• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEBCAM February 2017
Post webcam observations for February here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki
Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archives
sengoku1904
Fuku1long
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

02-01  Watched workers removing the tarp from the CSFP.  

Pics
02-01 103002 men on csfp
02-01 103116 men on csfp
02-01 115934 men on csfp

02-02 10:26 men on r3 again
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

02-02 It looks like they take off the bottom part of the tarp covering.
02-02 094609 c4 men on csfp
02-02 101825 c4 men on csfp

Haven’t figured out why they cover that area, then some weeks later, remove it; then later cover it again.  The pattern has repeated for months.  It can take a few men a couple of days; why the effort?  At night now the glowing light sits over the middle of the framework.  Since that probable gas light has been burning; that lower corner of cam4 hasn’t had any fogging or steaming that I’ve noticed.  Found a c4 spark, the only spark in the hour and a half from 17:30 to 19:10 that I scanned.  It’s about the biggest and brightest spark I’ve seen on that cam.  

02-02 180552 c4 spark
02-02 180552 c4 spark zoom

02-04 am Watching from 10 to noon, a couple workers still on the CSFP but I can't tell what they're doing on cam4. Cam1 has had that dust suppression spraying on the outside of r1 making a nice show.

02-06 09:36 work week starting, men walking on the CSFP.  Cranes start to wiggle around.  Not able to watch as much so help me keep an eye on things.  Evening's are still filled with sparks.  Found long bursts 02-02 early pm.  When I've had time to watch the recording monitors for a few minutes I can always note a couple blinking every night.  

Unit 2 was in the news, catch the thread here - http://caferadlab.com/thread-1918.html

Pia, Saw this in your twitter feed.  Ms Milky posts video of what I called dust suppression spraying in r1.  The crane is holding the tool that does the spraying, probably on the south side with the overspray showing up in the middle of r1.  The sprayer is more clearly seen when its on the west side of the reactor building directly in camera view like it was on 2-4-17 am.  Over a few work days the sprayer tool circles around the outside of r1 just over the bottom tent cover spraying into the exposed grid work. Thanks Ms Milky for great videos and sensational titles; you have lots of good stuff to look at.   Cool 

Ms Milky the Clown 1
Fukushima Daiichi Reactor 1 Smoking Feb.5, 2017

02-09 am Cam4 about 10:29 noticed a worker on the CSFP. Yep, a couple of them walking around, hard to see them 'cause it was snowing. Snow looked like it turned to rain later in the day. Evening lights came on and webs on cam4 at 17:15.

02-13 am watched men working on the csfp and motion that appears to be men working on r3.  The men appear as small white dots and aren’t very clear in still pictures.  The structure on the crane moved from the vent tower area over to the right side of r3 and lowered.  I think it may be part of the additional work required for r3.  I've seen less sparks the last couple nights.  It occurs to me that some of the long spark bursts I noted earlier in the month might have come from just opening up and venting r2 to get workers in and out to measure the radiation in r2's pcv.  There could have been a thicker radiation cloud hanging over the plant that caused more sparking, especially in the rainouts.  I caught worker activity on both the csfp and r3 and had time to load a video.  

02-13 102523 men on r3 - addition

Fukushima roared back into the news with a 530 Sv reading that wasn’t what was expected.  A higher reading would indicate the corium had been found.  A lower reading might indicate that most of the fuel remained in the RPV of the reactor.  The gaping hole needs to be investigated before TEPCO will admit it’s a corium lava tube.   Hardly mentioned was the deteriorating condition of the structure supporting the reactor.  I’ve read a small part of grating may fall and block their ingress for further readings.  One brave article mentioned the possibility of larger parts of the structure failing and the catastrophic results that could occur.  The cleaning robot has withdrawn unable to finish cleaning the tough scale in the high radioactivity of the area.  Toshiba wrote off billions in nuclear related losses.  The forty year decommissioning timeline TEPCO clings to in press releases would require technologies we just don’t have yet.  I saw a report of I131 detected in Europe mid-January of this year.  Iodine131 is a sign of recent fission.  I was noting an increase in spark activity in December and early January.  I expected the increase after that last large quake but the increases strengthened and continued longer than I expected.  Something else going on might have been TEPCO opening unit2 for the first time in six years.  I was glad to see ENENEWS jump back into the fray after a long hiatus.  ENE has been a valuable resource bringing the Daiichi nuclear disaster into focus.  To this day Japan still denies the scope of the problems their three meltdowns are causing to the world and humanity.  It is likely that Japan should have evacuated Tokyo, as if that were possible.  It’s likely that the west coast of North America should be evacuated but leaders back east have already declared the western half a sacrifice zone.  Also not possible is stopping the fission products from contaminating the food chain for the next 300 years of decay time.  Fukushima might fade out of the news again but it won’t stay out for long.  

I was watching the tepcams while trying to figure out what I could possibly add to soften the blow for the faint of heart but I saw a couple small spark bursts, think I may have spotted a couple doubles.  I’ve had to spend time dealing with life’s struggles and haven’t had much time to keep an eye on the tepcams and write up something to report.  Hope I don’t miss anything.    

Pia has been having trouble staying connected; first laptop problems then Ipad problems.  I hope she can get back online soon.

02-16  The cam1 view had that high emissions look.  I noticed subtle blue flashes on the left side of the view like there might have been an electrical storm out at sea.  There are lights that slowly blink on the inside of r1 like a red warning light flashing.  On 2-16 the light was on the left side of the north face of the frame.  On 2-18 the red warning light was on the right side of the north face.  I mention it because the blinking would fake me out when I was looking for a spark blink.  Same kind of light on the two nights, possibly boat lights but they didn't move or drift and they looked like they were fixed to one spot each night.  I thought it was a slow cam1 spark night for the few hours I watched.  At least I didn’t see any of the 20 – 25 sparks an hour kind of bursts in the first half of the night.   With less sparks to count I could scan more hours to see if any pattern emerged in a longer histogram.  Still, it took a few nights to get it together, there were more sparks than I had noted while just watching the monitors.  I wanted to see if the peaks would show any regular timing pattern.  In the last hour it showed something I'd noticed before; more of the fancy sparks when there were more distortions.  

02-18   While I was busy counting all those cam1 sparks I happened to catch one on cam4.  The radioactive cloud over the plant is still sparking camera 4.  The tepcams are showing a hundred or more sparks a night on cam1 in the north compared to the occasional spark on cam4 in the south.  Released video shows workers and visitors being stopped from getting too close to the higher radioactivity near r1 and r2 in the north half of the plant.  Netc readings around Fuku don’t show as much variation as what I see on the tepcams.  The south side is reading half of what it shows for the north side.  Netc has much lower readings; some 10 times lower around the plant now than in the early days.  I still sometimes see spark bursts on cam1 that get almost as bad as it was in those early days.  It would be nice if everyone had a better picture of invisible radiation and what it means to health.  If we could only see it we would probably try to avoid being around it, inhaling it, or ingesting any of it.  They’ve poisoned the well and told us it can’t harm us.  Just don’t drink too much of their koolaid.  Here’s that cam4 spark.  

02-22   I found another cam4 spark.  In looking for sparks I’ve noticed about a 50 minute interval in peak activity.  It’s something that isn’t consistent enough to prove yet with the limited number of hours I’ve been able to scan.  I have been able to find a cam4 spark and then sometimes, not quite an hour later, find another.  My Blueberry video software lets me scan at 2x or 4x.  Scanning at 2x I can usually catch most of the sparks.  At 4x it’s possible to spot the bright sparks but just as easy to miss the faint ones and some of the regular sparks; it does save a lot of time over the 2x.  After finding the cam4 spark, I’d scan forty minutes at 4x, then slow down to 2x to look closer.  Using this method, I was able to scan 4 hours and find a few more cam4 sparks.  The timing between the sparks looked interesting showing that approximate 50 minute interval I’ve wondered about.  

02-22 02:12:05 c4 spark
52 mins 52 secs
02-22 03:04:57 c4 spark
42 mins 56 secs
02-22 03:47:53 c4 spark pair
53 mins
02-22 04:40:53 c4 spark

I thought if I could get an idea of how many sparks each of the tepcams get in a night, I could compare that to the netc readings around the site and maybe get an idea of how much radiation the tepcams are registering and if they track well to netc readings.  Maybe too much work.  I don't know that its unit 3 spitting out these cam4 sparks but its a likely candidate.  I see regular crane activity over r3; they did need that additional shielding before proceeding with fuel removal. Remote crane activity over r1 and the small cranes have been busy this week.  I also noted workers on the csfp on Feb 21 and 22 around 10:30.  Weather has been cloudy and overcast.  

Spark pics

02-24  Cam4 the probable gas light over the csfp was not on last night late and looking at the monitors it hasn’t come on this evening.  Guess they don’t need that light that’s been glowing every night since sometime late last year.  I speculate that they were burning off gases vented from the CSFP with that orange pulsating glow.  

10-05-2016, 02:02  Califnative posted the first TBS sparks during the r1 panel removal
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1527-post-2...ml#pid2860

Time Lapse archive, sengoku1904, hasn't uploaded any new video since the end of October.
TBS must have gone down around the end of October as well.  Couldn’t find any TBS posts in November except to say TBS had been offline awhile.   Losing the TBS/JNN camera view is a shame.  Many of Nuckelchen’s videos showed the major fogging events on that camera and the front of the CSFP area that only showed on the edges of the angled tepcam views.  Maybe finding sparks on TBS/JNN was too much.  

11-12 06:44   6.2 EQ
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1549-post-3...ml#pid3018

11-22 06:00   7.3 EQ
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1549-post-3...ml#pid3053

TEPCO reported no significant damage from the quakes before they had time to check.    

11-24 10:36 cam4 puff of smoke from csfp
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1549-post-3...ml#pid3068

11-28  Chasaha posted the first sighting of the orange glow on CSFP
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1549-post-3...ml#pid3078

12-01  Fuku fogging and sparking like it did when r3 had the broken crane removed or when the CSFP steamed up from r4 fuel removal.  
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1575-post-3...ml#pid3098

12-28-2016 21:38  6.3 EQ
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1575-post-3...ml#pid3359

January 2017 more sparking on both tepcams and the r2 PCV rad measurement on the 31st.
http://caferadlab.com/thread-1742-post-3...ml#pid3566

This little summary was prompted from reading MVB’s posts at AllegedlyApparent looking for possible sources to the recent I131 detections in Europe.  Much respect that he analyses available rad data and shares his observations.  Could Daiichi be the source?  

Radioactive Clouds (Winter 2016-2017) Affecting Monitors Across Northern Hemisphere (more EURDEP & Radnet data)
https://allegedlyapparent.wordpress.com/...dnet-data/
Quote:Fallout goes high up into the upper troposphere, and depending on the temperature and size of the particle at time of release it can take hours, days, weeks, months, and even multiple years before it reaches a ground monitor.  Some of the fallout from 2011 took until after 2013 to reach the ground.  So, if the 3rd week of December saw ‘an incident’, and sampling was interrupted, and data omitted in many places (particularly between Dec. 16 and Jan. 3) to keep it from becoming obvious that something had happened, then even the traces of I-131 in week 3 and 4 of January could be related.

Three things stand out for me in the months prior to the fallout detections as reasons to suspect Daiichi.

1. R1 panel removal
2. CSFP emissions
3. R2 venting for camera inspection of PCV

I think it’s amazing that in six years time so little of Daiichi's radioactive emissions have been detected by the various radiation monitoring networks.  Must be too much background noise; too many different possible sources; or too many data gaps.  Whatever excuses the nuclear industry comes up with to keep Daiichi out of the news; Daiichi is still spewing out invisible radioactive emissions and I see too many sparks on the tepcams.

02-26  Noticed that cam4 stopped at 11:08:39.  Didn't see anything unusual happening before it stopped.  Usually not much work on a Sunday.  Cam1 is still playing.  Here's a cam4 spark I caught right after midnight.  Cam4 still not working this evening.  Hey, TEPCO, can you fix the camera on the Unit 4 side?  

02-26 002220 c4 spark
02-26 110839 c4 stops

Majia has a great post on the contaminated water situation.  

Fukushima Daiichi Kills Robots and Defies Efforts to Solve Radioactive Water Problem
https://majiasblog.blogspot.com/2017/02/...s-and.html

Dents in the floor that weren’t on the blueprints, ha-ha, must be a recent addition.  Thanks for citing those German reports.  Daiichi is poisoning the ocean.  TEPCO spokesman stated “the utility did not disclose the information because there is no evidence of environmental impact.”  Another flimsy denial, par for the course; everyone hears how safe radiation is.  We keep losing camera views.  Were reports of leak problems at r5 & r6 the reason we lost the view to the north?  Notice it’s the feed turned off on Cam4 not a blank or black screen from a malfunctioning camera.  Situation steadily worsening for years to come and they’d rather we didn’t notice. TEPCO tweets “No abnormalities found at #TEPCO's #Nuclear Power Stations after Magnitude 5.6 #earthquake off the coast of #Fukushima at 16:49 JST Feb. 28”.  When will we be losing cam1?  

What are the chances that any particle emitting ionizing radiation will ever be sampled?  It’s a great big world and atomic particles are so very small.  We measure some Gamma; a little Beta; a bit of Alpha; Neutrons when we need to.  Few measuring instruments are commonplace because radiation detection equipment is costly.  The sparks blinking on the TEPCO cameras unintentionally provided a visible signal of the Gamma radiation cloud over Daiichi.  A single Gamma emitting particle close to one of the cameras is detected while the rest drift off in the wind.  A cesium atom emitting Gamma might spark but an atom of strontium emitting Beta or atoms of plutonium, americium, and tritium emitting Alpha would go unseen and unmeasured.  Beyond simple detection it gets more technical analyzing the data to determine what isotopes were found decaying.  Exposure to ionizing radiation both external and internal results in a cumulative dose to the body of an individual.  The more accumulation the more damage to a body until eventual failure.  The air has been dosed from many releases over the last seven decades and Daiichi has added another big dose.  The eventual fallout contaminates the land and the sea.  Daiichi is dosing the sea with an endless stream of tritium and radioactive compounds damaging much life in the ocean.  Spent fuel pools and tanks of highly contaminated water remain as lethal threats.  When does the cumulative dose affect us personally?

Glad to see cam4 is back. Let's hope for the best. The worst has already happened. Take care all.

(03-03-2017, 03:38 AM)Felibi Wrote: Glad to see cam4 is back. Let's hope for the best. The worst has already happened. Take care all.

Glad to see your post. Got the cam4 recorder started. It worried me more not being able to see what's going on. Thanks.

Note that on 1 May TEPCO reported on R1-3 Reliability evaluation of reactor thermometer and stated that R2 had a great rise in temp between 20 and 24 Feb http://www.tepco.co.jp/press/release/201..._8706.html

"On February 24, 2012, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) announced that "In response to the rise in temperature at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 2 of TEPCO, ) "Instruction document * has been received.

( Notified already on February 25, 2012 )

Based on the above instructions, we compiled the latest assessment contents on the reliability of indication values ​​of individual thermometers currently in use and announced today to the Nuclear Regulatory Committee.

that's all

○ Attached document http://www.tepco.co.jp/press/release/201...1j0101.pdf

Reliability evaluation of reactor thermometer and reactor thermometer of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 (submitted in May, 2007) (8.73 MB)

* Instruction Documents TEPCO Corporation's response to the increase in temperature at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 2 (instruction)
(Heisei 24 · 02 · 24 Hara House No. 4)

Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (hereinafter referred to as "our hospital") announces from the customer that the rise in temperature at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 2 of Tokyo Electric Power Company, Inc. Based on the rise in temperature at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel at Unit 2 of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, based on February 15, 2012, originator's office issuance 23, 639, based on " I received a report about the correspondence.

In the "future schedule" indicated in the report, it is said that construction will begin on FY2004 and beyond alternative means of temperature monitoring in the nuclear reactor, but after receipt of the report, It has been confirmed that the index value of one of the thermometers has increased greatly between February 20th and 24th.
If a failure of the thermometer continues, troubles will occur in the monitoring of the temperature inside the nuclear reactor, so our hall will study alternative means of monitoring the temperature inside the nuclear reactor as soon as practicable, I believe we need to implement it.
For this reason, our hospital seeks the following response to your company.

Record

1. Regarding the second unit, regarding the alternative means to monitor the temperature inside the nuclear reactor besides the thermometer that is currently being used, the problem to be realized will be clarified for each means considered to be feasible at the present time And formulate an implementation plan showing specific work process and report it to our hospital by March 1, 2012.

2. Evaluate the reliability of the indication values ​​of individual thermometers currently in use to monitor the temperature in the reactor and the temperature inside the reactor containment of Units 1, 2 and 3, and from our hospital Please report to our hospital once a month until instructions are given."
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Found in twitter 24 June 2017:
 アマリリス15‏ @lemonmadelon1 tweeted 20 Feb 2017
今夜のフクイチはモヤモヤしている蒸気の形がまとまってモンモンになってる感じだ。http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index2-j.html

[Translated from Japanese by Bing]
Is tonight's Fukui Chi moyamoya I 蒙clan shape of the steam are grouped together and feel. http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index2-j.html

[Translated from Japanese by Google]
Tonight's Fukui is a feeling that the shape of the steam that is moyamoya is gathered and becomes montmon

Pia
just pm me if needed.

Pia, picture from 2-20, clumps of steaminess?  Its 6-25 and fogging out all day.  One reason for the clumping and the extreme fogging events is that radionuclides in the air promote fog formation.  Then there's the deliberate emissions releases during normal high humidity weather that we've noted. The fog does seem to hang thick around Daiichi.   Last night I noticed another spark burst about 21:15 to 21:27, 10 in 12 minutes.  That's radioactive fog.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM February 2018 Horse 28 6,575 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM December 2017 Horse 11 3,383 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Felibi
  WEBCAM November 2017 Horse 33 11,069 11-30-2017, 09:00 AM
  WEBCAM October 2017 Horse 30 10,347 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM
  WEBCAM September 2017 Horse 26 7,541 09-29-2017, 11:50 PM