• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • Welcome to the discussion on all things nuclear
  • This site is updated daily.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEBCAM October 2016
Post webcam observations for October here.  Observations should start with a date and ‘jst’ time (Japan Standard Time) and camera(s).  Describe as best as possible what you see.  Contribute data such as weather conditions, work activities, TEPCO or local news reports, radiation readings, earthquake activity, or any information that documents events occurring at Daiichi.  Comments and analysis welcome.  Help keep an eye on TEPCO's disaster site.  

TEPCO Cameras
Cam1
Cam4

Cameras nearby
TBS-JNN
Tomioka
Iwaki
Direct network stream  Futabagun  http://stm.futabagun.jp/510.swf

Time Lapse Archives
sengoku1904
Fuku1long
"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

10-3 05:15 Very pink sunrise on both tepcams, watched as another panel removal gets started, about 30 minutes to get the tool in position.  Sixth panel comes off at 05:47 and is off screen in minutes.  Wonder where Tepco stacks the contaminated panels and what’s to become of them?  As I recall, reactor1 was so bad they rushed to put the panels up in 2011.  Unit 1’s radioactive contaminated reactor carcass is being slowly unveiled; how badly was containment breached?  

"The map is not the territory that it is a map of ... the word is not the thing being referred to."

Photo 
Horse... Thanks for the screen shots from the morning of 9/25.
http://caferadlab.com/thread-994-post-2845.html#pid2845

The sunrise shot is interesting.  It got me to thinking.  Have we ever observed a 'clear' spark, like the one in the screenshot, during the daytime.   From my feeble recollection this may be the closest to a clear daytime spark that I've seen.

Minutes before the spark the scene looked like this.
Heavy fast rolling fog.

Horse's screenshot.

Zoom

Observing on Unit 1 side view.   A consistent flashing light in distance over Unit 3.  Changes colors.  

From about 23:19 hours and over the next several minutes it seemed like about a spark per minute.

(10-03-2016, 09:58 AM)Chasaha Wrote: Have we ever observed a 'clear' spark, like the one in the screenshot, during the daytime.   From my feeble recollection this may be the closest to a clear daytime spark that I've seen.

Find them at dusk and dawn but not in daylight.  Back when they were ‘removing r4 spent fuel’ I would see white ‘dropouts’ on cam4 in the day but I thought it might be because of work over r3 at the time.  I wasn’t recording back then, only grabbing screenshots, so I have no documentation of all that.  It was the dropouts I thought I saw on occasion that started me investigating the spark phenomena.  Snow in the morning can look like a spark storm but they tend to all flow in the same direction not appear randomly like sparks.  I didn’t know what to look for or identify back then and after five years the activity has lessened over the years with the occasional surges now and then.  

(10-03-2016, 09:58 AM)Chasaha Wrote: Observing on Unit 1 side view.   A consistent flashing light in distance over Unit 3.  Changes colors.  

Looked like a boat in the water, stationary, you might still see the port and starboard lights flickering red and green.  

(10-03-2016, 09:58 AM)Chasaha Wrote: 20161003  From about 23:19 hours and over the next several minutes it seemed like about a spark per minute.

21 sparks 10-03-2016 23:00 – 23:59 and then a one second distortion at 10-04 00:01:48 to start the next day.  

10-04 05:44:09  Seventh panel removed from r1.

Pics
10-04 054409 panel removal
10-04 054423 panel removal
10-04 054430 panel removal

10-04 workers on csfp 10:20 to 10:40 and noon to 13:00

2016.10.04_09.00-12.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25jE5DrS4Mg
2016.10.04_12.00-15.00.Unit4side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLrqKgauIXc

Pics

One panel left. Found two sparks on the TBS/JNN webcam this early morning. First one over R2 was 3 seconds long and the second spark near the tower lasted eight seconds. I was astounding but then realized it's probably because the video cam was pausing. How could a spark stay suspended on one place for 8 seconds. 

I think this is our first spark capture on the JNN cam. My question is, is it that big that you can see it from so far away? All the time I've watched JNN cam I've never seen a spark before. Once again, since the panel removal, there are more frequent sparks to be seen.

(10-05-2016, 01:02 AM)califnative Wrote: One panel left. Found two sparks on the TBS/JNN webcam this early morning. First one over R2 was 3 seconds long and the second spark near the tower lasted eight seconds. I was astounding but then realized it's probably because the video cam was pausing. How could a spark stay suspended on one place for 8 seconds. 

I think this is our first spark capture on the JNN cam. My question is, is it that big that you can see it from so far away? All the time I've watched JNN cam I've never seen a spark before. Once again, since the panel removal, there are more frequent sparks to be seen.

Amazing screenshots!   I thought the day would come.  

Early morning... any time stamp, so a look on the other cams could be done.

Kudos Califnative, capturing two TBS/JNN sparks. That camera is really far away; the radiation must be drifting further than I would have guessed.  Sparks are roughly the same size on the three cameras.  Seeing is one thing, but you captured documentation, excellent.

Thanks guys. It was a "sparkly" night, was surprised to catch it on JNN. Because there's no time ticker on the JNN webcam I guessed the first one was around 12:45am or I should shay 00:45am. Second was 1:30am. I always enter the time when I name a pic, you can mouse over the pictures here and see the file name but you probably already knew that. I'll never forget the R3 fire picture you captured Chasaha in 2015. I came across it when I was looking for daytime sparks. Wasn't it you who wanted to know if we had any? I dug up two pics. One at 4:31am, 5-15-16 and the other was 7:00am, 12-12-15.

I hope HillBilly decides to capture pictures too. I use the Microsoft "Snipping Too" which is easy. I appreciate his efforts to identify the sparks by writing it down with the link (on enenews) but quite honestly, I don't have the time to look for them. I don't mean to sound critical but it's duplicate work in my opinion. Appreciate the efforts though Hillbilly Smile

Quote:HillbillyHoundDog
October 5, 2016 at 6:33 pm • Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njlmOYnaN1E
2016.10.05_12.00-15.00.Unit4side
@14:16:55- 14:18:40 (approx), far left, left side of tower, between ground level and crane, puff of smoke or steam is seen, lasting a few seconds (minutes). ONLY evidence of event I see. If the event is not edited, event must be to the left. When I saw it live, the smoke was blowing inland, followed by steam. If it was a fire they put it out QUICK. Must have FF on site…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu2VqrkgwuA
2016.10.05_12.00-15.00.Unit1side
14:13:26 white spark, u1 panel, to the right of windows
(only evidence I "see" of sparks witnessed just prior to the "event")

Many smoke events have come out of that area; some few were well documented with pics and video, just not enough to figure out what causes the smoke.  The spark you found in the TL just prior to the smoke event is the best daytime spark I’ve seen.  Was it just overcast enough; do they occur but nobody notices; did it have anything to do with the smoke event?  The TL time was early by two seconds compared to the real-time recording; common with time lapse sampling rate.  Notice in the zoom an apparent double spark, black, below and left of the green spark.  Onward and forward.  I’m going to try to record more TBS-JNN if I can keep another old beater computer alive looking for smoke and sparks but probably just afternoons and evening for awhile.  

Added: I just looked at other r1 pics, that black spot is apparently a feature not a black spark.

Pics
10-05 141326 spark early
10-05 141328 spark early
10-05 141328 spark early zoom

Hillbilly counting sparks in the TL gives a nice overview of the evening spark activity.  It can help to identify sudden bursts that might be missed by looking at just an hour or two and get an evening average over time.  As the panels have come off the spark activity has increased; high counts on cam1; regular sparking on cam4; now sparks on tbs-jnn, it’s more than I can count.  He might help us find that double whammy of sparks at the same time on both tepcams.  Califnative found sparks in tbs-jnn motivating me to record that stream and include time stamps to look for a triple whammy.  I’m finding a few more sparks on TBS-JNN than I expected and a couple of our old friends, distortions.  Distortion 1 is frame before that has the time stamp, 2 is beginning, 3 is end, and 4 is end time stamp.  Sparks were dim in the shifting background but I picked out a couple of the brighter ones.  Sparks were lasting about 5 frames. Ads were a pain so can't do any hour counts.

10-06 230012 tbs spark pair.bmp
10-06 230032 tbs distortion 1.bmp
10-06 230032 tbs distortion 2.bmp
10-06 230032 tbs distortion 3.bmp
10-06 230032 tbs distortion 4.bmp
10-06 230510 tbs spark 5f.bmp
10-06 230531 tbs spark 6f.bmp
10-06 230922 tbs spark 5f.bmp
10-06 231207 tbs spark 5f.bmp
10-06 231306 tbs spark 4f.bmp
10-06 232721 tbs distortion 1.bmp
10-06 232721 tbs distortion 2.bmp
10-06 232721 tbs distortion 3.bmp
10-06 232721 tbs distortion 4.bmp
10-06 232736 tbs spark 5f.bmp
10-06 tbs date stamp.bmp

Pics
10-06 230012 tbs spark pair
10-06 230032 tbs distortion 2
10-06 230531 tbs spark 6f
10-06 232736 tbs spark 5f

10-07 am Eighth panel of Unit 1 removed.  

Pics
10-07 054832 panel removal
10-07 054951 panel removal
10-07 055121 panel removal
10-07 055153 panel removal

Good shots of the sparks (great close up), count, distortions and panel removal pics Horse. I wondered about not seeing sparks during the day. Must be because of the sunlight and why we only have fireworks at night. It's interesting to see sparks on the TBS/JNN webcam now, just never thought we would see them because of the distance. So is this because they are bigger, hotter and brighter? The failed icewall, flooding and panel removal makes for a hot toxic soup bowl. That last one you posted way above R4, it would have to be extremely hot to fly distance. We would never see that on cam1 & cam4. Had a strange dream last night. Big front page news picture of the plant on fire, huge exploding red flames and billowing smoke was all you could see in the picture. It's probably because of all the talk about fire and smoke lately. 

One more thing, when I check out the Fuku time lapse 3 minute videos, there are hardly any viewers unless word gets out an event happened. Are we the only ones looking at them? It's usually under five or 10 viewers on average. I find it hard to believe there is such a small number of viewers and think tepco minimizes the viewer count intentionally to discourage interest. If feels like CafeRadLab is one of the few (if not only) groups of people who watch them.

(10-07-2016, 10:50 AM)califnative Wrote: It's interesting to see sparks on the TBS/JNN webcam now, just never thought we would see them because of the distance. So is this because they are bigger, hotter and brighter? The failed icewall, flooding and panel removal makes for a hot toxic soup bowl. That last one you posted way above R4, it would have to be extremely hot to fly distance. We would never see that on cam1 & cam4.

Finding sparks on TBS gives us an opportunity to find a double or even a triple whammy.  I started looking for sparks on the tepcams at the time of the tbs sparks.  Have found cam1 sparks close in time to a tbs spark, still have to check cam4 before I get a post together.  I have trouble imagining that sparks are any kind of explosion or light burst above the plant.  The sparks are all roughly the same size even with the different distances and zooms of the three cameras.  I can imagine that a surge of radioactive vapors or dust in the air can drift to the different cameras causing sparks to occur on two or more cams at roughly the same time.  Perhaps there are bursts of energy at the plant that are not visible to human eyes but are being picked up by the camera sensors.  Gathering more observational data might settle the debate on the true nature of the sparks or indicate something we haven't thought of yet.  

(10-07-2016, 10:50 AM)califnative Wrote: One more thing, when I check out the Fuku time lapse 3 minute videos, there are hardly any viewers unless word gets out an event happened. Are we the only ones looking at them? It's usually under five or 10 viewers on average. I find it hard to believe there is such a small number of viewers and think tepco minimizes the viewer count intentionally to discourage interest. If feels like CafeRadLab is one of the few (if not only) groups of people who watch them.

Fukushima is a big embarrassment for the nuke industry and they want everyone to ignore the problems that they can't fix.  Five years of 'nothing to see here' by the media has removed the disaster from the public eye.  Consider that the average viewer doesn't know what to look for and doesn't have the equipment or time to probe further.  CRL picked up the slack when ENEnews webcam forum had problems but I think we lost cam watchers in the process.  If we're going to leave the decommissioning to future generations we should leave them with some documentation of what happened.

When it comes to spark theories I 'flip flop' more than a stack of pancakes.   Blush

Horse: 
IMHO - To be honest I don't see the spark size similarity.  They seem somewhat, relatively smaller on the TBS cam to me, but my eyes aren't too good, so I could be totally wrong.  

Note:  I have only seen white and blue ones on the TBS cam.   I initially thought they might be boat light flickers on the ocean and sometimes they still could be.

The latest early morning sparks, almost daylight, posts by califnative are interesting.  

Idea  So why don't we see sparks during the day?  

- We DO see screen distortions during the day.  (all weather conditions too)
- IF the colored sparks were internal to the camera, THEN daylight shouldn't matter. (just guessing)

My latest thought/theory is that the sparks may also occur during the day... 

One possible reason we don't see them, (during the day), is that they are whiter or 'sparkly' because of the sunlight and our brain just registers a reflection or whatever.   At night, (if aerial), the bright sparks are now more commonly colorized by the emission gases along with angled bright lights combined with the moist air.    Many times when I zoom in on a spark it seems surrounded by a bubble of colors.

Sooner or later, we'll know more.   Smile 

IMO - We are seeing more now that the cover on Unit 1 has been removed.  

I have to wonder, just how important a decision it is?   Taking the LID OFF a Nuclear Pressure Cooker and raising the rad count globally must be pretty important.  Who's making that decision?  I know I didn't get to vote on it.   Why aren't all of our world leaders involved?    ...or are they?

The tent has to come off if they are to remove the rubble over the pool and get the spent fuel removed.  Putting spent fuel 50 feet above ground was foolish on a land based NPP; while it worked fine for refueling their nuclear subs, in light of 'impossible' accidents it would seem a gross design flaw.  Another design flaw was putting NPP's so close together; if one fails catastrophically intense radiation in the area could make work impossible on the others.  As bad as Fuku is we were lucky that all the pools didn't burn up.  Our world leaders are puppets for the real globalist power of multinational corporations and will do as they are told and hide the dangers to public health to keep power production centralized and nuclear bomb material available.  

I think the sparking goes on day and night but the cams can only show the sparks in low light conditions; intensity limits of the camera electronics only let us see so much brightness.  The sparks could be washed out in the bright light of day.  Holloween 2014 I saw a fantastic light show on the r1 tent, but the sampling rate of the TL recordings muted the brightest flashes to just so much light.  The size of the sparks are roughly in the same size range and may be due to energy deposition on the charged coupled device in the camera; enough energy to light a few pixels, sometimes a couple up to maybe a dozen.  The flip-flopping is understandable because we really don't have that much data to work with.  If we had noticed sparks in the early days when the sparks were really flying we might have more answers.  The TL reduces the spark counts; one bright spark an hour in TL might be ten sparks in real-time.  In the early days when I was just watching the cams and no one was recording real time video I thought I saw specks of light but I had no way to back up and look again and no proof to show other people.  Several times I brought up the 'dropouts' on ENE but couldn't get much traction.  I think the fuku1long TL recordings would be a good place to look because they are only 2x but I've only had time to scan a few for sparks.  The sparks have started up again with the panel removal and look what we've found; daytime sparks in low light conditions and sparks on 3 different cams.  It's an opportunity to gather more data and find some answers.

Recording the TBS-JNN stream requires more manual intervention and the view is difficult to find sparks in with the shifting background.  I picked the first TBS spark from the TBS sparks posted above found on 10-06 the 45 minutes before midnight and looked on the two tepcams.  Cam4 didn’t show anything for the 45 minutes.  Cam1 had five sparks and one distortion.  

10-06 225833 spark.bmp
10-06 225930 spark.bmp
10-06 230607 spark.bmp
10-06 230717 spark.bmp
10-06 231608 spark pair double.bmp
10-06 232207 distortion.bmp
10-06 232211 distortion end.bmp

Only one, the 22:59:30 spark was close to a TBS spark or distortion, 42 seconds before the 23:00:12 TBS spark pair.  Fuel for the aerial theory but it was the only match and not visible on Cam4.  Even the distortions occurred at different times.  I was trying to compare and zoom because the sparks were the same color; were in about the right place and looked similar.  The zooms revealed another small bright spark that I hadn’t noticed aligned horizontally to the TBS spark pair.  I checked for a bad pixel but the bright dot didn’t show in other tbs zooms and the bright dot wasn’t in the cam1 shot.  Here’s the pics.  

10-06 225930 spark
10-06 225930 spark zoom

10-06 230012 tbs spark pair
10-06 230012 tbs spark 5f zoom 1
10-06 230012 tbs spark 5f zoom 2
10-06 230012 tbs spark 5f zoom 3

Is TBS reliable enough to search for sparks?  The backdrop is the water in the port; during the day, light reflecting on waves can look like white blips that at night can look like dim sparks but turn out to be false positives.  Boat lights and equipment strobe lights could also be false positives.  I’ve avoided TBS for several reasons; pay to go ad-free, lack of a date/time stamp; limited good contrast viewing and often shaky.  While the sparks are flying and I have a couple recordings; I think this is another TBS spark on 10-07 and a zoom.  On 10-10 a thirty second boat appearance with a zoom.    

Pics
10-07 215637 tbs spark
10-07 215637 tbs spark zoom
10-10 134519 tbs boat
10-10 134519 tbs boat zoom

Will the real spark stand up and be noticed.  Looked around that last TBS spark.  Here's another zoom showing a small bright dot on the diagonal.  Look under the 'J' near the bottom.

That's different. Almost like a few tiny pixels lost.
Pia
Jitsi chat: enfo.pia@gmail.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WEBCAM December 2016 Horse 55 8,731 01-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Horse
  WEBCAM November 2016 Horse 73 17,019 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
  WEBCAM September 2016 Horse 62 13,657 10-02-2016, 01:00 AM
  WEBCAM August 2016 Horse 44 11,724 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Last Post: piajensen