• Thank you for visiting the Cafe Rad Lab Forum
  • We present & discuss radiation health, science & news
  • To keep you informed about vital nuke information.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Cruel Bombs

We always ask what have we done because we don't know what we are doing.

Nuclear Legacy: Seventy Five Years Later

Quote:Seventy-five years ago, in July of 1945, the first atomic bomb test was conducted at the Trinity site in the desert of New Mexico. The bomb, named Gadget, packed a punch equivalent to more than 21,000 tons of TNT and was built from plutonium manufactured in Hanford Washington. Airborne fallout from the Trinity test (and hundreds more that would follow) irradiated indigenous communities downwind here in the US. Several months later, victims of the bombing in Japan would call this fallout black rain. It is worth noting that after the Trinity test, more than 200 scientists wrote a letter directly to then-President Truman, urging him not to use the atomic bomb on Japan.

Quote:In his memoirs, President Eisenhower, who was a WWII five-star General at the time, was against dropping the bombs and lamented their use on targets in Japan:
“I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of ‘face.’”
Even Eisenhower could not stop the Trinity test or the subsequent bombings. Now, with the release of archived records, we know that the atomic bombs were not needed at all!
https://www.fairewinds.org/demystify/nuc...ears-later
We always ask what have we done because we don't know what we are doing.