• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS semi transparent overlay
Quote:Pete
October 13, 2016 at 5:42 pm · Reply
I havent been here in a while, its seemed the site is on autopilot after the style change over and no one outside this site really cares about the cams anyway so I deleted all my gigs of recordings. Thats why Tepco changed the player they were using too, so that its a lower resolution and also cant be easily recorded in VLC anymore. I also like how they turned off the Sendai webcam shortly after it
But assuming you have a recent version of PS, to make a semi transparent overlay, first you need to convert the image to PNG. Open the image in PS, then hit "CTRL + Shift + S". Or click "File > Save As". And select PNG in the format dropdown, default PNG image settings are fine and then close out the image.
came online. Same old shit.

Then open the 2 PNGs you want to overlay and make sure they are the same dimensions. "Crtl + Alt + I" will allow you to change the dimensions if they aren't.

Now drag one of them on top of the other and then look for the Layers toolbox. If its not visible F7 or "Window > Layers" will display it.

Then click the Opacity dropdown in the Layers toolbox, which will give you a slider. Adjusting the slider will change the amount of transparency, so adjust it until you can see them both.

Then hit "Ctrl + E" to flatten the two layers into one image and hit "Ctrl + Alt + S" again to save the new image somewhere else, otherwise just hitting "Save" will overwrite the original file with the new one.

Hi Pete, I'm using PS ver 7.0, seems to have the tools described. Tried the bolded step; when adjusting the slider of the top pic I can see, goes black and white checkerboard without letting me see the underlying pic.  Set the slider to 50% anyway. Must be missing a step because Ctrl E flattens the top pic but doesn't do anything to the underlying pic.  How do I get one pic to have the required two layers in it?
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Found this on the net.  Will try it later.  

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/combine-i...26496.html

Step 1
Open Photoshop, and click File at the far left of the top tool bar, then select Open. Navigate to one of the files you wish to use in your composite, and double click it. This opens the file in Photoshop. Do this for all the files you wish to use. Go to File, and select New. This opens a window asking you to specify the dimensions of the file. Enter the dimensions you wish and click OK.
Step 2
Press the "V" key to select the move tool. Check the box labeled "Auto-Select" in the upper left-hand corner of your screen, below the top-most tool bar. Click inside one of your images. Hold the mouse button down, drag the image to the new image, and release the button to drop it. The image appears on the canvas of the new image. Do this for all your images. Note that each image is in its own layer. You can verify this by looking at the layers panel in the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
Step 3
Click and hold one of your images, and drag it to the desired location on the canvas. Resize the image by going to Edit in the top tool bar, and choosing Free Transform from the menu options. An outline appears around the image. Hold in the shift key, then click and drag one of the corners of the image. This changes its size. You can also rotate the image by gradually moving the cursor away from the corner until the cursor indicator becomes a curved arrow. You can then click and drag to rotate the image. Do this for all the images you wish to move, resize or rotate.
Step 4
Click to select an image whose opacity you wish to adjust. Reducing the opacity of an image allows images in layers beneath it to become visible, thus creating a blend. Click and hold on the word "Opacity" in the upper right-hand corner of the layers panel and drag to the left to reduce the opacity of the image. In photoshop, when one layer is above another the top layer blocks the bottom layer from view. If a layer is blocking content you wish to be visible, click and drag the layer you wish to be visible to a higher position in the layer panel.
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Thanks Pete, your suggestions gave me a start and keywords to search for missing bits.  While searching I noticed software that might be modified to count sparks in a recording which was the ultimate goal of this exercise further down the road.  First attempt went okay.  I used two bright sparks and one dim spark pngs.   Set the New image to same size as spark pics and checked transparent.  Put dim layer on top.  Adjusted opacity and merged down.  Not sure how many spark pics can be stacked into one this way, but I’ll try a couple more and find out.  A little practice with the layers and opacity sliders might yield better results.  Proof of concept anyway.  

composite 3 copy

I was hoping to create a little 'spark art' so I chose 6 fancy sparks and built the composite.  Can hardly see the biggest one on the tower.  Sparks get dim and lose color buried under too many layers.  There's probably more PS tools that could enhance the sparks in the layered composite but I've delved deeper into Photoshop than I wanted to.  This technique would be good for comparing the positions of a few sparks.  Anyone is welcome to use the spark pictures posted here on CRL to exercise those photoshop skills for a better output.  

Another rough attempt but this turned out rather well.  Took the composite with 6 sparks and used it as the background; opened the six spark pics and moved a crop of each spark onto the composite background.  Positioned each spark crop over the dim spark location on the background, flattened, and saved.  Here's what I got.

Wow!!! Fantastic display you created. So, were all six sparks visible at the same moment? I'm not clear.
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(10-19-2016, 12:50 PM)piajensen Wrote: Wow!!! Fantastic display you created. So, were all six sparks visible at the same moment? I'm not clear.

No, these were separate sparks, different times, different nights here recently.  I didn't want this combination picture confused with the spark grabs, that's why I tucked it into this thread and not the webcam.  The combo was to see if I could compare positions and colors together in one picture.  I thought it turned out like art based on real sparks.  I have so many sparks to show off, slideshows was one this is another.  Want to find some of the biggest ones to put together.  A fraction of a second blip on the screen, makes it a little hard to convey what these sparks are and what they're doing on the camera views.

(10-19-2016, 01:31 PM)Horse Wrote: No, these were separate sparks, different times, different nights here recently.  I didn't want this combination picture confused with the spark grabs, that's why I tucked it into this thread and not the webcam.  The combo was to see if I could compare positions and colors together in one picture.  I thought it turned out like art based on real sparks.  I have so many sparks to show off, slideshows was one this is another.  Want to find some of the biggest ones to put together.  A fraction of a second blip on the screen, makes it a little hard to convey what these sparks are and what they're doing on the camera views.

It's really fantastic... I can imagine some some cool flip book and streaking styled spark art. You must have a lot of material to choose from, might be a coffee table book in the making...
Pia
just pm me if needed.

(10-19-2016, 01:31 PM)Horse Wrote: No, these were separate sparks, different times, different nights here recently.  I didn't want this combination picture confused with the spark grabs, that's why I tucked it into this thread and not the webcam.  The combo was to see if I could compare positions and colors together in one picture.  I thought it turned out like art based on real sparks.  I have so many sparks to show off, slideshows was one this is another.  Want to find some of the biggest ones to put together.  A fraction of a second blip on the screen, makes it a little hard to convey what these sparks are and what they're doing on the camera views.

It's really fantastic... I can imagine some some cool flip book and streaking styled spark art. You must have a lot of material to choose from, might be a coffee table book in the making...
Pia
just pm me if needed.

Horse had a link to library of shots that ran a slideshow. I thought seeing the sparks one after another was very cool.

If there is an easily accessible library, might I have permission to download them in order to do a youtube 'Fukushima Sparks' video?

(having issues posting, connection to server lost...? New Reply not working for me. Used Quick Reply and that worked.)

(10-19-2016, 07:39 PM)Chasaha Wrote: Horse had a link to library of shots that ran a slideshow.  I thought seeing the sparks one after another was very cool.

If there is an easily accessible library, might I have permission to download them in order to do a youtube 'Fukushima Sparks' video?

(having issues posting, connection to server lost...?  New Reply not working for me.  Used Quick Reply and that worked.)

Hi Chasaha, All the spark collections can be run as slideshows and you and everyone else are welcome to download and use the pics.  If there's pics you want that aren't uploaded to the library, I'll get them up for you.  Pics can be saved from CRL posts, those are jpg, pics in the library are Bitmap images.  A youtube video featuring sparks sounds cool, great idea.  Nuckelchen did a youtube showing the blink in a video and then zooming in on the spark, the link is in the archive section. I think.  Would help with any video footage you'd like too.  

Link to HorseCam library:
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/HorseCam...t=9&page=1