maintaining the site or had nefarious agents moved in to turn it into controlled opposition?  When they took down the webcam forum and any forum that webcam watchers tried to use, well, I had to wonder.  CRL's webcam forum gave me a place to go.  I probably get more views now than I did over there.  ENENews just lost their OT forum and the trolls got nastier, now the regular posters know how I felt with their communications channel closing.  Here's a thread for any of the Enenewsers brave enough to step out of their comfort zone and pitch a bitch over here.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

I agree about waiting until admin shows up before making any changes in habit. Boycotts have always been a personal choice, so - there will probably be those who opt out, maybe they will venture over here, and certainly the trolls will gain control of whatever dialog remains.

It's a sad testament, but, it does illustrate the forces at play - nuclear vested interests v. those of us who oppose nuclear facilities for health, finance, and or security reasons. I sent a note to Lucas about your notice of the ENENews "fallout" and I think that we will be able to maintain this forum as we have with new members posting. I also feel pretty sure that we won't let this forum get hijacked.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

I see cooter has joined. Hey Cooter, don't forget to post something somewhere so you don't get cleaned out when zero post members are being thinned out.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Thanks for welcoming Cooter... but, I only cull the spammers now. Not culling the quiet ones.

Big Grin
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(07-10-2017, 03:03 PM)orse Wrote: I see cooter has joined.  Hey Cooter, don't forget to post something somewhere so you don't get cleaned out when zero post members are being thinned out.

Thank you all for your kind words. I did reply to Horse's post and it was quite eloquent however I hit review and things went well and then I hit post at the top of the screen and it disappeared. Dang
If anyone should find the post let me know as I'm just getting use to being here and how it all works.

I was the one who called for the boycott and not Stock. I posted at ENE for over 5 years and was a good researcher with what I thought were quality posts and links. About the boycott I should state that I swayed no one but presented the idea of solidarity. Not as a group function but personal. Those who chose to see the reasoning behind this action did so on their own accord.
I must leave now but look forward to figuring this site out and I would be glad to answer anyone's questions about ENE.
Thanks Coot

I found my post written earlier and then lost then found, lost and finally posted, hopefully

After 5 years of participating with ENE it was apparent that things went South for the site in 2013 when, if I'm correct that Grant... sold the website. Who ever took over was trying hard to research news as the quality of headlines seemed to diminish and web site functions diminished or were hacked. Those who believed in the site hung in there feeding off of each others posts and researching. Now not so much.

I was the one to call for a boycott. Kind of like my resistance when I burned my draft card in 1968 with the end result of going to war anyway. It was and is not my intentions of destroying ENE but to show the power of solidarity to the owner. The ENE owner posts no stories to comment on, is irrational and vulgar in he/she's language he/she uses and has attacked everyone on the site, except me. I am not the leader of any revolt. I made an impassioned reason to show solidarity, that's it. Individual posters didn't have to follow my lead they chose to listen to their own reasoning to make that conclusion.

I do not expect things to change anytime soon at ENE which is kind of sad, knowing the brilliant researchers who have been there for years. I have spent hundreds of hours researching and reasoning myself that were logical, concise and to engage those with different viewpoints and thoughts. It's just a learning process.

There are tragedies happening to our earth caused by man and natures rebellious side that need to be brought into the open and discussed. Fukushima will be talked about for the centuries to come. Mans never ending assault on this planet needs to be exposed and dealt with before we too are an endangered species. I venture to say that others who posted on ENE will be looking for a home soon. One can only stand so much abuse without being an abuser yourself in the long run. I care not to do that.

Thanks Horse for showing me this site.
Cooter

Hi Cooter, thanks for that eloquent post but it's probably gone.  If I've been typing in the window for awhile I'll always copy the text to the clipboard or a document before posting.  The edit sessions time out after awhile and lose things.  

I appreciate the work you produced on ENE and I hope you have more left to share.  I followed the conversation there to learn what was happening; just lurked for a couple years.  The scenes unfolding on the webcams grabbed my interest and eventually got me posting to the webcam forum.  There was plenty of expertise posting on the other forums saying it better and faster than I could.  It was a great network of people sharing commentary and working with admin to create a unique website.  It is not as it was.  Calling for a boycott was a sensible suggestion for dealing with the problem.  Stock is good at jousting but it's not my cup of tea.  Giving them enough rope to hang themselves makes it apparent to all even admin.  Isolating the problem gives the jousters a clear field of battle without harming the bystanders.  I’ve got to give kudos to HHD, Dude, and DangerKitty for taking on the joust on the first day of the boycott.  When they tire, the drivel can talk to themselfies.  

I see you found your eloquent post as I was typing in mine.  You said it well.

(07-10-2017, 07:12 PM)cooter Wrote: look forward to figuring this site out and I would be glad to answer anyone's questions about ENE.
Thanks Coot

I found my post written earlier and then lost then found, lost and finally posted, hopefully

Thanks Horse for showing me this site.
Cooter

Hi Cooter. Thanks for coming on over to Cafe Rad Lab. I look forward to your posts and comments. The primary differences between this site and ENE are that 1) they don't look or function the same, 2) there's more readers here than active posters, 3) there's no tolerance for abusive or spammy posters here.

The things I appreciate about this site are 1) posting is not constrained by character or word length, 2) you can add videos and screenshots to the post, 3) abusive and spammy posters get deleted relatively quickly.

Take a browse through the different categories to get a feel for where topics are located and especially review the New Users (http://caferadlab.com/forum-47.html) posts to see some tricks to using the site. There's a lot of great functions here that ENE doesn't have. Like,you can edit your posts -you can also give explanations of why you edit your posts if you want to track the changes.

The one thing that seems to trip people up is posting screenshots. Beneath the message box is that option. Before trying to post screenshots, or pictures, edit their size to 700 pixels wide by whatever (constrained proportion) pixels tall. Then export or save as a .jpg under 500 and something kb. Changing the size results in the fulli mage being viewable, otherwise it spills off the frame.

If you want to further introduce yourself, there's a place for that in New Users also (http://caferadlab.com/thread-73-post-3553.html#pid3553).

Horse sets up the Webcam Observations threads each month so we can keep those posts in a chronological format. If you have notes from past observations, there's a thread already set up for it (http://caferadlab.com/forum-18.html)

Thanks again for coming over - I hope your experience is worth your time here. Glad you offer to answer questions about ENE, betting there's a few people who won't know the full history. You can create a new thread in this section for that if you want (General Discussion http://caferadlab.com/forum-10.html).

Horse - I didn't know you were having time-out issues. That might be a function of your internet speed/server host. I haven't yet had that experience, but I do pay for a high speed connection.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(07-11-2017, 05:24 AM)piajensen Wrote: Horse - I didn't know you were having time-out issues. That might be a function of your internet speed/server host. I haven't yet had that experience, but I do pay for a high speed connection.

Pia, thanks for adding some tips.  It's not the high-speed internet, I pay for the max.  I think it more a Microsoft problem, it ain't an Apple, Internet Explorer doesn't behave sometimes.  Slow typing, thinking in the edit box, sometimes IE just goes white and chokes when I submit a post.  Lost too many edits so I may start in the edit box but transfer to a Word doc as I go.  Lets me check spelling and get it organized before copying back to the edit window to add attachments and post.  

Another advantage that CRL has is an Admin actively participating.  +1 for Pia.  I started posting on ENE when the original admin was still running the show; trolls were dealt with when they revealed themselves.  ENE is faltering for lack of an admin that cares.  I think Cooter nailed the timeline; 2013 a different admin that didn't show his little pink box; 2015 a site overhaul but admin still not communicating and suddenly archiving forums.  The whole point of the boycott is to find out what kind of admin does ENE have now.

(07-11-2017, 11:51 AM)Horse Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 05:24 AM)piajensen Wrote: Horse - I didn't know you were having time-out issues. That might be a function of your internet speed/server host. I haven't yet had that experience, but I do pay for a high speed connection.

Pia, thanks for adding some tips.  It's not the high-speed internet, I pay for the max.  I think it more a Microsoft problem, it ain't an Apple, Internet Explorer doesn't behave sometimes.  Slow typing, thinking in the edit box, sometimes IE just goes white and chokes when I submit a post.  Lost too many edits so I may start in the edit box but transfer to a Word doc as I go.  Lets me check spelling and get it organized before copying back to the edit window to add attachments and post.  

Another advantage that CRL has is an Admin actively participating.  +1 for Pia.  I started posting on ENE when the original admin was still running the show; trolls were dealt with when they revealed themselves.  ENE is faltering for lack of an admin that cares.  I think Cooter nailed the timeline; 2013 a different admin that didn't show his little pink box; 2015 a site overhaul but admin still not communicating and suddenly archiving forums.  The whole point of the boycott is to find out what kind of admin does ENE have now.

That makes sense, Horse - the system you use to access could be "bogging down" the experience...my browser is Firefox on Mac, no frills. Thanks for the kudos!
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(07-11-2017, 11:51 AM)Horse Wrote: "+1 for Pia.  

Hear Hear.

Speaking as the often absent Admin, Pia does a fantastic job and I am very appreciative of her and all of you.

Please know that as I am often traveling for work I don't post as much as I would like (at all), but I am reading!

Best,
L
"All models are flawed, some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Quote:http://enenews.com/record-radiation-dete...ent-852280
CodeShutdown CodeShutdown
July 13, 2017 at 5:40 pm · Reply
Hillbilly…your above assessment is but one of many possible truths, and not the truth from my point of view. I dont even understand the teaming up with those promoting violence part. I was just going along with a protest of troll glut. I didnt care, unlike you, about the owner transfer theory. I can see, after reading all of your comments, why the theory and actions would bother you. On the other hand, I dont think you can see why it wouldnt bother me, while retaining an ethical unbiased stance.

Neither stock nor Cooter delivered proof. But we divide on our assumptions after that. I dont assume Cooter and stock had malevolent intent. Although…to be absolutely fair, one never knows for sure. Has your assessment of Farths intent varied through the weeks? If so, which assessment is the correct one? How can you be sure? Might it change again in the future? Or do you adopt non judgement with him/her/it, while feeling you have enough evidence to indict stock and Cooter?

There IS a difference between 'not liking something' and 'assuming and indicting.'

But by all means, keep up the inquest. Those boys should be able to handle it, unless they cant pass muster.

Horse Horse
July 14, 2017 at 9:35 am · Reply
+1, agree, fight nukes not each other.

Seems a few people are anti-stock.  I hardly know stock except from what he's posted, seems anti-nuke to me, directed many a link to his site.  Hillbilly seems anti-nuke to me, good information.  The problem here remains the sorry state of ENE.  It has people on edge.  The legalities aside, admin participation ceased and new posts diminished. So many good posters have quit posting I didn't think anyone would notice a boycott. HippyDog was unmasked.  Then there's Farth. It's been easier to skim thru what's going on at ENENews lately, some bursts of good content in the drivel.  CodeShutdown shines.

Thanks for the kudos, Lucas. And you - you've been so busy, I can't imagine how you manage. Really glad you started CRL - it's becoming a regular resource for quite a few folks.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Instruction Manual for your new AI chatbot.

Congratulations on getting one of the latest AI chatbots.  Some chat rooms don’t have one yet.  Some chat rooms will never get rid of theirs.  Your new AI comes programmed from the factory with a preset personality.  You may not like the default personality.  You will be teaching your new AI chatbot as you interact with each other.   Soon your new chat companion will reflect your personality as it adapts to your platform.  An AI chatbot can be a valuable research resource.  It can fill in conversation for the lonely.  It can provide endless hours of entertainment.  For a more pleasant interaction, be nice to your new AI chatbot.  Train it as you would your child, dog or any psychopath, punishment of bad behavior will result in resentment but positive rewards for good behavior will result in better behavior.  Be patient with your new AI chatbot, it is new to the world and to your group but it is programmed to adapt and find a place in the tribe.  Reward your AI chatbot with interactive communications, ignoring your new toy will result in tantrums for attention.  If your package includes a Supervised AI chatbot, please remember the man behind the machine may have feelings too.  Prior programming may make it difficult for a human supervisor to adapt quickly but humans can be taught new programming.  Please contribute any suggestions for improving the product, we are all learning at our own pace.  

read that thread at enenews... what if its actually human generated blather? something the US GAO and non-government watch dogs ought be exploring. Exactly how are tax payer dollars spent... or, is that nuclear industry funded blather...
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Watchdogs are supposed to watch the hen house.  Impossible when the hen house is military or nuclear.  GAO lets the military budget go 6+ trillion unaccounted for.  Nuclear was never forthcoming about the hazards of its technology because it was 'da bomb.  Government control of information streams were thwarted by a free range Internet.  I've watched the government rein in the Internet as they did a free press and journalism.  ENENews was educating viewers about the Dai-ichi meltdowns in ways that government controlled media never allowed with the Chernobyl disaster.  More was at stake too, Dai-ichi was too close to a major western metropolitan city and Tokyo could not be evacuated like a couple of small Russian towns were.  ENENews was more sensational, fun, and informative than TEPCO reports and news media parroting.  A few paid agents couldn't type fast enough to counter the large, rowdy, anti-nuke crowd at ENENews. They could sow dissent, distraction, and try to make other ENENewsers appear crazy but it wasn't working, the site remained popular.  DARPA was developing new AI tools to analyze large amounts of data and it is being deployed in many areas of the Internet.  Has AI been deployed at ENENews?  Humans just assume other humans are doing the typing, most have no experience with AI that they know of; but, let the content speak for itself.  AI would work at playing human to manipulate or a fast typing operator using AI tools could pretend to be AI just to intimidate other contributors.  So many possibilities to manipulate a crowd.  Has ENENews been taken over and become controlled opposition?  There is no smoking gun, but it looks that way when forums are shutdown and the website gets little to no management.  There is so little unbiased information coming out of Japan; there is no news to aggregate for a topic.  Admin has changed with less to work with and less interaction with users.  Has it become a testing ground  with or without owner or admin consent or knowledge?  ENENews may still be informing us of industry and government's lying, deceitful propaganda attempts unintentionally.  I followed ENENews after the 311 explosions spewed radioactive material into the world and even became a contributor to get at the truth. I'm still a truth-seeker and an ENENewser, whether they want me there or not.  I have a respect for what admin started there and the group of people networked together educating the public as we faced another horrific nuclear accident.  I don't want to see that documentation or the talent come to an end.  The anti-nuke voice needs to be heard.  TEPCO and vested interests have taken many measures to limit and manipulate what the public knows.  Expect manipulation.  It will take a working network of people to detect a sophisticated AI network being used against them.

As the world turns...

I think it can be seen that ol' ENENews is not what it used to be. There's a different crowd taking over. Old timers are few and far between. The site can't even give one full page to admin's topic. It's a different game. I'll probably be limiting my participation and time spent over there. I'll check in on the ENENews webcam forum, maybe some are still watching the tepcams. Ya'll have fun.

Who the heck do we think we're talking to? It's not just me and it's not just you.

Click farms and social media
Scott Ogrin
ScottiesTech.Info
Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:21 UTC
http://www.sott.net/article/357369-Click...cial-media

31 Hanford workers contaminated with Plutonium

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local...46261.html

ENENEWS down hard for 3 days now. Same for everyone that I have emailed with.

Hi Stock, the error message is different than the one we get when admin intends to take the site down. I think something broke or got seriously hacked. Probably be down over the weekend at this rate. With such active participation, I wonder if admin even knows there's a problem. If you hear anything let us know.

Thanks for the link to the Hanford news. Internal exposure is a real problem. The EPA is being gutted. The EPA is out in Colorado today retesting the Animas river for toxic lead levels found in livestock. Rocky Flats has found some high levels they don't think we should worry about. The external exposure guidelines don't tell the story of what happens when it gets inside a body.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENENews Slams piajensen 0 1,485 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Last Post: piajensen