• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • Welcome to the discussion on all things nuclear
  • This site is updated daily.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WEBCAM December 2016
Post webcam observations for December here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki
Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archives
sengoku1904
Fuku1long
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Thank you for your constancy. Smile
Pia
Jitsi chat: enfo.pia@gmail.com

YW, thanks for your support.  Tough task getting the word out.  Saw that tepco expects rads to come down when the new cover is put on r3.  Will we see less emissions coming out of r3 and make it easier to see what is coming out of r4?  Stay tuned for more exciting adventures on the tepcams.  

Cam1 had some light come on in r1 for 2 minutes 11-30 23:17 - 23:19.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

(11-30-2016, 10:44 AM)Horse Wrote: Tough task getting the word out.  

Well, to your credit - the webcam observation posts get the most regular attention, though I have noted that the Krypton-85 & Climate thread has well over 7,500 views which is encouraging. Waiting to see if some astute climate scientists finally put it all together and publish a most disconcerting climate change study. 

Looking at viewer stats I see that Sept through Dec 2015 had more than 20,000 views each of those months. Thinking a lot of that could have been repeat visitors, though that is quite impressive. I'll see if we can run a data report on views. 

Wonder how the emissions are at Unit 1 now that it has had lots of time to "air out." ugh.
Pia

Grey drizzly morning to start December at Dai-ichi.  We were breaking news on last month's EQ.  I knew it was bad when I saw cam4 jerking violently and cam1 sitting on the isolation pad jumping around was something to see.  Smaller quakes don't usually shake cam1.  The quake woke up the ENEnews admin; good to see a post over there.  The fake news had to acknowledge the power of nature.  I saw more articles screaming it's all safe, no damage, and go back to sleep.  The puff of steam from the csfp was a great catch.  In the early days the steam would fill the screen so fast it was hard to see what was happening.  Now the smaller events give us a better chance of pinpointing sources.  

My Vimeo stats on the EQ and CSFP puff videos

Date Plays Finishes Likes
Thu, Nov 24 40 19 0
Fri, Nov 25 8 6 0
Sat, Nov 26 16 5 0
Sun, Nov 27 11 0 0
Mon, Nov 28 1 0 0
Tue, Nov 29 2 0 0

Totals: 78 30 0

R1 may have aired out ticking up rad counts downwind, but a big pile of debris waiting to be moved will keep those counters busy as they move radioactive debris from one place to another.  

The krypton85 thread may be the most important observation we've made.  Agree that more scientists should look at the effects the radioactive noble gases might have on our weather and climate.

10:11 workers on the csfp.  Been noticing slight fogging in that area again, not enough to declare a puff yet or to blame it on water caustics.  A couple cranes busy over r3 and r1.

11:15 workers on the csfp loading or unloading deliveries by the small black crane again.  Looks like a rain/snow smish on cam1.

15:25 Fog was slowly building on cam4 in the south and extended north, now filling cam1's view.

15:45 Fog is now thicker on cam1 than it is on cam4.

16:05 Total grey out on both cams.

16:45 Fog burns off fast at sunset, only shows slight fogging in the csfp area on cam4.  Cam1 shows a fog in the lower right hand corner.  

17:00 Well the clearing didn't last long.  Cam4 total grey again and cam1 fogged on the bottom half of the screen.

Noted sparks on C1
17:08
17:19
17:23 saw both cams blink
17:26
17:28
Grey out both

Scan of Recording
12-01 170735 spark.bmp
12-01 170806 spark.bmp
12-01 170844 spark.bmp
12-01 171913 spark.bmp
12-01 172342 c4 spark double.bmp
12-01 172356 spark.bmp
12-01 172453 c4 distortion 12f.bmp
12-01 172557 spark 1f.bmp
12-01 172647 spark double.bmp
12-01 172832 spark.bmp

First the c1 sparks in the fogging.

Needed a new entry for the next group.  The four minute cluster has some doubles.  I think it was Chasaha that asked if we had sparks in total fog, here's the best answer I've found so far.  I usually don't watch during the fogs because it tires my eyes quickly, but I wasn't sure if this was only natural fog or was tepco adding contaminants making fogging worse?  The kicker was finding a double spark on cam4 in the thick fog and seconds later a spark on c1.  A minute later a double c1 spark in the thick fog.

12-01 172342 c4 spark double.bmp
12-01 172356 spark.bmp
12-01 172453 c4 distortion 12f.bmp
12-01 172557 spark 1f.bmp
12-01 172647 spark double.bmp
12-01 172832 spark.bmp

Pics
12-01 172342 c4 spark double in thick fog
12-01 172356 c1 spark very close in time to the c4 spark
12-01 172557 c1 spark 1 frame one minute after the c4 distortion
12-01 172647 c1 spark double in thick fog

What's all in a day's work at Dai-ichi? Was that a chemical delivery for the common pool? Could adding chemical steam up the pool? Was that Fuku enhanced fog? What was that intense spark burst? Evening now and the nasty old fog is gone leaving the emissions over the reactors in an otherwise still view.

12-01 18:39:25 cam1 stopped recording.  Didn't notice till 23:30.  Started cam1 recording at 23:39.

Video 
Hi Folks - long time no see! Been watching here and there. Great captures everyone. I'm taking screen shots off and on, downloaded Flashback Express (thanks Horse) and will start using that instead of Screencast-O-Matic which isn't an video type option here. Good to see lots of views here, tepco no doubt watching, noticed today they turned cam1 into black and white filter so you can't capture colorful sparks. Here is a comparison from today and 11-25-16 when I saw a light on the ocean behind R1. Was also trying to capture to vibrant neon colors inside R1 just after the 7.9 earthquake. 

Horse. I was watching cam4 shaking around 23:50pm 12-1-16 this today, light stayed on for 2 minutes after the shaking. 

This was when it was snowing, lens was reflecting something red from the bottom of smoke stack 11-25-16.

Here is a real-time earthquake website I found.
nied4maps test on USTREAM LIVE

Fog Sparks

Anybody notice the foggy upper corner Unit 1?

It seems to colorize (a little bit) in sync with the sparks. It does that in several of the captures.
Why would that be I wonder.   Undecided

2016 12 01 17:19  Orange Spark
(from Horse's capture)

zoomed

CalifNative, Good to see you again.  I noticed that black and white look when I restarted the cam1 recorder.  Too tired to post, your side by side shows the difference btwn the two.  Wasn’t sure about the color difference, thought maybe the fog was yellowing out the lights and fog had cleared leaving everything a stark black and white, glad you posted.  The brown splotch on the lens pic reminded me of early days when reddish brown colored particulate fallout stuck to the screen.  It was often mistaken for smoke/fire.  I always wondered if the reddish brown was from rust or something worse drifting in the air.  Noticed a 4.6 EQ East of Namie at 2016-12-01 23:03:27 (UTC).  

Chasaha, the o-ring shape caught my eye too, but I think it’s just the corner of the outer framework.  The shifting light reflected was what made me notice it too.  Thought you‘d like those fog sparks; especially the timing.   Now that the cameras are synced closer together we need to check just how close they really are.

12-02 18:00 Still a lot of sparks in the air.  Ten sparks in 26 minutes.  Found two nice double sparks.  There was an annoying flashing light on the horizon line between r1 and r2, maybe a boat or dockside equipment light.  Noticed lights in that area more often, is it just to confound spark hunters or is Tepco actually doing something?  Noticed in the early days Tepco would shine lights at the cameras to confound watchers.   All in a night’s work.  The light on cam4 over the csfp Chas pointed out could be one of the gas burning units, notice it glowing brightly with all the emissions in the air.  Spark hunting seems to be pretty good after yesterday’s Fuku fog up.  Should I call the 2nd spark a double or a triple?  

Pics
12-02 180917 spark double
12-02 182609 spark double

12-02 22:31 three seconds apart.

Exclamation 
Amazing stuff.  

I would call the '12-02 182609 spark double', a triple or maybe a hat-trick . 
2 near the bottom plus 1 up above the crane.

The 22:31 double orange spark, kind of appears to be monster eyes to me, looks like its at the apex of a dark plume.  Especially the close up.  Could just be my eyes.   Rolleyes

3 seconds... that's close!  I think it means something, not sure what.
I been watching double screen on my own and nucklechen videos and still no match for me so far.
My brain keeps trying to figure out a way to triangulate a possible position for a spark.   If that's even possible?  

General Info:
NASA - What Wavelength Goes With a Color?

(12-02-2016, 12:52 PM)Chasaha Wrote: The 22:31 double orange spark, kind of appears to be monster eyes to me, looks like its at the apex of a dark plume.  Especially the close up.  Could just be my eyes.   Rolleyes

I see the darker area too.  Not sure what it means.  You're better at describing those emissions than I am.  

(12-02-2016, 12:52 PM)Chasaha Wrote: 3 seconds... that's close!  I think it means something, not sure what.
I been watching double screen on my own and nucklechen videos and still no match for me so far.  
My brain keeps trying to figure out a way to triangulate a possible position for a spark.   If that's even possible?  

One heck of a geometry problem.  Is nucklechen doing daily tl posts?  Majia mentioned interesting physics, HZE ions, to ponder. http://majiasblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/i...pacts.html  I think sparks could be HZE ions; might explain how the energy is getting thru the camera lens or case and how the energy could arrive at both cameras at roughly the same time.  Like a nuclear fizzile could send out a wave of energy, ABG gets stopped in short distance but HZE ions keep traveling to the cams.  We're breaking new scientific ground here.  Much we don't know at the atomic level, but the sparks keep blinking at me.  The different styles they come in must mean something too, just no one publishes anything about the phenomena so maybe we'll ignore it as unimportant.

12-03 pm It's Saturday for the work crews, didn't see too much activity on the cams glancing on and off thru the day.  Sunset had some lights on the horizon line, this time to the left of r1.
17:03 spark
17:24 Equipment light shines directly into lens
17:41 spark
17:42 spark
18:00 spark
18:03 spark
18:05 spark
18:06 site light comes on brightening north face of r1
18:11 spark
18:15 spark
18:27 now that equipment light is shining from the r3 pit and one between r1 and r2.  Is it a couple boats in the water?  
18:32 spark
18:39 spark

I can't explain the exact mechanism of radiation showing as sparks on the cameras.  The camera angles prevent us from seeing most of the CSFP area.  TBS-JNN is still off air or we might see it fog up when the CSFP steams up.  Judging by how the r3 pool steamed up when they removed the broken crane, the common pool sloshing after an earthquake and steaming up sparked as much but lasted a shorter time; hours instead of days.

Saw that some were going to start recording.  I licensed a 5 user Blueberry Fastback Express after my 3 user license for educational purposes wasn’t enough.  The two tepcam recorders are old dual-core desktops I beefed up with better graphics cards to do compression and keep file sizes down.  Added another computer to record TBS-JNN, a first generation I7 laptop, has enough graphics power to do the job.  An older first gen I7 desktop with external hard drive bays became my archive computer; it can also record if need be.  My newer I3 laptop does the video work easily and smoothly but only because I changed out the hard drive for an ssd drive.  I recommend ssd drives to my clients wanting a fast laptop, longer battery life, and no hhd crashes to worry about.  SSD drives Improve desktops too.  Video runs smoothly because everything runs in fast ram instead of using slow disk access.  Blueberry express software can read and buffer files across my network, so I can read a file I just finished recording on another computer.  

19:19 spark

posting to turn in early, let me know if something happens.

Horse: In response to your "I  can't explain the exact mechanism of radiation showing as sparks on the cameras" comment in twitter by @winterxfiles said: "watch iso sun footage of cme it does the same thing" (I'm assuming that means there's a solar/space radiation physics equivalent of what observers are reporting).
Pia

(12-03-2016, 08:55 AM)piajensen Wrote: Horse: In response to your "I  can't explain the exact mechanism of radiation showing as sparks on the cameras" comment in twitter by @winterxfiles said: "watch iso sun footage of cme it does the same thing" (I'm assuming that means there's a solar/space radiation physics equivalent of what observers are reporting).

Yes, it was the ISS live feed that showed the same kind of sparking during a solar storm that convinced me the camera could detect intense radiation.  Experiments I've seen weren't conclusive of what type of radiation or how high a reading were required but did show the same type of sparking.  When RogerR and I tried to replicate the sparks on camera, I don't think we had a radiation source strong enough to get any results.  Gamma radiation would seem the best candidate because it can penetrate deeper into material than A or B.  HZE ions were another intriguing possibility.  Space physics was giving me more info than I could find in standard nuclear physics sources available to the public.  Nuclear advocates don't tell us that nuclear forces normal in space are now out in the open on the surface of the earth.  

Trying to document the EQ and subsequent events wore me out pulling too many overnighters, but it was another opportunity to show a casual relationship between the EQ, spent fuel pools, sparks, and fogging.  The CSFP lost 1.2 meters of water in the 311 quake but only made a small puddle in this latest quake.  Pool water isn't supposed to be that radioactive so how can thermal steam from the pool cause widespread sparking?  Are the pool contents in worse shape than tepco wants to admit?  Once the steam evaporates in cooler air does a radioactive vapor cloud remain?  Does a charged vapor cloud behave differently than normal steam?  

Last years pink splotch after the r1 roof came off.
http://caferadlab.com/thread-29-post-97.html#pid97

Were these r1's sfp steaming up?
11-8 orange clouds out of r1.
http://caferadlab.com/thread-230-post-771.html#pid771

11-30 puffs of orange over r1.
http://caferadlab.com/thread-282-post-871.html#pid871

No matter how much Tepco tries to conceal some of it leaks out.

Information 
Observing a lot of sparking.

Unit 1 cam view
2016-12-06 jst
2:18 Aqua high center
2:19 Green on tower
(just seconds apart)

Photo 
Observing continuous flickering.  
(not a spark)

Continuous flickering.... some new or different stage of re-criticality?
Pia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM December 2017 Horse 11 705 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Felibi
  WEBCAM November 2016 Horse 73 35,924 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM October 2016 Horse 52 27,295 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM
  WEBCAM September 2016 Horse 62 26,962 10-02-2016, 01:00 AM